Lucky BMP

CPC922

This has to be the luckiest BMP. I have never seen this before. An ATGM passes cleanly underneath the BMP. Anyone know the real clearance underneath this vehicle?

Check out the Flickr album I just created/signed up since I was so amazed. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130451589@N06/sets/72157650641184616/

Edited by CPC922

My jaw dropped and I quite literally said "Holy F*" when I seen it. 

I actually reported it as a bug at first but then rewatching the replay over and over, I chalked it up to it flying underneath the damn vehicle. 

Now if only it were smart to have blown up while underneath the BMP!!! :) 

That is beautiful.

Would this be possible in reality?

Lets say it is within the realm of possibility, but dont get me started on probabilities...I dont think a high ground clearance is what defines a vehicles survivability when fired upon by ATGMs :D

Edited by agusto

Ground clearance: 

1. "The upgraded IFV can carry three crew members, including commander, gunner and driver, and up to seven troops. It is 6.71mlong, 3.15m wide and 2.3m high, and has a ground clearance of 0.45m and combat weight of 22t."
.45meters is roughly equal to 1 foot 5 inches. So in theory this rocket could fly underneath the vehicle. What are the chances of seeing this again in CM? 
Edited by CPC922

Ground clearance: 

1. "The upgraded IFV can carry three crew members, including commander, gunner and driver, and up to seven troops. It is 6.71mlong, 3.15m wide and 2.3m high, and has a ground clearance of 0.45m and combat weight of 22t."
.45meters is roughly equal to 1 foot 5 inches. So in theory this rocket could fly underneath the vehicle. What are the chances of seeing this again in CM? 

This only the second reported incident i am aware of. It is probably unlikely that you will see this happaen again.

Not to suggest a parallel between reality and CM, but it could probably happen although not likely with one of the more modern top-attack profile ATGMs. I'd also be surprised if an ATGM could fly that close to the ground and still maintain guidance/tracking, be it from the launcher or fire-and-forget. I'd also expect any armored vehicle to sink into the ground a few inches (reducing ground clearance even more) unless the ground is hard or frozen or something.

You can read plenty of accounts of strange things happening on the battlefield and obviously from your example our CM battlefields are no exception. A guy gets shot square in the helmet but the bullet gets deflected enough and travels around the inside of the helmet without breaking the skin. There was a case in Iraq several years ago where a .50 cal SLAP-T round penetrated the side hull armor of an M1A1 and struck the back of the gunner's seat.

Kudos to you for even picking up on that during replay, that is one for the recordbooks.