Testers wanted! - Small scenario, 40 min, variable enemy ORBAT

Hello,

I have a scenario in need of testing. Resupply at Kharalyk. This is a CM:SF style scenario where a U.S. Stryker Platoon and Ukr Mech Platoon move to relieve a pair of Ukrainian checkpoints that are under attack from Separatists.

This is the first scenario I've done that has a variable ORBAT. This means there is a chance for the enemy force to be different each time you play the mission. There are a total of 4 different ORBATs.

Small scenario, 40 mins, early morning with light rain, Blufor only.

My Goals:

• Create a Scenario that focused on combat against irregular forces.
  • Utilize the range of modern weapons within that context.
  • Use a wider battle space than would normally be used for a scenario of this size.

My worries;

• Victory Points might be trash right now (I'm not particularly great at doling these out)
  • Some variable ORBATs my be very difficult.
  • The open nature of the map may be too difficult for the force in use.

Situation portion of the briefing:

The Ukrainian Army established a checkpoint on the outskirts of Kharalyk to control the movement of the Separatist “Lysenko” Battalion in August. It has recently established a second checkpoint to cover both bridges into the town. The establishment of the second checkpoint coincides with increased logistical support from Russia as the front draws nearer.

Within the last few days the “Lysenko” Battalion has made a concerted effort to isolate the two posts and has prevented resupply of the garrison. All attempts have been turned back by RPG and SPG-9 ambushes on the roads between Burty and Kharalyk. Ammunition and other supplies are getting critically low, especially at the newer and less fortified northern checkpoint.

A force consisting of a Stryker Platoon from the newly arrived NATO Expeditionary Force and a platoon of Ukrainian troops move out in the morning to break the blockade. Meanwhile the “Lysenko” Battalion prepares to assault and destroy the checkpoints to secure their control over the area.

If anyone is interested shoot me a PM or post here and I'll send you the scenario when I get a chance. I'll also probably post a link here when I get it uploaded to a hosting site.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

This is the first scenario I've done that has a variable ORBAT. This means there is a chance for the enemy force to be different each time you play the mission. There are a total of 4 different ORBATs.

I do you achieve that? New feature in CMBS editor? I can give it a try. PM me.

I do you achieve that? New feature in CMBS editor? I can give it a try. PM me.

Just how Sergei mentioned. It can be a little clunky to use as you add/remove more units, but for the most part I'm happy with the solution.

I'm mostly worried about difficulty. Being the scenario designer it is kind of hard to ignore your omniscience when testing so I suspect I'm getting skewed results when I play it.

I'm mostly worried about difficulty. Being the scenario designer it is kind of hard to ignore your omniscience when testing so I suspect I'm getting skewed results when I play it.

Yeah, I know that feeling. First you test it and it seems ok, then someone else tests and it's way too easy, so you crank up the difficulty and the next playtester says it is too hard.

Okay, gave it a spin tonight...blundered right into a swarm of ATGM fire...not pretty...will have to try again with a little more tactical finesse.

My first impression is that you have created a wonderful map...love the use of fortifications for the check points...and it is a very large map to deal with..well done.  

Will try it again tomorrow and let you know how I do...still getting  used to the lethality and spotting range of modern weapons...ouch.

Gave up about 25 min in after embarrassing myself, so I am going to start fresh -- First try, the New Checkpoint was overrun in the first 5 minutes, my supporting fires were too little, too late.  I am also thinking I had the checkpoints engage too early, they should have waited until under 200m to buy time and have a shock effect.  I thought I was being too cautious with the supporting vehicles (wasn't sure if the village they start in was friendly or not), but after taking too much time, then not enough, I rushed too many vehicles forward and lost a bunch, at which point I decided I had failed the mission and it was time to take a break and start fresh.  Very challenging, I hope to learn more from this!

Edited by Capt. Toleran

I played this on Elite and got a total victory. I really like the map and the setting, but would have liked some more background concerning all the landmarks on the map. Why are they there and so on. I also like the "trick" of having four AI versions. Don't know what to call the one I got, but feel it was too easy, or I just got lucky. As for the set up phase, I guess all the TRPs are there becaus of the different variants. So one mortar with just 22 rounds was a bit underwhelming. Maybe add another one to use before the Strykers arrive. I got beaten up pretty bad initially and was expecting an onslaut and for sure some heavy vehicles. But once the AT-guns were dealt with, there was little to worry about. I thought there would be more pressure on the victory locations. Especially as there was a real sense of urgency initially. The main problem was how the AI was set up for the assault on the primary location, as they would just pour through the breach with the crater to be gunned down mercilessly. In the end they were so tired the walked up to the breach.I don't know if it is possible to make the AI "blast", but the troops that went around the perimeter to the trenches fared much better. Maybe an more even balance between these two approaches, as it would make it much harder to defend.

But overall, a fine scenario that can get even better. Maybe the other AI variants are harder.

yea, it is. The areas around the checkpoints have been messed with and it was cut by a couple hundred meters on the far end of the map, but otherwise it is the stock map.

Am I to assume it is your original map from CM:RT?

It was going to be listed as a BFC stock map on release since I didn't see any designer info attached to it.

If you want I can put your name on it though.

Edited by Pelican Pal

OK, I ended up with a minor defeat. Did not encounter any large AT weapons other than an AT-14 located in the far east corner of the map. The RPG team in the town where the Stryker force started out was a surprise. I was kinda expecting something along those lines and I had the lead Stryker stop and send out some infantry to snoop around a bit. Just has the last grunt disgorged from the vehicle a rocket went right into the open rear door and took out the Stryker. The infantry squad took one casualty and then managed to take out the AT team.

The New Checkpoint was overrun really early. An infantry team managed to slip away from there and hide near the river embankment, he was valuable later on in giving me some eyes on the units around the New Checkpoint when the Stryker group assaulted it. The main checkpoint was also attacked from the open ground and from Kharayk W, but the enemy never advanced, but seemed content to stay away and take pot shots. I used the mortar wagon to drop some rounds into the town as well as the surrounding flat area. I managed to get one BMP with infantry into the Main Checkpoint to reinforce it. I assaulted the New Checkpoint with infantry and managed to retake most of it, but I was not given credit for it because there were straggling enemy units in the vicinity.

This was a fast paced, fun to play scenario. The units on the map and later on seem adequate for a decent battle. I will have to try it again to see what AI plan I get the next time.

yea, it is. The areas around the checkpoints have been messed with and it was cut by a couple hundred meters on the far end of the map, but otherwise it is the stock map.

Am I to assume it is your original map from CM:RT?

It was going to be listed as a BFC stock map on release since I didn't see any designer info attached to it.

If you want I can put your name on it though.

Excellent :) great to see it being used. Aye it's a map I made. A wee acknowledgement would be great thanks.