Artillery Bombardment

Icecold

You'll have to be a bit more specific... The setup area isn't completely sacrosanct, and it's entirely possible for shell fragments to go a decent distance. Sounds like you took a direct hit, though if it took out a vehicle, and that's rarely something the scenario designer is actually aiming to achieve. Does "before he could move" equate to "on the first turn"? Because that would mean the barrage was a "pre-planned" mission, and I think there would have been some degree of outrage expressed before now if that was the usual occurrence in the campaign. I don't know the battle in question: does the briefing mention that your positions are known? If you were, perhaps, a little optimistic about sight lines, and the part of the setup area where the leader got hit was actually in LOS of Russian positions, it's conceivable that a later called mortar mission could get to you inside a few minutes, so if you weren't being urgent about moving out, some FO just "sniped" your leutnant. Are you certain it was arty? Again if you were in LOS of Russian positions some direct fire HE might be the cause of the ruin. Or, again, if it's a called-in mission (rather than pre-planned) you might have gotten seriously unlucky with the drop of a spotting round.

In general, though, taking your post at face value, designers don't drop arty on setup zones on turn one, or, for that matter, later turns, unless the zone has LOS from an observer, when it's as fair game as any other part of the map. But don't rely on it being a "safe zone".

Yes on the first turn, within 20 secs of first turn because he had a delayed move order.

I'm sure there was no LOS to the enemy from that position.

It may have been the case that the artillery rounds, because there were two that hit close together,

were stray. I guess it wasn't his day.

The op is set to receive close-by artillery to the north and south of the position, that's why I think they were stray rounds.

Edited by Icecold

Yes on the first turn, within 20 secs of first turn because he had a delayed move order.

I'm sure there was no LOS to the enemy from that position.

It may have been the case that the artillery rounds, because there were two that hit close together,

were stray. I guess it wasn't his day.

The op is set to receive close-by artillery to the north and south of the position, that's why I think they were stray rounds.

Understood. Sounds like you had Senor Murphy paying close attandance to that poor Leutnant. :(