Walkthrough and let's play of the BLACK SEA CAMPAIGN!

tyrspawn

I hope this is in the right place - I don't see an appropriate subforum :)

Hey folks, Chris "tyrspawn" Krause here! some of you might remember me from my walkthrough/let's play of the original CMSF, CMSF: Nato and my beta video AARs of Normandy:

CMSF NATO videos

CMSF videos

Combat Mission Battle for Normandy Beta videos

I am now making a series of videos on Black Sea! My videos will focus on:

1. Discussion of doctrine, military tactics, systems and military history

2. Unedited gameplay footage in WEGO (turn based) - my other videos were real time, but I discovered how cool WEGO is during my Normandy AARs

3. An ongoing review and commentary on the game itself - i'm playing everything for the first time as you see me do it

4. Blackboard style discussions of what went wrong - essentially an after acton report

The new video series will be posted here:

YOUTUBE PLAYLIST

The first video is a campaign introduction and tutorial on how to properly perform a terrain analysis and operations order (in brief) for the TASKFORCE 3-69 campaign:

You can look forward to the mission playthrough being posted within the next couple days :)

Edited by tyrspawn

Watched your CMSF videos back in a day. Rare stuff to find on youtube :) Glad to see you taking on CMBS now. I'm sure many people will find your videos helpful.

ps: Actually, going through your other videos, we could've met, back in day. 05/08/13, ARMA2 Ukrainian Tactical Gaming vs United Operations TvT. I was the organizer from the UTG side. Were you there?

My recon humvee carrying the sniper team in the first mission spotted quite a few moving Russian vehicles during the opening phase of the battle. I was pleasantly surprised.

Then, of course, it ate something deadly and ended up smoking, burning and with a huge hole on the right side of the windshield...

Edited by Blueonblack83

Watched your CMSF videos back in a day. Rare stuff to find on youtube :) Glad to see you taking on CMBS now. I'm sure many people will find your videos helpful.

ps: Actually, going through your other videos, we could've met, back in day. 05/08/13, ARMA2 Ukrainian Tactical Gaming vs United Operations TvT. I was the organizer from the UTG side. Were you there?

I was on teamspeak at UO doing that event but did not participate. I remember it well though! Glad to hear you enjoyed your time at UO - I was an officer in the community during that time but haven't had much time to arma since getting a full time job in the military simulations industry.

Thanks everyone else for the comments, ill be recording the gameplay of this video tonight :)

Edited by tyrspawn

Good thread, should be stickied.

I was on teamspeak at UO doing that event but did not participate. I remember it well though! Glad to hear you enjoyed your time at UO - I was an officer in the community during that time but haven't had much time to arma since getting a full time job in the military simulations industry.

Thanks everyone else for the comments, ill be recording the gameplay of this video tonight :)

I remember you as well.

As the designer (in conjunction w/ Chris and several multi-run playtesters) I am looking forward to your video on mission 2.  It served as a bit of a test to see how close to 'right' CMBS gets US Joint fires capability.  Very curious what you and the rest of the community think of it.

As the designer (in conjunction w/ Chris and several multi-run playtesters) I am looking forward to your video on mission 2.  It served as a bit of a test to see how close to 'right' CMBS gets US Joint fires capability.  Very curious what you and the rest of the community think of it.

Will get to that one early next week.

I am honestly terrified about that mission. Should be fun.

Just a note Pnzrldr is actually talking about Mission 3. The mission order was re-arranged a bit after you submitted, Scott.

I applaud what you are doing and I am a big fan of your videos.

But SLOW DOWN! You are playing WEGO as if it is RT. Take your time plotting those waypoints. Watch your replays for valuable info.

Good luck!

Yeah I appreciate it. I'm new to WEGO :)

Thanks for the feedback im trying to constantly improve.

I'll be recording mission 2 tommorow night probably. It may end up being a two part video.. seems like it will be a very long.. terrible and high casualty battle.

Edited by tyrspawn

HI tryspawn, I'm a newbie at these games.  I've been messing around with them since cmx1, im not very good.  I really enjoyed your thoughts on how to approach the battle in video #1. I have no idea really how to approach a battle, since I have no military background; however I found your introduction on terrain and the scope of battle great.  I will watch it again and again.  I also found your videos on cmsf , this is what I need to become much better at these games, I really thankyou for making them, the manual doesn't do this part.   :D

Al

I got to this scenario tonight after finishing mission 2. So excited to play it - it's my style of mission! 

