T72 Radios???

Icecold

I am playing the first part of the Russian campaign. I notice that the T72s don't have radios.

Yet....

The tank command controllability, consisting in the tank's suitability for teamwork between the crew members and actions as a part of a subunit, is attained through the use of observation and reconnaissance devices, the R-174 interphone, R-173 radio set, R-173P radio receiver which make it possible to maintain communication within a range of at least 20 km both when stationary or when moving over moderate terrain.

This isn't 1941. lol

they have an interlinked netcentric system known as "Constellation", similar to "Blue Force tracker" 1, much better than radio.

It is not known if the Constellation system will be up and running by 2017, but we assume yes in game.

that is the icon that looks like a monitor. Only U.S. forces had it in CMSF, but many Russian units also have it in CMBS.

Edited by Sgt Joch

It is already operational.

In theory, yes.

but we have no info how well it works or how widespread it is. Many doubt the Russians will have it up and running on a widespread basis anytime soon.

In game however, we are giving the Russians the benefit of the doubt. ;)

Edited by Sgt Joch

^^^

The very at-start comms sometimes need a few seconds to link up and get working.

(The flip side would be worse. Imagine your at-start forces show in-command/in comms, and then, the second you hit the "Go" button, all your forces were fragmented and out of comms. That would be bad...)

Icecold,

Welcome aboard!

Good question, and I find the resulting discussion helpful. Found a small, badly translated article on the Constellation system. It appears from this the actual hardware which concerns us is called Tral-D.  I like your avatar. Where did you find it? Looks like a great piece of pinup art--to the extent I can see details at all.

LukeFF,

Since you indicated Constellation is affected by jamming, would you please say, if you know, whether the system uses frequency hopping and/or spread spectrum?  Was under the impression both had significant jam resistance. Understood, in fact, that at least during the Cold War, spread spectrum was unjammable. Even a strong jammer having to cover such a range of frequencies wound up being diluted, if you will, to ineffectiveness.

Regards,

John Kettler