CM Maps Universal Translator Tool

I think the fact that we have such a full featured editor available speaks volumes that BFC think there is a benefit to them to have as many people as possible create scenarios. That benefit extends to all of us.

Having said that (please also note I do not speak for BFC in any way so my reasoning may not match theirs at all), making a map conversion tool is not as easy as flipping a bit/byte. Yes, I know you guys have had success, fine but as you noted lots of stuff does not convert a legit tool would have to deal with that in a safe manner. There would likely have to be some user influence about converting or stripping flavour objects or certain buildings etc. Plus, there would be some kind of support needed. Things could get interesting. For example earlier someone mentioned that high bocage worked in CMBS. What if that was just luck and a future clean up takes that away and now your maps crash the game. Yuck. If they create an official tool they have to deal with that and deal with the crash later. Heck if you guys hack it and create a scenario that later crashes - guess what they might have to spend time dealing with that too (because people who are not in the loop will log a support ticket that scenario xyz crashes their game, please fix).

I hope those waves are not too negative for ya :D

Hi Ian,

Roger all that. Glad to hear your thoughts. Not negative at all. For the record, this thread was just my attempt to create a pleasantly phrased request in one more thread among hundreds here floating down the stream to cyber oblivion or whatever you want to call it. Those dark and scary forum pages with threads from years ago where nobody goes after dark. Note: I am not a programmer and do not play one on TV.

Don't keep the high bocage. Don't keep family specific houses/terrain. Gut out all the flavor objects and zero out everything as close as possible to the least common denominator between the families if such exists like a brand new scenario file you create in the editor. What remains in the *.btt are your elevations and your AI plan if possible. 

I don't mind making my own maps and AI plans. It is fun for me. But sometimes it is much easier for me to go map shopping and use some parts of stuff that has already been made. This map translation topic is not a passion level issue with me but some issues came to the fore here and I took my discussion with ASL Veteran to a PM. We eventually agreed to a ceasefire. It turns out that he is a stock scenario writer and I told him, after I learned his real name, that I had just a few months ago taken one of his scenarios and deleted all units, all AI plans, cropped map down to about a 4th the size, added hedges, roads, a new village, forest, my own units, AI plan, objective names and made it a scenario in my campaign I uploaded. I thanked the person who had their name on that other scenario in my designer's notes and in another scenario in my campaign, I named a fictional town after him and had a battle there. He then said it was okay to keep it on the websites for download. Why did I use his scenario? Well, one little part of his map seemed to roughly match what I had in my imagination. Like a few chords in one song and then I write a new song I guess?

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

This was always a risky proposition. Likely the converted map has something on it that does not exist in the new destination. You might be able to solve it by closely examining the map for possible candidate terrain, buildings or other features and delete and replace them. Can you actually enter the 3D preview in the scenario editor?

2 hours ago, IanL said:

Likely the converted map has something on it that does not exist in the new destination. You might be able to solve it by closely examining the map for possible candidate terrain, buildings or other features and delete and replace them. Can you actually enter the 3D preview in the scenario editor?

It does load up. It even looks pretty great!  The buildings are converted, as best I can tell.  The buildings are converted, as best I can tell.

The map is 024Attk Huge Open 024.btt and I'm trying to take it from CMFI to CMBS. I attached the file.

024Attk Huge Open 024.btt

1 hour ago, DougPhresh said:

It does load up. It even looks pretty great!  The buildings are converted, as best I can tell.  The buildings are converted, as best I can tell.

The map is 024Attk Huge Open 024.btt and I'm trying to take it from CMFI to CMBS. I attached the file.

024Attk Huge Open 024.btt

Saving the map in the CMBS editor under a different name did the trick for me. Loads fine now in QB. Before saving under a different name it was crashing CMBS although I could view it fine in the 3D view of the scen editor.

Working map attached. Enjoy!

024Attk Huge Open.btt

4 hours ago, DesertFox said:

Saving the map in the CMBS editor under a different name did the trick for me. Loads fine now in QB. Before saving under a different name it was crashing CMBS although I could view it fine in the 3D view of the scen editor.

Working map attached. Enjoy!

024Attk Huge Open.btt

Worked like a charm! In the future, do I do more-or-less the same thing?

1 hour ago, DougPhresh said:

Yep!

Oh, now that is freaking outstanding!!  :D

That map opened with no problems....very, very cool...the possibilities are almost limitless for QB junkies like myself....thanks very much!

More CMFI, please....I have a Mac and am not nearly smart enough to make this converter widget work, but will happily sing kudos to all who can.....

1 hour ago, grunt_GI said:

Oh, now that is freaking outstanding!!  :D

That map opened with no problems....very, very cool...the possibilities are almost limitless for QB junkies like myself....thanks very much!

More CMFI, please....I have a Mac and am not nearly smart enough to make this converter widget work, but will happily sing kudos to all who can.....

I'm working through the Huge QB maps first. Let me know if you run into any problems.

107Asslt Huge Bridge.btt

On 7/18/2017 at 8:40 AM, grunt_GI said:

Roger that...thanks much...

@DougPhresh

So loaded up 107Asslt Huge Bridge.btt with mixed auto forces just to see what it would do...DAYUM...that is an awesome map...would have been an absolute bloodbath with modern weapons....Those CMFI maps are going to be a blast with modern forces.

Thanks for doing them.

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 6.14.42 PM.png

44 minutes ago, DougPhresh said:

I've converted all Huge and Large maps, but have no idea how to put them all up at once.

Well, when one of the gang rounded up and posted all the user made scenarios they used either a public drop box or google drive.  

PM me and I would be happy to help.