Bil's NATO Floating Icon Set - BETA

Okay, I know there are a lot of these getting released lately.. but I think mine are just a bit unique, vehicle icons are handled uniquely... when selected the icons flash blue for Ukrainian and olive for US units... 

Note that these are BETA.. I will be making adjustments, but wanted to get something out there for those of you waiting to try my floating icons.  I was going for clarity and ease of identification with this set.

If you download them and try them out please give me any feedback you like... I know there are some issues: for example the FOW icons, ammo dumps get the ammo bearer icon etc.. I need to adjust those for sure.

Grab them here: Bil's Floating Icons-BETA

Previews:

Bils%20Floaters-BLUE_zpsck9qeiwo.png

Bil%27s%2BFloaters-RED.png

Edited by Bil Hardenberger

Bil great job, I just fired these up to test them out and I like what I have seen so far.  If I did have to nitpick about something it would be that the US symbols are shown in circles vs the traditional rectangles.  (See link below) Also the FOW

icons need a little work but you already know/mentioned that!    Other than that man great job and I can't wait to see it's final release.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_Military_Symbols_for_Land_Based_Systems#Unit_icons

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-02-10%2023-06-26

Thanks Bill,

These are great as I tried them out and love the Red side. I may even try my hand at creating some icons for the Blue side just for the heck of it (the current NATO ones confuse me a little probably because I am used to the allied icons for CMFI, CMBN and CMRT) and may mix and match. I am just starting to play around with Greenfish Icon editor which seems to do the job, though it is fairly basic.

At the very least, it will keep me out of trouble.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I have re-worked these icons in the little spare time I have   ;)   Bil's Floating Icons BETA 2

Most work was done to the US icons... they now are square in shape and I have adjusted the color so they will work in any lighting conditions... (Ukrainian Icons do not have these changes yet).

Bil%27s%2BNATO%2BIcons-BETA%2B2-a.png

When selected the icons reveal the nationality (for the US the icons will flash green). NOTE: This will not work for the shared icons, including, HQs, snipers, FOs, etc.:

Bil%27s%2BNATO%2BIcons-BETA%2B2-b.png

I have also reworked the FOW icons... note the difference between the Russian and US FOW icons.  NOTE: My philosophy is that FOW icons are a warning to the player that something is out there.. hence the design:

Bil%27s%2BNATO%2BIcons-FOW%2B2.png

Bil%27s%2BNATO%2BIcons-FOW.png

This problably not the thread, but I can not resist to ask: what is the difference between FOG (possible contact, something there) and those residual icons almost transparent overcrowding our screens?

P.D.: by the way, excellent mod. The one I am using since it was published. I love it :)

Edited by speedyglides

This problably not the thread, but I can not resist to ask: what is the difference between FOG (possible contact, something there) and those residual icons almost transparent overcrowding our screens?

The FOW icons will fade with time.. and you can have echoes of old icons that stay put for quite a while.. you have to be on your toes to ensure you keep them separated.. the less transparent they are the fresher and more accurate they are.  The fresh ones are the only ones you can rely upon to be accurate.

The FOW icons will fade with time.. and you can have echoes of old icons that stay put for quite a while.. you have to be on your toes to ensure you keep them separated.. the less transparent they are the fresher and more accurate they are.  The fresh ones are the only ones you can rely upon to be accurate.

Thank you, Bil. I know more or less that. What creates confusion to me is all those icons that stay despite of having passed through that place with my troops, therefore adding to the visual noise. Is it that Comm has not spread out to all units? 

Edited by speedyglides

Is it that Comm has not spread out to all units? 

That is what it represents.  If you find fading icons near some of your guys, usually if you select the units that are right there with the fading icons they disappear.  This is because those are your men that know there is no enemy there anymore.  Everyone else has not heard the news that the enemy is gone yet.  Sometimes they really linger and I think that is usually caused by a disruption in your C2 chain.  I have CMFI fight going on now where ghost FOW icons have lingered around one of my platoons for  really long time.  I have not bothered to figure out who's not talking to whom because I am to busy - they will fade away soon enough :)

That is what it represents.  If you find fading icons near some of your guys, usually if you select the units that are right there with the fading icons they disappear.  This is because those are your men that know there is no enemy there anymore.  Everyone else has not heard the news that the enemy is gone yet.  Sometimes they really linger and I think that is usually caused by a disruption in your C2 chain.  I have CMFI fight going on now where ghost FOW icons have lingered around one of my platoons for  really long time.  I have not bothered to figure out who's not talking to whom because I am to busy - they will fade away soon enough :)

Yep, that's the kind of things I ask when I have a break at work. The battle it is too stressing to stop and consider that :)

Thanks!

