Downed pilot or crew without vehicle?

Philipp

I am designing a scenario in which I want a US squad to save a downed pilot. My plan is to simply go with a touch objective but I was wondering if there is a way to represent a pilot using a vehicle crew or something. I know that I can dismount a crew and destroy the vehicle but I don't think there is a way to make the vehicle completely disappear, or is there? Any other suggestions how to represent a mission like this in the editor? Idealy the pilot would only be armed with a handgun....

I don't think you'd be able to do it. Mostly, because any teams that you could edit down to one man would probably be carrying stuff no pilot would have. Ex. Sniper rifle, At, etc. The other problem you'd run into is that the pilot would be able to spot enemies in his vicinity, destroying any surprises you may have for the scenario. Albeit, that wouldn't be that hard to work around. Your best bet would probably be to just go with the touch objective, which you could make hidden to add more intensity to the situation. Just give the player a proximity to where he might be found, not knowing the exact spot will up the pressure of having to find him quick, and get him out.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

I would spawn a vehicle that has whatever size crew you want. Set the vehicle to immobilized and in the editor place the vehicle in a out of the way location that won't see any combat. You can then dismount the crew and place them where the downed aircraft is.

I am almost certain that the "pilot" would be at minimum armed with an M4. However, if you created a destroy obj. for the enemy on him that was worth a lot of points then his death would certainly equal the loss of the scenario. So most players wouldn't use him in a very offensive role. I also don't think a single rifle would be sufficient for him to do anything against even a fire team.

One more thing! You could set his experience to green and motivation to fanatic or something like that. That would allow the player to have control over his movements and keep him from constantly going to ground, but make his fire inaccurate enough to be mostly useless.

Edited by Pelican Pal

If you place the vehicle somewhere that is inaccessible and out of sight you can then also set that location as an "exit" objective and the vehicle will then exit the map at the end of the first turn. You just need to make sure no other unit can stumble into the exit location by error (Maybe place it in a heavy swamp tile, and covered with trees).

I actually was inspired by August morning. I think battles with just a few units get very interesting if one side has to reach a certain map location and get back without beeing chewed up to much.

I actually consider having the vehicle parked somewhere in the open, destroyed or immobilized, just for flavor. But touch objective probably is better, that forces the player to move his troops there instead of moving the pilot to his troops. Only trying it out will tell what works best.

I think in my experience with Venafro you can not place a vehicle into a marsh tile. You could just surround the tile with something. You may be able to take a HQ unit and get it down to a single guy and that would also make the pilot feel important.

The advantage of putting the pilot in is you have to get him out alive. Similar to the consulate scenario for CMSF that was just done.

I did a similar experiment with medics in CMSF, found the downside. It is really hard to get the medics to do buddy aid being a single person depending on AS placement of the casualty.

Edited by sburke

Make a square block with high walls. you can do that around a mod bldg to give it a roof. There now the crew can be placed in the bricked pen with no risk of being shot. And only the rescuers with explosives can get to them.

Getting a crew is no problem. Dismount a tank in set up. Have reinforcements show up. If you need to have the pilot show up in the pen as a 1 minute reinforcement.

Actually, I tried to get a one person unit and could not. My thinking is you need a two man team and reduce headcount to 50%. Most vehicles have more than two man crew. Humvees its seems I can't bail out. Even if I get atwo man crew, reducing the headcount does not seem to work. Selecting dismounted results in ammo crates...

Well, I want to go with a touch objective anyways.

Actually, I tried to get a one person unit and could not. My thinking is you need a two man team and reduce headcount to 50%. Most vehicles have more than two man crew. Humvees its seems I can't bail out. Even if I get atwo man crew, reducing the headcount does not seem to work. Selecting dismounted results in ammo crates...

Well, I want to go with a touch objective anyways.

You will have to have the vehicle on the map for that to work.

Once the vehicle is on the map have the crew bail out from it and then place the vehicle in an odd location.

Yea, the vehcile has to be operation. You could probably use a 1552 hummer, although the issue there is that the driver is outfitted like a normal soldier.

If you really want to use an actual crew you could just use the two man crew from a Stryker. Say that the aircaft that was shot down was a helo or a two seater F-18.

You can hide the vehicle in a building.

Place the vehicle on the map first, maybe in a far corner then place a big modular building on that very tile. The vehicle will sit there. Make it immobilized, so the engine will not sound...

And to be sure make the building without a door entrance...

The building will not be transparent, but you'll have the unit icon showing on top of the building.

Possible problem with victory points, not sure the game will count that dead vehicle or not. In case add a bonus to cope with the point loss.

Problem: you can't dismount manually the hummer with 1 driver in game, if you immobilize it becomes the pile of boxes.

If I were you I'd use a Ukrainian UAZ, set it immobilized (and hide as above), bail out the single crew member, rename him as "downed pilot" or something like that (the unit type will be called "vehicle crew", not bad).

make a tagged mod for ukrainian army so that the soldier will look like using a pilot suit, maybe you can make the helmet disappear with a dedicated mod...

Make the soldier weary, fatigued, what you prefer, make sure you set the minimum amount of ammo.

Alternatives: ukrainian scout team (severe ammo should take out the explosives).

So you have russians, USA, and instead of UA you have 1 man with a pilot suit, no helmet, a single AK (let's say he found it on the field), with less than a couple of magazines...

Edited by Kieme(ITA)