Interested on what difficulty people play on.

Spitzenhund

Did this change after CMBN ? In V2 or 3 ? Because when I tried Iron when CMBN was new ( v1.0 ), that's when I didn't like having to deselect to see what the neighbouring team had been told to do ?

I'm not sure when it changed, although it was definitely before V3. I never played Shock Force and I started out playing CMBN on Elite for the same reasons you did. But eventually someone pointed out to me that Iron doesn't work the way I thought it did, so I tried it again and never went back.

I am pretty sure it has always been that way at least from CMBN on.  The manual has always had Iron described incorrectly and is still wrong in the CMBS version.

- Friendly units need to be spotted just like enemy units. If you have a friendly unit not in line of sight or in contact with another friendly unit, then the only way to find this unit is by either re-establishing contact with another friendly unit or by clicking through the chain of command in the game interface, jumping from unit to unit.

That has as far as I know never been true.

Iron is the only difficulty level that gives me a clean representation of what my units are aware of around them both on their own side and the enemy,  I am not just referring to C2 here but also where they think friendly units are they can not see etc.

That has as far as I know never been true.

It's mostly true when playing in real time and TCP/IP WEGO. Believe me I have played TCP/IP WEGO (which is actually real time with enforced pauses) in Iron mode and it is very hard to maintain situational awareness with a large force. I prefer Elite for real time.

But it is very misleading for how it works in regular WEGO.

Edited by Vanir Ausf B

I don't mind iron, but usually do elite. Play WEGO and lots of h2h.

Real time is ok from time to time, but there is alot to keep track of and in real life I don;t think 1 person (you) would be monitoring and making decisions for the entrie force. If there was real-time replays I might play RT more.

It's mostly true when playing in real time and TCP/IP WEGO. Believe me I have played TCP/IP WEGO (which is actually real time with enforced pauses) in Iron mode and it is very hard to maintain situational awareness with a large force. I prefer Elite for real time.

But it is very misleading for how it works in regular WEGO.

Not sure how you mean.  In We Go deselecting any unit allows you to see all your units same as in RT.  What I find the hardest about RT is you just can't see everything that is happening.  I might consider it for a small scenario, but anything larger I feel like I am missing half the game (which is probably an understatement.)  Which I guess is your point.  However I don't see that improving for me with Elite.

Not sure how you mean.  In We Go deselecting any unit allows you to see all your units same as in RT.  What I find the hardest about RT is you just can't see everything that is happening.  I might consider it for a small scenario, but anything larger I feel like I am missing half the game (which is probably an understatement.)  Which I guess is your point.  However I don't see that improving for me with Elite.

What I mean is that in WEGO it's only during the playback phase that you have to have no units selected to see everyone. In RT and TCP/IP WEGO it's that way all the time.