Bil's Floating Icons BETA 3

This version has an all new color palette for blue forces.. much better clarity in either rendering mode... I also re-sized the blue force vehicle icon size to be better balanced with the red force icons.

Normal Rendering Mode:

Icons-B3-Normal.png

War Movie Mode:

Icons-B3-War%2BMovie.png

Ukranian icons are complete as well in this set... note the difference when each side's units are selected:

US Selected:

Icons-B3-US.png

Ukrainian Selected:

Icons-B3-UKR.png

Keep it up Bil!  I like this version the best (so far).  The larger NATO icon size was bugging me but I didn't want to say anything!   :P   Also the Blue is much more pleasing than your previous version.

Please don't hold criticism back.. obviously the things that bothered you were bothering me as well.  ;)

Where in Richmond are you?

I just loaded the Version 3 beta (replacing Version 2).  All icons appear as black squares.  Version 2 was fine.

Never mind - I had also loaded a bunch of Kieme Mods and now even the stock icons are black so not an issue with your stuff.

Edited by Andrew Kulin

Please don't hold criticism back.. obviously the things that bothered you were bothering me as well.   ;)

Where in Richmond are you?

Midlothian, I work at VCU.  :ph34r:

As much as I do like Beta 3, I would change the US Vehicle color scheme (or the colors of the entire NATO set to a dark blue with white outlines).  IMO the way they currently are they are not cohesive with the US Infantry scheme like the Russian scheme is.  With the Russians everything is outlined in yellow and has a great contrast with the red and I would not touch them.  This is not the case with the US icons, the vehicles have the color reversed from the Infantry (light blue outline with a dark blue interior vs dark blue outline with light blue interior + black outlines)   Also the current US vehicle icons have a tendency to blend into the US infantry icons due to the fact that the outer area color of the vehicle icons are the same as the main body of the infantry icons. (see the 5th vehicle icon from the right in the picture below).  

BilBeta316535.png

To me the NATO icons don't have the same "contrast and pop" that the Russians ones do.

BilBeta321c5b.png

The color scheme that I suggest:

docnatod96a.png

Anyway, these are just my humble suggestions.  Whatever you choose to do is your prerogative as it is your "baby"!  I am just glad for what you have done already.

Bil great job, I just fired these up to test them out and I like what I have seen so far.  If I did have to nitpick about something it would be that the US symbols are shown in circles vs the traditional rectangles. 

Bil...  sorry to throw my hiccup into this (ya just can't please everybody ;) ), but I always loved the circle version for the blue army.  I understand that some may prefer the square or rectangular versions; these seem to fit more with the NATO symbols. 

After playing with my own modded versions of your period based icons for so long, I've found I'm just going to have to create my own set for CMBS...  Now trying to fit the wheeled AT symbol into the 128 square pixel area (circle or diamond) is gonna be tough, but I'll figure out something, even if it's using old WW II style symbols :P

Thanks for all you do for the series... from your AAR's to you Battle Drill blog (an extra thank you for the link to the Obscure Battles page).  I read it all, post little, but always grateful.

Midlothian, I work at VCU.  :ph34r:

As much as I do like Beta 3, I would change the US Vehicle color scheme (or the colors of the entire NATO set to a dark blue with white outlines).  IMO the way they currently are they are not cohesive with the US Infantry scheme like the Russian scheme is.  With the Russians everything is outlined in yellow and has a great contrast with the red and I would not touch them.  This is not the case with the US icons, the vehicles have the color reversed from the Infantry (light blue outline with a dark blue interior vs dark blue outline with light blue interior + black outlines)   Also the current US vehicle icons have a tendency to blend into the US infantry icons due to the fact that the outer area color of the vehicle icons are the same as the main body of the infantry icons. (see the 5th vehicle icon from the right in the picture below).  

Anyway, these are just my humble suggestions.  Whatever you choose to do is your prerogative as it is your "baby"!  I am just glad for what you have done already.

FYI, I did a test with the white borders and I really hated it.. ;)

Standby a new set is in the works that I hope will answer your concerns.