Tactical questions (unofficial)

dams-fr

Hi,

This topic is about tactics and questions they bring with them.

My first question is about tactical runnings in long and flat fields like ukrainian first campaign mission.

=> Observation is always a key for victory and be the first to see is most of the time to be the first to kill but on this ground, they can see us coming,

=> We've got 2 major AoA easily identifiable for enemy.

=> We face covers and concealments but we haven't much in return... Not so many obstacles ....

So, how do you tactically proceed to advance in such situation.

documentation, links and examples are of course welcome ;) .

Thank you for helping others players (and me for sure :D ) to  better understand the tactical mechanized (or not) infantry issues.

Make contact with the smallest possible element and keep the rest free to maneuver. After making contact, develop the situation in such a way that you can establish and maintain fire superiorty. The AI is an easy opponent in that regard as it will not maneuver itself to counter your efforts to establish fire superiority, basically you can nibble it to death. After making contact you can advance using bounding overwatch, repeating the the drill mentioned above. Regarding machanized forces,in general tanks operate most effeictvely in open terrain while infantry is better in terrain with obstructed LOS.

This terrain is ideal for tanks:

http://www.kriechhammer.at/motorrad/fahrtechnik/hechlingen2003/p1010003.jpg

This terrrain is better for infantry:

http://fstatic1.mtb-news.de/img/photos/1/_/large/4568924389_d154d97c84_b.jpg

Alternatively, you can always watch ChrisNDs AAR of the first mission of the ukrainian campaign. The link to the youtube videos must be somwhere here on the forums, but if you google it you will probably find it as well. IIRC ChrisND advanced on the right flank with his BTRs and in the center. with his tanks.

Edited by agusto

Thanks Agusto !

Your comment is great help ! Another question within: what about artillery ? If you don't move your troops, they are vulnerable to "free"  artillery shots ...When " tactic rules" decides it's better to move ?

I saw ChrisND nice AAR video but I don't to be too guided by knowing enemy positions or other helps. I wanna evolve tactically. Pleasure is always here, but evolve is my reward ;) .