Let's Play: Carbide Carbide (Redux) - Video within

A week off work means a week to play the larger/more complex scenarios I've been itching to get to. "Carbide Carbide" ships with the original game, but a redux with rationalized scoring was made by George MC and is the subject of this video:

The map was gorgeous; lush and an interesting mix of terrain. The defense was interesting and my casualties definitely reflect the good placement on the part of the mapmaker - blind luck is what largely prevented it from being worse. All in all a scenario that captures the essence of the breakout from 'Hedgerow Hell', and has a bit of everything - house to house fighting, combined arms attacks, plenty of artillery and, of course, the potential for some small-armor action.

Edit: Known issues; pixelation of some footage. My recorder apparently does not like alot of camera movement, so I suspect I'll have to use more static cuts in further videos.

Edited by Rinaldi

That's interesting, Carbide Carbide is my all-time favorite map, one of the first I played and I was just going to revisit it now more than a year later..

Do you know if it has several AI plans? Or will I just try to forget what I remember from the first playthrough?

Edited by Bulletpoint

That's interesting, Carbide Carbide is my all-time favorite map, one of the first I played and I was just going to revisit it now more than a year later..

Do you know if it has several AI plans? Or will I just try to forget what I remember from the first playthrough?

Yes, it has several - at least for the Germans. I had to adjust the scenario for the new armored infantry TOs and took note while editing of that.

Oh my apologies, I worded that poorly. I played as the Americans; the enemy defenders have several AI plans. I'm not sure if the US have more than one AI plan. As a rule of thumb I tend to play as the attackers.

Edited by Rinaldi

As often as possible I like to play scenarios from both sides in turn, and then compare how I have done. This goes back to "Ham and Jam" the first battle in Beyond Overlord. Of course, because I was totally new to the game I played as the Axis first as they were defending, and then the Allies. Ever since then that is how I've played the game, Axis first, Allies second.

With this battle, I won as the Axis quite easily. Then got stuffed by the AI when I fought as the Aliies. Ho hum.

Oh my apologies, I worded that poorly. I played as the Americans; the enemy defenders have several AI plans. I'm not sure if the US have more than one AI plan. As a rule of thumb I tend to play as the attackers.

Thanks, sounds good. I think I will take a another crack at it tonight. Beer in hand to aid my tactical thinking.

With this battle, I won as the Axis quite easily. Then got stuffed by the AI when I fought as the Aliies. Ho hum.

Not really a surprise you beat the AI on the defense. When the AI attack is as canalised as a river crossing has to be, it really doesn't stand much chance, against forces that give the AI a chance of defending successfully, when those forces are being marshalled by a human intellect.

That's my mentality as well. Asides from the obvious shortcomings of defending against a side that is also designed to be handled by a human, the lack of initiative on defense is what usually drives me away from it; I enjoy calling the shots. That being said, its a good way to learn a scenario, especially if you get your ass handed to you on the attack. When I first played "Buying the Farm" way back in 1.11 I got slaughtered. So I loaded up as Axis and took a look at what the mapper did with the Allied AI. Gave me some ideas.

There's also a few dedicated defensive missions; like Red Thunder's "Red Hordes" and "Last defense" in Normandy (I believe that's the name) that are legitimately difficult as the defense because the Attackers have overmatched firepower. 

The Germans are definitely more flexible at the squad level, if you're an infantryman. More automatics means you can do some interesting things with the fireteams. I absolutely love the firepower that an American rifle platoon can deliver if you can get it into good firing positions safely though.

I was always under the presumption as well that the M4 series generally has superior spotting abilities to the Pz.IV and Panther, which I put a premium on. Not entirely sure on the veracity of this, though. I've probably been operating off a placebo this entire time.

Edited by Rinaldi

Now I watched the video, and can't help but get the idea you knew the enemy positions? Moving tanks through forest without infantry support, avoiding the mines on the road on the right, setting a pre-game barrage on hill 30 where the enemy AT gun is, advancing rapidly without scouting..

Or maybe it was just luck?

Now that's an odd accusation to make, especially in light of all evidence to the contrary.

It doesn't take great foresight or genius to expect the bridges to be mined, especially with the addition of engineers. As for Hill 30, you start with heavy Intel on it, as shown. Finally, given that my drive on Hill 30 was enfiladed, all my losses to snipers, and the StuG killing several M3s before u became aware of it; well I'm beginning to doubt my own omniesence.

You may have seen the video, but are you sure you watched it? ;)

I was going to give this one a shot with the Americans, but then I noticed every single one of my armored infantry platoons have two first lieutenants: one with the platoon HQ team and the other with the 1st Squad.  In fact, the 1st Squad has a HQ floating icon rather than an infantry one, but it's  identified as an armored rifle squad not an HQ in the unit panel.  Plus, every 1st Squad has two members carrying carbines rather than M1s, but these squad/HQ hybrids don't have radios.

Thinking it may be a bug with the scenario, I created a Quick Battle with a U.S. armored infantry company and got every platoon being led by a 1st lieutenant who is embedded in that platoon's 1st Squad (and unlike the scenario there aren't even any separate platoon HQ teams.) 

Is this a bug or some sort of strange TO&E unique to U.S. armored infantry?

I am updated to 3.11 with the Vehicle Pack.  I recently installed CMBN to a new PC.  So, I thought it may have been an issue with my installation, but I checked CMBN on my older machine and got the same issue.

Its because the TO and E has changed since the mission was originally made; now the HQ leads first squad of an AIB; incorporating a new feature from Red Thunder. The version in-video is a quick fix I made by deleting every unit and putting in a new one with the same designations (e.g A1, U1, etc.).

Its because the TO and E has changed since the mission was originally made; now the HQ leads first squad of an AIB; incorporating a new feature from Red Thunder. The version in-video is a quick fix I made by deleting every unit and putting in a new one with the same designations (e.g A1, U1, etc.).

Thanks for the quick reply and answer.  I was worried there for a moment that I had screwed-up my installation, but upon seeing the same issue on my older PC then I suspected a TO&E change had been done with an upgrade or patch.  So, it's good to know that everything is working as it should.

I have had the redux version of this scenario for years, but it appears a "redux redux" is needed.  As much as I appreciate and enjoy BF releasing upgrades and constantly improving the engine, it is unfortunate how some of the original CMBN scenarios and campaigns are now a bit out-of-date.

Yeah, its a pain, but its a quick fix for myself, usually just a matter of jotting down the assignments then re doing it all.

I plan on re-doing "A Delaying Action" and "Bridge Number 7" (Already filmed, but I don't like spamming releases) in my new style, then giving Black Sea some much needed attention. 

However, I've already re-touched "A Strange Awakening" and "Carbide Carbide" and made them MG/3.11 updated, I plan on giving the same attention to "Bloody Dawn" and "Huzzar!", the latter especially as its on the long-list of let's plays. Can you tell I'm a tread-head ;)? I'm not sure what the rule of thumb is on re-releasing such scenarios, but if I'm able to I don't mind hosting the missions with fixed Armored Infantry TO and Es as I make them.

Edited by Rinaldi