Abrahams in da house

Desertor

Well, after a somehow confusing episode involving arty, smoke and close range encounter among two main battle tanks lasing and firing like mad my Abrahams, HQ of the whole task force ended inside a two storied house... I was playing RT in one of the stock scenario. First time it happened to me in 14 years of CM...

And sure I saved the file. :)

• 1 month later...

Desertor I wish I could have my T90s do that - they'd be javelin proof. However seeing as how the Abrams is a rolling death machine in almost all of my battles I feel bad for you, that tank is basically useless. Mission kill by housing.

Desertor,

Now, that's a HIDE command for tanks if ever I saw one! With your proof of a problem firmly in hand, I'm sure BFC will start delving into what happened and why. In CMx1, if you first placed a gun on the ground, followed by a house over it, you could have a gun inside a house. That was cool, but it was also deliberate. What happened to your Abrams was neither cool nor deliberate. Am very glad you took that screen shot.

Regards,

John Kettler

Something similar happened to me in CMFI some time ago. I drove a tank (either the Tiger or the Ferdinand, I can't remember) through a city with very small alleys and it somehow ended up driving through a house. I have to look if I can find a screenshot somewhere...

It is a glitch that can happen. but playing a ton of games since CMBN came out and I have only ever had it happen once to me where I had a halftrack get stuck inside a house.  Managed to drive in but useless there after

I also had a AT gun get stuck in a wall once also. ( I similar glitch)

As for reporting it , you can. But I doubt anything would be done about it, since this bug has always been there but is rare, so likely too much effort for what would be hard to fix.

Nice one, never encountered this glitch myself.

The weirdest glitch I've ever seen in any CM game was when in some Shock Force campaign mission the whole map exploded like some sort of tactical nuke went off. I wish to God I had saved some screenshots of that. One giant crater with several scattered burning vehicles in it, no building left standing (although the foundations/rubble were floating above the the crater). IIRC I had thirteen men left alive maybe, Syrians had four or so.

somewhat offtopic but is it a bug if a tank is able to drive through a tank that got blown up on a bridge? I'm somewhat annoyed because I thought killing a tank on a small bridge would block it off...atleast to other tanks, welp guess I'm wrong - feature or bug?

Edited by Kraft

somewhat offtopic but is it a bug if a tank is able to drive through a tank that got blown up on a bridge? I'm somewhat annoyed because I thought killing a tank on a small bridge would block it off...atleast to other tanks, welp guess I'm wrong - feature or bug?

Feature. The game can't depict "pushing", which might well be employed to shift a wreck that was blocking the way, so vehicles are allowed to "wriggle" through some gaps that they otherwise wouldn't fit down. This also helps with managing the AI, since it wouldn't be able to adapt and would, in the case of a blocked bridge, just end up with everything that was supposed to cross that bridge mired in a massive traffic jam on their side of the blockage.

womble,

But isn't a massive traffic jam the usual effect of a blocked choke point in the first place? Could've sworn such places have been shelled and bombed since at least WW I. Also, I recall that in CMx1 we could push lighter vehicles out of the way. Thus, a tank could push aside, for example, a wrecked halftrack. Wonder why we can't do so now?

Regards,

John Kettler

womble,

But isn't a massive traffic jam the usual effect of a blocked choke point in the first place? Could've sworn such places have been shelled and bombed since at least WW I. Also, I recall that in CMx1 we could push lighter vehicles out of the way. Thus, a tank could push aside, for example, a wrecked halftrack. Wonder why we can't do so now?

Regards,

John Kettler

Of course traffic jams happen when there's an unforseen obstacle. But when a bridge gets blocked, human commanders don't have to just keep piling up the vehicles at the entrance to the bridge. They can stop them short of the bridge, in cover or even defilade. They can change their plans to put more weapons on overwatch, suppress any defenders in LOS of the bridge and make clearing the blockage safer, or divert to an alternate crossing point. If the AI plan has an order for one or more groups to cross the bridge, they will just mill about directly behind the blockage, or directly behind the vehicle(s) between them and the blockage. Any infantry will cross the bridge, stripping themselves of their rolling support. Unless the alternate crossing is very close indeed to the originally selected line of advance towards the next order waypoint, the AI will not redirect its forces.

And still, there are expedient methods of clearing the blockage which the engine cannot currently support.