One more newbie question for now - icon explanation

FroBodine

Page 36 of CM Engine Manual v3.01.  Located in your CMBS folder.

From page 36

"1. Instant Commands - allow one click change in unit behavior. The left button tells
the unit to HALT and retain its Commands. Clicking on the button again tells the
unit to RESUME. The middle button instructs the unit to CANCEL all its Commands and to do nothing for the moment. The right button tells the unit to EVADE
by abandoning its current Commands, seeking immediate cover and perhaps
popping smoke. Although units can Evade on their own initiative, sometimes they
try too hard to stick to their Commands and need to be redirected without further
delay. Instant Commands work in both Real-Time and We-Go styles of play.
"

They have plenty of use in WeGo. Not, perhaps, as tactically vital in some cases, but they at least provide useful UI shortcuts.

Halt is a quick way of deleting all of a unit's waypoints. Either because you decide to do something different with them in the order phase when you issued them, or later, once they've set out on their journey.

Pause is a quick way of clearing an existing Pause (rather than having to press Pause upmteen times to cycle back to "none"), or putting an "indefinite" pause on a unit that you don't want to continue on its way just yet, either at its current location, or at a future waypoint.

Evade is useful because it forces even pinned troops to haul ass, and they do it with some urgency. It's particularly useful since v2 came out, as you can now move the waypoint that the TacAI assigns so that your troops go the way you want them to, rather than the way the TacAI thought they should. There's a persistent suggestion that Evade applies a "morale hit", but it doesn't seem to be very much of one, if it's there at all, and if you're needing to use Evade, it's probably worth it to have slightly grumpy pTruppen rather than slightly dead ones.

Interesting, didn't know that about evade and I've been playing CM on and off for forever.

It acts differently then if I just say gave them a fast move away from where they're at? Sounds like it would have saved a lot of pixeltrooper lives.

I'll have to experiment with that because I'd love a way to get them to run to cover when they decide to cower under fire in the open, mere meters away from a house. 

Interesting, didn't know that about evade and I've been playing CM on and off for forever.

It acts differently then if I just say gave them a fast move away from where they're at? Sounds like it would have saved a lot of pixeltrooper lives.

I believe so.

I'll have to experiment with that because I'd love a way to get them to run to cover when they decide to cower under fire in the open, mere meters away from a house.

Please do; I'd love to know if I've been wrong about this, and it's been something else that's getting them moving.

Very much so !

A normal Fast ( or even Slow ) move away from fire will be cancelled if the unit is Pinned. The Evade will be carried out.

And no, as far as I know, there is no morale hit ( that's historical CMx1 behaviour for the similar Withdraw command ).

There might be an effect due to casualties taken during the Evade though - they will stand and run and can thus be hit, but generally you save most if not all.

Edited by Baneman