Hating Russian AGL team in August Morning!!

CMC

Playing "August Morning" and don't mind admitting it is kicking my Tail! The scenario developer must have a wicked mind. With the five AI plans, it doesn't matter how often I play, I never really know where that d$@# AGL team is - and of course I don't have enough mortar rounds to flatten all possible setup locations. I have lost count of how many times I have watched my men mowed down by a rain of 30mm grenades! This game is awesome!

I've had some luck with that scenario (although not the first time I played it!).

I like splitting off a two man scout team from my squad and generally pushing down the left side of the map.  Put your FO in a good location on the hill in the woods with LOS.

Take the two man scouts to the fence at the bottom of the field in front of the woods.  Then send your MGs, one at a time, across the field to the fence.  Then send your leader.  Keep the FO up top.

Carefully push through the woods to the far end.  Then sweep right and try to take the VLs from the rear...and continue on and exit. 

You'll likely be shot at while in the field, but there's some decent concealment to be had from the hedges, and you should be able to ID and knock out whoever is shooting at you with a couple of mortar rounds.

But, yeah, you can't really relax until the GL is dead...

The bad news is they are deadly and they are like rain. The good news is you can get a good indication of which direction it is coming from by the "Beaten zone". (But the bad news again is it has to shoot at you :( ) That is the area in which all of the rounds fall. It is as if it makes an arrow saying "It came from that direction.  And then you can infer likely places the GL is going to be , such as a treeline or building that falls along that imaginary line that is made by the beaten zone.  Then let the 120mm fall. 

Possible spoilers! From the scenario mentioned!

A picture of what I am talking about is below.

Example here.

Edited by gunnersman

I'm ashamed to say that almost half of my men were obliterated before I even got a glimpse of the enemies position. I split my team and had them hunt down the road at about one hundred metres apart, they were soon spotted and torn apart by AGL fire. I ordered a MG team to pour bullets into a house that I thought the fire was coming from, they had barely pulled the trigger when they too were hammered by AGL fire.  

*SPOILER*

For me the FO team was more problematic... kept dropping airburst mortars as soon as I stayed stationary and on my fire base on the wooded hill. I lost my HQ team  and half my machine guns and part of my own FO team to the d*** mortars. The grenade launcher was supressed  by MGs and  by my own mortars until my patrol could close assault the house where it was located. The FO even survived a close assault itself once I located it and downed two of my patrol guys.

Edited by antaress73

Well you guys should probably send some Dane geld  Ken's (c3k) way, as the first iteration of this scenario had the RUS forces with two AGS. He whinged and whined so much when play testing that I removed one just to keep him quiet. :P

P

Edited by Pete Wenman

AGS -  best way to stop them. Just keep sending troops for them to kill til they run out of Ammo. It works every time. :)

That is just so wrong :-)

Couple good suggestions in the thread though. Thanks all. A measure of comfort knowing I'm not the only one feeling the AGL pain.

Mentioned this in my first post. But after buying my first CM game last sunday, I've spent all my time constantly replaying an august morning. Can't tell you how many times I've tried stealthly moving my recon/machine gun teams around only for them to get shot by the MG or AGS team....or pummeled by a mortar. What is super frustrating is that since I know where the FO/MG team typically is (the house behind the map reference point), I know where they should and should not be able to see me. Regardless, my teams are always spotted well before i can see them

PS, even though i know where the enemy is, I treat each scenario like its a new thing and try and respond as i take fire or observe troops. 

Something people can try if they are having difficulty.

I only send one squad (I split them to two teams) down the left side to do the objectives and everything else stayed on the ridge line.  Work the overwatching forces into places they can observe.  Once you got 'lots of eyes' watching, when the enemy AGL and MG open up, you should spot them fairly quickly and destroy them with your mortars (note: precision rounds isn't just for vehicles).

Watch the enemy artillery and move those forces that you think the enemy artillery is trying to adjust onto.

Doing the above should allow you to win with minimal casualties.

Am I crazy to think that my units are spotted way too early. And further that they don't seem to return fire? 

I mean, how does a 2 man MG squad spot and suppress my guys so quickly.....while my guys fail to do anything in response. 

Also, could it be that I don't understand how recon/spotting works for units in brush? Is there a level of forest/brush that you can crawl in and spot in while still being very hidden?

#Frustratedyetdriventogetagriponthisdamngame

Edited by Andy02m