Walkthrough and let's play of the BLACK SEA CAMPAIGN!

tyrspawn

Ah, forgive me if I misunderstand the breach kits as compared to satchel charges.

Re: the Bradley crew, yeah, the behavior was absurd. I wasn't defending the behavior as logical, neither was I attempting to explain or defend any scenario design choices. I was only trying to offer a suggestion as to a possible contributing factor to the admittedly illogical behavior.

Again, thanks for your efforts with the videos.

2. Yeah figured that out after it happened! It's just an inconsistency with map design because in the first mission you can drive your tanks through dozens of trees in a super steep terrain - in the 2nd a little thicket of bushes can stop your movement.

That would do it. Also if you just put a way point on the opposite edge of a forest the vehicle might decide there is a better way around the forest instead. If the wooded area is smallish or has gaps for roads or juts clearings the the vehicle pathing might make a decision you don't like. To overcome that use several way points along the path you want the vehicle to take through the woods. But like @tyrspawn said that was not the case here.

To state what is likely obvious:  you are very good at this stuff.

Yeah, i watched the terrain analysis part of the first mission (i dont want to spoil the campaign for me by watching the full video, havent started it yet) and it is really like a tutorial. Very helpful.

Great videos

I´ll be waiting for the next part

When I played that mission, while I divided the forces in a different way (probably a less efficient way) I came to the same conclusion that dismounted and infiltration was the way to go and the positions I aimed for were similar, except I didn´t go so deep into the area occupied by enemy recon, can´t wait to see how it goes, hope your guys make it in one piece

It´s a very tough one, at least for me, expecting to play a simulation of  something like Kursk 2.0 (or would it be like 5.0 by 2017??), and this one forces you to change your mindset

Hi Tryspawn!

Really cool you take all the effort to show the campaign in video!

2. Yeah figured that out after it happened! It's just an inconsistency with map design because in the first mission you can drive your tanks through dozens of trees in a super steep terrain - in the 2nd a little thicket of bushes can stop your movement.

Refer to the manual - it says you can not pass 'forrest' ground tiles. So if you switch off trees in an wooded area you somtimes notice different ground tiles with shrub and twigs depicted on them, just like in a real forrest. Those tiles can't be traveled by victors. If the map designer on the other hand has chosen to place a wooded area on normal ground tiles, victors can pass. As tree placement is independent from ground floor type in the mission editor, you can have forrests that are passable to victors and those that are not. Learned this the hard way in a PBEM against Slysniper - so I didn't read the manual propably, too. ;)

HI tryspawn, I'm a newbie at these games.  I've been messing around with them since cmx1, im not very good.  I really enjoyed your thoughts on how to approach the battle in video #1. I have no idea really how to approach a battle, since I have no military background; however I found your introduction on terrain and the scope of battle great.  I will watch it again and again.  I also found your videos on cmsf , this is what I need to become much better at these games, I really thankyou for making them, the manual doesn't do this part.   :D

Al

Listen to the Lieutenant-Colonel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ6dDlqye9Q

This is a link to a series of tactical training videos by ret. LTC Jeffrey Paulding.

He mastered tactics - if you know the scenarios he is playing, you notice he mostly plays the most difficult side - and keeps wining (against human players).  B) 

Once you are through these videos, you should know all essential concepts and everything else should come automatically.

Re: the Bradley crew, yeah, the behavior was absurd. I wasn't defending the behavior as logical, neither was I attempting to explain or defend any scenario design choices. I was only trying to offer a suggestion as to a possible contributing factor to the admittedly illogical behavior.

Battlefront says this is on purpose to simulate the irrational behaviour humans show under intense stress. You could get the impression it is just badly scripted AI. 

Where the truth lies, is up to speculation. ^_^ 

But I like to think it is the former, as people go constantly nuts under fire.

Just read this book on this theme:

http://web.archive.org/web/20110131162412/http://www.gustavhasford.com/short.htm

Cheers

Olf

Hey Krause!

Just wanted to stop by and tell you that I really like the videos you post about Combat Mission! I think you are very knowledgeable about what you are talking about, and you take the battles seriously. Its a quality that I have found to be exceedingly rare on youTube, so props to you!

I'd also like to mention that I like a lot of your other video series as well, specifically the Steel Beasts videos. Those were the videos that first introduced me to your channel. I still re-watch them from time to time.

Keep up the good work!

Krause.  Just started the vid, and thanks for the kudos, but hoping I disappoint you as far as predicatability.  There really wasn't much to the AI plan.  If you want me to go full on Russian AGMB some time, I'll build one.  Good website, btw.  

You sure did set up to burn through a lot of your indirect ammo in preparatory fires.  Remember, that is your PRIMARY killing agent in this game!  You do get another section of Paladins, but be conservative and leave something for later.  Remember, no reason your UAS cannot do some of the observing on the NAIs for you.  You don't necessarily have to get physical eyes on.  And do make sure you take out the overwhelming majority of the IADS before committing your CAS or ATK.  

Oh, and I was NOT in the Gulf War (whipper-snapper must think I'm OLD!) - was at Armor Officer Basic when it went down, with my name on the "I volunteer, please send me now..." list.  Obviously over by the time I got done.  All my interesting time has been in IZ and AFG.  

"Hardcore 6, this is Power 6, identify enemy main body serials and pass to X-ray for targeting, break."

"Keep your scouts alive, carefully manage your anti-armor ordnance, and don't shoot dirt with my artillery!  Good luck, out." 

Edited by pnzrldr

Krause.  Just started the vid, and thanks for the kudos, but hoping I disappoint you as far as predicatability.  There really wasn't much to the AI plan.  If you want me to go full on Russian AGMB some time, I'll build one.  Good website, btw.  

You sure did set up to burn through a lot of your indirect ammo in preparatory fires.  Remember, that is your PRIMARY killing agent in this game!  You do get another section of Paladins, but be conservative and leave something for later.  Remember, no reason your UAS cannot do some of the observing on the NAIs for you.  You don't necessarily have to get physical eyes on.  And do make sure you take out the overwhelming majority of the IADS before committing your CAS or ATK.  

Oh, and I was NOT in the Gulf War (whipper-snapper must think I'm OLD!) - was at Armor Officer Basic when it went down, with my name on the "I volunteer, please send me now..." list.  Obviously over by the time I got done.  All my interesting time has been in IZ and AFG.  

"Hardcore 6, this is Power 6, identify enemy main body serials and pass to X-ray for targeting, break."

"Keep your scouts alive, carefully manage your anti-armor ordnance, and don't shoot dirt with my artillery!  Good luck, out." 

I figured if you were a LTC you were probably a junior officer in the early 90s.

I am aware that I blew through indirect suppressing suspected SPAA positions vicinity the construction company - but it's a priority for me to suppress any, even on a whim, so that the fixed/rotary wing can roll in hot.

I am expecting to be attacked by platoon+ sized armored CRPs at my OPs and possibly a company sized FSE before the main body arrives. So i'm expecting unpredictability!

Also I am wary about using the UAS without SEAD completion. I'm planning on playing through the rest of the mission tonight so we'll see how it goes.

Talk about career tracks, same same here.  I was at Quantico for the The Basic School and then the Infantry Officers Course when the Gulf War happened. At the time I felt like I "missed my war". Silly me.

****. My JTAC got hit by a FAB-500 or whatever russian monstrosity is dropped by their fixed wing. This is going to be a very tough battle going forward... uploading the next 2 hours of this mission probably tomorrow.

Also  I ran out of hard-drive space while recording and I think about 20 minutes of the battle are missing! I was essentially talking to myself for 20 minutes :P

Edited by tyrspawn