HI tryspawn, I'm a newbie at these games.  I've been messing around with them since cmx1, im not very good.  I really enjoyed your thoughts on how to approach the battle in video #1. I have no idea really how to approach a battle, since I have no military background; however I found your introduction on terrain and the scope of battle great.  I will watch it again and again.  I also found your videos on cmsf , this is what I need to become much better at these games, I really thankyou for making them, the manual doesn't do this part.   :D

Al

glad to be of help! Let me know if I can help in any other way.

Posted "outskirts" mission 2 today. It's a part 2 video. Part 1 has been uploaded, part 2 will be uploaded tommorow:

Those Bradleys that got killed at 2:25:00. The cause was a minefield. You can even see the "mines" sing popping up on the left side of the first Bradley for a couple of seconds.

****.. yeah.. I saw it in the end of mission screen but didn't see it during the battle because i was so flustered. Not much I could have done to anticipate that other than sweep the entire path with the engineers, which would have exposed them to fire.

Edited by tyrspawn

Chris, watched your latest today, and I noticed you were concerned about the engineers not using their blasting charges to ascend floors of a building. It's probably because it's been so long since you played Shock Force, but I noticed that you used the Quick movement command (Yellow) and apparently expected the unit to automatically use their charges. However, a special Blast command is needed, and it can be found in the Movement orders panel toward the bottom.

Also, I'm not sure what happened when some vehicles you were attempting to move directly through a tree line instead made a circuitous route to the other side. It certainly didn't look like the tree line should have prevented direct passage, but if you are at all unsure you can test any patch by selecting a movement order and moving the cursor around over the entirety of the path through the treeline. The cursor will change and indicate any action square that contains impassable terrain for the selected vehicle.

One other thing. When the RPG hit your Bradley on the right flank and the troops inside panicked and fled the vehicle, I didn't notice, but it's possible they were Green troops and not Veterans. That could help explain their actions, which admittedly were stupid to the point of being fatal.

These comments are intended constructively. I really appreciate your videos and always enjoy them.

Edited by DaddyO

Chris, watched your latest today, and I noticed you were concerned about the engineers not using their blasting charges to ascend floors of a building. It's probably because it's been so long since you played Shock Force, but I noticed that you used the Quick movement command (Yellow) and apparently expected the unit to automatically use their charges. However, a special Blast command is needed, and it can be found in the Movement orders panel toward the bottom.

Also, I'm not sure what happened when some vehicles you were attempting to move directly through a tree line instead made a circuitous route to the other side. It certainly didn't look like the tree line should have prevented direct passage, but if you are at all unsure you can test any patch by selecting a movement order and moving the cursor around over the entirety of the path through the treeline. The cursor will change and indicate any action square that contains impassable terrain for the selected vehicle.

One other thing. When the RPG hit your Bradley on the right flank and the troops inside panicked and fled the vehicle, I didn't notice, but it's possible they were Green troops and not Veterans. That could help explain their actions, which admittedly were stupid to the point of being fatal.

These comments are intended constructively. I really appreciate your videos and always enjoy them.

1. Nope - I was more confused by the "breach kits"  on the regular infantry squads. Im going to look that up in the manual right now. I was trying to use a "Breaching kit" to "breach" the room and it was turning to a quick move instead of a red line. The engineers were blasting through the walls as intended.

2. Yeah figured that out after it happened! It's just an inconsistency with map design because in the first mission you can drive your tanks through dozens of trees in a super steep terrain - in the 2nd a little thicket of bushes can stop your movement.

3. IF you think about what happened logically, it's absurd. Imagine if you are in a bradley. You hear an explosion outside. YOur vehicle is not penetrated or in anyway damaged. You then bail out of the vehicle into a road as the front most vehicle along the entire FLOT and get shot down. Several viewers noted that the troops were green.. and that's curious. Why would the US send it's ****tiest troops as the front echelon of an armored taskforce to fight the Russians? especially considering the year most of the troops would be combat veterans of iraq and afghanistan.