Kieme's modding corner

Kieme:

Good to see you back.  Here’s hoping real life has calmed down enough to allow you to get back to what brings you (and judging by the size of this thread, many of us) joy.

Quick question, will you also be modding the artillery observation variant of the BTR? It looks like it was left out of your original set for these vehicles.

Thanks again for all you have done to help take Black Sea to new visual heights - I can't wait to see what you have in store for us next!

You are welcome.
Sure that vehicle is a leftover, couldn't use the same templates adopted for the BTRs so I had to skip it. I would surely like to mod that too (plain green only), but as for several Other rare vehicles I'd push them down the list.

I also started working on a 2x2km map that I'd like to use for some ideas, and experimenting with the editor to make a modern looking environment (but made up, not based on an actual location).

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

Kieme CMBS Optional Highway (HD)

What is this mod:

this mod is intended to give more options to the scenario designer sacrificing the ability to make slanted highways.

So, the mod changes all the Tiles used by "highway" editor road option and converts them to the following assets: NS/EW asphalt highway (new asphalt), NS/EW asphalt highway (worn out asphalt), parking lot, airport concrete slabs.

This mod is in HD, that means it has higher resolution textures than the original ones. However, it should not add a strong impact to game performance because the original textures were of a very low resolution.

This mod comes in 2 versions:

-version: total conversion (will change the appearance of highway Tiles in all existing maps/scenarios/quick battles/campaigns)

-version: TAG (will change the appearance of highway Tiles in the pre-designed scenarios with this precise tag that will be released in the future)

This mod has 1 add on:

-editor buttons (will change the editor buttons for highway to make it easier to deploy the new assets - for scenario makers)

Note for scenario designers: the total conversion version should be installed if you want to make it easier to see what is being used within the 2d map editor. Then, you can uninstall the total conversion and keep using the TAG version from there on.

If you are unsure what to download just download the TAG version, so that it won't change anything in your existing game, but will give you the chance to see correctly new user created maps which will use this mod. The files should go to your mods folder as usual.

Downloads:

-TAG version mod: https://app.box.com/s/jfwkivms84094nno5lyb20eyt4fh8x7t

-total conversion mod: https://app.box.com/s/um40u18msvxpjpflwjzmdh3f73rt3i0s

-editor buttons add on: https://app.box.com/s/p12rlix2lpbui9n8r1zmq0rza93qa2ag

Editor's preview:

10mq4w0.jpg

In game previews of the above assets:

20qhlbl.jpg

2iharnm.jpg

zsmjh1.jpg

22fhuc.jpg

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

Great job. You are realizing "Cities: Skylines" in the CM-BS.

Sometimes I wonder, is there any way to use the geometries from Cities: Skylines or Simcity to CM:BS or Wargame:RD. (Just kidding, but that could be heavy but perfect urban warfare map :)

exsonic the concept you expressed is very interesting.

One side of modern warfare would indeed hit, sooner or later, the big blocks that make most of european and east european cities' suburbs and slums. Not a case that developers included modular buildings up to 14 levels...

Kiev:

all_kiev_810.jpg

416958.jpg

Plenty of ideas for a urban map. I'd go with a 1kmx1km due to the higher density.

And yes, from a tactical point of view, a true hell.

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

A map with all those high-rise apartment blocks would be awesome, a snipers paradise. Perhaps the objective could be to secure a highway that is surrounded by tall buildings like in that last picture you posted, that would be one hell of a tough scenario, and one hell of a fun scenario.

Kieme CMBS Tunguska

Special thanks to BTR for providing the ideal green base textures.

Comes in green and 3-tone camo versions, please make sure you choose only one to use.

Green version download: https://app.box.com/s/y40xg7xlincl3jjsh0qi2w2ma7u7cums

Green version preview:

ezfij5.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3-tone camo download: https://app.box.com/s/19z7fuib25jo1muct7yzx5fgznl8fx1d

3-tone camo preview:

35a0g7m.jpg

Kieme, I have noticed that you have made some mods of editor buttons. I have an idea for building buttons in the editor, so that they show how many levels they have, before putting them on the map. I'll try this for all CM*2 games. However, I have never modded anything. How do I know which brz-file to RezExplode? Is there a guide to the process of modding in the forum (I admit, have not checked yet...)?

You will find editor buttons in this file: black sea v100a.brz under "editor".

There are not many guides, because, in the end, it's like making a guide for a specific paint program. My suggestion is to check all the characteristics of the file you want to mod (extension, resolution, 24 or 32 bits etc.) and make sure you match the originals.

There's this old thread: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/81879-painting-skins-video-tutorial/

As a reference I used this free program: RealWorldPaint

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

You will find editor buttons in this file: black sea v100a.brz under "editor".

There are not many guides, because, in the end, it's like making a guide for a specific paint program. My suggestion is to check all the characteristics of the file you want to mod (extension, resolution, 24 or 32 bits etc.) and make sure you match the originals.

There's this old thread: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/81879-painting-skins-video-tutorial/

As a reference I used this free program: RealWorldPaint

Thanks. Is it the corresponding file in the other games as well that contain the editor buttons?

My question was not regarding how to mod the files, I'll probably go with Photoshop - it was the file handling of RezExplode and RezPack as the manual didn't make me understand the process fully. But I'll give it a go nontheless.

Should be the same yes.

You can copy and paste the big .brz file inside "input" or rezexplode, then hit rezexplode exe file, wait some time, and in "exploded" folder you'll find the plain files. In case: you don't need to re-pack the modded ones in .brz, you can leave them plain.

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

From what I can tell, it isn't possible to do the mod I intended to do because the editor uses the same button in some occasions for a residential buildning with two levels, but a commercial buildning with only one. Shame. When making maps, the editor buttons for buildings are not very informative unfortunately.