The TOW-2 Ball-n-chain // abandoning heavy weapons?

Anyone aware of how to release my poor pixeltruppen of their useless crew-served weapons when they are out of ammo.  Like the TOW?

Poor TOW team fires off it's missiles - only to have APS equipped tanks punish them - and when it's ammo over and time to run away they seem to have to hold position for 6 minutes (6 seconds would be bad enough) to pack-up their big kit before they can run (slowly).

I'd like them alive, if only for eyes elsewhere and a few small-arms.

Must be missing a command?

You can abandon ATGs in earlier versions. If TOWs are treated like HMGs though, you're SOL. Have a look in the "Special" tab. If the "Bail Out" option isn't greyed out, you'll be able to leave the tube behind. If it's anything like the other versions, you will not be able to return the crew to the weapon later, it being assumed that they have permanently and catastrophically disabled their weapon to prevent it falling into enemy hands in a repairable state.

i don't think abandoning equipment is a sound military idea.

just my two cents though 

:huh:

When your TOW ATGM is out of ammo and you are being overrun by overwhelming force you can either:

(1) leave your TOW ATGM behind, or

(2) leave your dead bodies and your TOW ATGM behind.

And Womble, I was looking for a "bail out" command but didn't see any.  Will test it again.

And Womble, I was looking for a "bail out" command but didn't see any.  Will test it again.

It may not be there; I don't have BS, so can't check. If the TOW is "more like" a Vickers HMG than a 6lber, it won't have such and your men either have to tote the thing or stay put. Possibly something that could be tweaked in a patch, given the low number of rounds that can be carried for such a system, and so the likelihood of "needing" to abandon it.

I also don't have CM:BS. However, in CM:RT ATGs can be moved short distances without packing up. Heavy tripod mounted weapons also might be capable of doing that.

Try a FAST move about an action square away.

The core of the problem is a game design one. To the extent that picking up a weapon that is already been deployed is not modeled. So to move a crew served weapon the entire weapon must be packed up and then moved, while in reality the entire weapon would be carried to a safe location before being packed up.

Edited by Pelican Pal

I recall some years back reading of a soldier being billed for his lost body armor after medics had cut him out of it while he was unconscious. Imagine if he had left his TOW launch behind!

I think that was before T-90AMs could fire airburst 125mm shells.  I'd hope the supply SGT would be more understanding now?

CM:RT ATGs can be moved short distances without packing up. Heavy tripod mounted weapons also might be capable of doing that.

Try a FAST move about an action square away.

So to move a crew served weapon the entire weapon must be packed up and then moved, while in reality the entire weapon would be carried to a safe location before being packed up.

Moving HMGs short distances without packing up and redeploying is in CMRT if I recall correctly. I never tested it in CMBS but it makes sense that it would work there too. Fire it up and see, oh wait. :D I'll fire it up and see - when I have a spare moment - no idea when that will be...

Why does the TOW have such a long setup time, is there some sort of warm-up or calibration process? Lot of the setup and pack up times are extremely long in BS, it's like the crews don't know what they are doing or aren't doing their best.

Also, leaving equipment behind  :huh:? 125mm airburst is much faster and less painfull way to go.

The max range of TOW is out to more than 5000m. Best case circumstance they'd be firing off their missiles down the length of a river valley, then they'd have a smoke, pack up and leave. Deploying and fighting inside the defender's ability to respond gets more problematic. Fighting inside mg and small arms range sounds downright suicidal. Humvee TOW at least has (minimal) armor protection.