Interested on what difficulty people play on.

Spitzenhund

Elite and Iron you need to go get your stuff

I find this interesting. Sometimes I find it disturbing, that physically supply & support is missing from most of the simulations. It kind of "floats" on the background without any units "visible" in the game. Not even in battallion or brigade level games, I haven't seen any supply formations in the games, no matter supply units are quite large in that unit level.

Having suplly & support units in the game would be interesting and also give some tactical flexibility. For example, in Finnish company sized infantry unit supply & support (not firesupport) platoon is about 15 men strong. Force not to be overlooked in critical situations like in counterattacks in company firebase after enemy breakthrough. Company clerks, medics, drivers, cooks and mechanics. Give them proper infantry training and arm them with hand grenades LAWs, few LMGs, AT-mines and not to forget axes and machetes (Finnish "vesuri") from company stocks and you have a half-platoon strong counter attack force to fill the gap in the line.

Or fresh cannon fodder to get chewed up like rifle platoons before them.

For example, in the critical moment, as a commander you could give command, and in few minutes, few squads of ad-hoc infantry squads consisting supply & support personnel equipped with hodge-podge weapons would pop-up in some corner of the map. Maybe with standard issue military truck or armored prime movers if you are lucky. :D

Real-Time on iron, I occasionally use the pause button for semi-complex maneuvers, but unless its like something like moving every individual unit in a battalion, the pause button isn't on very long...

Been wondering this also.. I always play on the hardest setting yet usually have no major problems beating the AI...  Was this way in Shock Force as well...

Same here...

Edited by Abattoir666

in terms of levels, I am sure everyone realizes that it does not affect the overall difficulty level of the scenario or of the enemy troops, only more marginal aspects like spotting or artillery response time. The manual has all the details on the differences.

I prefer WEGO since I like to rewind and see individual unit actions and IRON since I find it makes it easier to see the C2 situation of my troops. That said, I am playing a PBEM game at WARRIOR and the differences are really minor.

Interface-wise, Iron mode only shows friendly units that are visible to the selected unit, and IIRC units that are in direct contact with it via C2. But it if you are playing WEGO it only does this during the replay phase. During the orders phase its the same as Elite.

As for realism, in Iron mode for C2 purposes units have to spot friendly units via passing LOS checks the same as they do enemy units. On Elite and lower, friendly units in LOS of each other automatically pass their spot checks to spot each other. Also, Iron strictly requires LOS between friendly units to maintain C2 by sight, whereas in Elite and lower C2 via sight is allowed in some situations where friendly units don't have LOS to each other but are near to having it.

Edited by Vanir Ausf B

The manual has all the details on the differences.

Unless it's been updated for Black Sea the manual is actually badly out of date regarding how Iron mode works. Iron mode used to work differently when CMSF was released but was changed at some point, and the manual hasn't quite kept up.

Edited by Vanir Ausf B

We-Go at Iron difficulty.

People worry that the requirement of "friendly spotting" will make Iron a hassle, but in practice it is really no issue at all--it took me about six turns to get used to it, and now I can't imagine going back.  *You* immediately see the location of all of your units when you have none of them selected, but each individual unit still has to deal with limited situational awareness and the morale issues that come with it.  Isolated units no longer have Superman confidence, which leads to more realistic results.

In WEGO the information you get in Iron is presented in exactly the same way as in Elite during the orders phase.

Did this change after CMBN ? In V2 or 3 ? Because when I tried Iron when CMBN was new ( v1.0 ), that's when I didn't like having to deselect to see what the neighbouring team had been told to do ?

I have played all modes of "difficulty" except basic, but I don't find much difference in difficulty between the different modes in WEGO usually playing it in either Veteran, or Iron. I seem to play the same whatever mode, but find the different modes offer more or less convenience with the UI showing nothing I can't already find out by moving the camera. For real time play they make a BIG difference, and definitely recommend, and prefer playing in Veteran mode.