Are my shadows supposed to look this bad?

FroBodine

This happens mostly when I zoom in, and while zooming in, the shadows shimmer and dance around.  It also happens to a lesser extent when moving without being zoomed in, but as I get closer to the trees the shadows clear up and look good.

1zr2t7s.jpg

I am using PC with Windows 7 64 bit, and an Nvidia GTX 760 with 2GB video RAM, and latest drivers.

Also - I can't figure out how to post an image, instead of the link to my image.  Any assistance explaining how to post an image on this forum would be much appreciated.  I am pretty computer savvy, but can't figure it out on this forum.

Thank you very much!

Edited by FroBodine

The shadow map exists in an area in front of the camera, and records a projection between the scene's lights (the sun / moon) and the objects in the scene (stuff).  It tries to encapsulate the viewable area.  When you're viewing a large area of the level (like... when the camera is zooming in on a distant location) the shadow map is being projected on a *very* wide area and is fairly coarse.  Therefore, when you're far away from an area and zooming in, you're viewing fairly coarse edges of the shadow map in closeup.

Normally - say, if the camera had actually "gone" to the location you were looking at - the shadow map would be a projection onto only the immediate area and be much finer.  (You'll notice that as you get closer to a projected shadow its edges resolve themselves progressively.)

So... long story short, when you zoom it's not going to look great, and we don't adjust the shadow map when zooming because a ) it would be expensive to do that and b ) with the camera's freedom of movement chances are excellent you'd be looking at someplace entirely different very quickly, forcing a brand new re-compute.

In other words, it's working as intended.  Not ideal, but better than the alternative.