Kieme's modding corner

The mods change the appearance of all vehicles, terrain etc. in game, in missions, campaigns etc.. Only the mods labelled "add-on" simply add something new, and in that case it will be available to be seen in the editor (such as the case of additional buildings appearances or new flavor objects) or if someone makes a new map with those. Some "add-ons" instead add something to an existing mod, such as the names mod for the M1 Abrams: you download the M1 Abrams mod, then, if you like, you can download the names add on that will simply add names to the gun tubes of the Abrams.

Mods must be placed (unpacked from rar compression) inside Z folder, from the manual:

go inside your My Documents/../User Data/Mods folder and create a new folder called "Z".

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

Since we already have a flag mod in the LHS soldier face pic, is there any other useful info that could be placed in the pic with the tank?

Wondering that too. There's some space empty on that corner, not sure how it would be used, could also be left empty.

What about a modern NATO tactical symbol representing the unit type?

28vbz7n.jpg

zugxf6.jpg

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

What I usually miss in CM2 and CMBS especially is more detailed info regarding the weapons systems capabilities

Hopefully we will eventually get the graphical icon mods in CMBS that we have in the other CM2 series to show ammo type and effective ranges.

Also, it must be rare that we need to be reminded what nationality we are playing or what sort of unit we have selected.  So, that sort of info is less important to duplicate.

However, what other really useful (while playing the game) info would be good to put in that upper rhs space that Kieme mentioned?  For just one example: Maybe something to do with passengers, or passenger capability - like how many troops can be carried on the selected tank?

Or, perhaps if the vehicle has a weapons system mounted that can be dismounted.  (Note: I am NOT talking about weapons that can be AQUIRED.)  For example: CMSF has some vehicular-mounted weapons that could be dismounted.  But, it was very hard to figure what was dismountable without experimentation.  Not sure how many (if any) CMBS has.

Edited by Erwin

"...part of Mastering CM games consists also in personal research, manual reading, experience..."

I think CM is a game and who has time for research these days?  That is work and what one gets paid to do (well some of us).  Personally, I want a recreation experience and a simple interface that gives me as much info as possible so that I rarely need to refer to the manual. 

If you want a game that requires constant consulting of the manual and research, try Grigsby's "War in The Pacific AE".  I am currently playing that, and it is a real headache, albeit quite fun as a rare superb strategic level game when I burn out of tactical level games like CM.

I wouldn't say that CM games require a constant manual checking, but some from time to time in my opinion is what makes a game more interesting than another. Besides, there is so much information that is required to knowledge the game that filling the actual interface would not be sufficient anyway (try to explain what's what with the T-90AM armor arrangement, where there's ERA and bar armor toghether, for example).

Work in progress on the silhouettes, while in-game vehicles will have a picture taken directly from the game, the support units will have silhouettes based on real photographs, example of russian air supports:

1zwni1f.jpg

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

The graphics are truly beautiful.

My point is that we don't need extra eye-candy for its own sake.  If you want to add anything extra, please make it some useful info that might help speed up play.  I would say that speed of play is a major issue due to the complexity of the CM2 game system (compared to CM1) and the micromanaging that is necessary in CM2 in order to "play effectively".

I used to ask for larger scenarios akin to CM1.  However, I have come to realize that huge scenarios that are eminently playable in CM1 are not practical in CM2.

I have noticed that when I use the vehicle skin mods (specifically the Russians) that it seems to drastically slow down my loading times. On larger scenarios I get to 83% and then get stuck for a while, sometimes longer than 5 minutes before the game is finally able to load everything. Occasionally it will get stuck on 83% and it will take so long that I end up alt+tabbing and closing BS with the task manager (which says BS is not responding) and attempt to load the scenario again. This usually works, but I still get stuck on 83% for a while. I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this? It could very well be an issue on my end, although I'm not sure what that could be. Any insight would be appreciated. Hopefully there is a simple explanation as to why this is happening. If there is not but someone knows what is going on, or is willing to do some trouble shooting, feel free to shoot me a PM so we do not derail the thread or clutter it. Anyways just wanted to say that I really love the mods and appreciate all of the hard work that goes into making them!

Thanks.

The vehicle mods are all of the very same size of the original ones (but for a few of some US army vehicles roadwheels iirc). Anyway, this means that they have no impact on the game performance. Same goes with all the other standard mods.

The mods labelled "HD" are two times (in terrain and highway mods some are 4x) the size of original textures, and those do have an impact on performance, depending on your setup you might notice a few frames drop, a huge frame drop and/or longer loading times.

Finally, also the buildings add-ons, which add 8 more building types could cause a slow down if all 16 building types are used in a given scenario (but that's not the case of all the vanilla contents).

If I am not mistaken, when loading any map/scenario etc. the last part of the % is dedicated to loading the units (troops/vehicles etc.). Therefore if you wait longer at 97-100% you are waiting longer for the load of units, what comes before that is probably map/terrain and game engine.

Edited by Kieme(ITA)