Kieme's modding corner

Next in line: a flavor objects add-on. Three new civilian vehicles can be added to the game, ported directly from combat mission shock force and adapted for the local scenario.

I will add a few weathering effects and release these three as a package:

ivl2bt.jpg

2rdditl.jpg

jr8ux4.jpg

For reasons out of my comprehension the windshields/Windows don't work. Besides that these models are not optimized for CMBS (some problems concerning shadows) and they are not "solid", so they won't give cover, even though the infantry appears to be lining near them realistically.

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

Kieme CMBS additional flavor objects (civilian vehicles)

This mod adds 3 new flavor objects to the game, in form of three civilian vehicles. The models and textures were ported from combat mission shock force game with some adjustments and mild weathering.

These flavor objects are not present in any game map created since now, but they will be available for map makers from now on if they decide to use them.

You will find these in game's editor, under "vehicle" in the flavor objects 3 Group.

Note: these flavor objects do not provide cover, don't block shots or vehicles movement and are sometimes glitchy with their shadows.

Download: https://app.box.com/s/z745hm21a86oo924wkzelqib9dsdticc

Preview:

ve8268.jpg

Thanks Macisle.

I hope these will be useful, I already started populating maps with some vehicles, and at least now the parking lots feel a bit better.

Officially, it's not possible to make flavor objects. Unofficially yes, it is. First of all you need to know your ways with a 3d editor program, then, I would point you to this thread: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/118928-combat-mission-modding-tools/

Wow this is all some really impressive stuff. I especially like all of the green re skins you did for the Russian vehicles. I'm not a huge fan of the odd coloration that the Russian vehicles have in game, and this appears to be a remedy to that problem. Thanks for all of your hard work and keep it up!

Kieme CMBS additional flavor objects  2 (military vehicles)

This mod adds 2 new flavor objects to the game, in form of two military vehicles (a BMP-1 and a T-54b, stripped of most external accessories), textured as long-time abandoned hardware. The models and textures were ported from combat mission shock force game with some adjustments and heavy weathering.

These flavor objects are not present in any game map created since now, but they will be available for map makers from now on if they decide to use them.

You will find these in game's editor, under "vehicle" in the flavor objects 3 Group.

Note: these flavor objects do not provide cover, don't block shots or vehicles movement and are sometimes glitchy with their shadows.

Download: https://app.box.com/s/puyx6ropwm502j9zpjmm5v1r0y31vltc

Preview:

mimn2b.jpg

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

Officially, it's not possible to make flavor objects. Unofficially yes, it is. First of all you need to know your ways with a 3d editor program, then, I would point you to this thread: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/118928-combat-mission-modding-tools/

Thank you.

If I understand this correctly, it would be possible to include for example blown off turrets or much bigger objects as flavor objects, too?

Could Kohlenklau place flavor object ships on the "isles" at the Malta coast?

Edited by Parker Schnabel

It's really an unknown land that one. CM games have never been moddable in terms of 3d objects (they were not inteded for that kind of modding and therefore they don't support that), and the games are not yet 3d-modded today.

The one person working on this is sbobovyc, of the pointed thread, and he knows how to use computer software very well.

When it comes to 3d objects who knows if there are dimension constraints, polygon bugs or whatever. Anything could be. One thing is for sure, if you want to add the statue of liberty you might even get it right, but don't expect it to walk (i.e. programming and interaction with the game is really out of any mod scope).

My posted mods are just a ports from another CM game, which all took was some renaming of files. Theoretically, all CM2x games are compatible (from CMSF to CMRT), so you can inter-change items, there are differences between the 3d engines, but the basic rendering system is the same. There might be glitches and little problems though.

WYSIWYG breaks down severely with larger flavor objects, which is why BF has generally imposed an upper limit on their size and solidity.  Swapping them out with radically different objects may be aesthetically pleasing, but it could introduce gameplay problems, especially for players who do not understand the limits of flavor objects.

Kieme CMBS additional flavor objects 3 (heavy vehicles)

This mod adds 1 new flavor object to the game, in form of an empty ZIL truck, it should work both as civilian and military hardware. The model and textures were ported from combat mission shock force game with some adjustments.

Download: https://app.box.com/s/5iuxnrjqt05olpodsy0bsu0kcqpqr6vz

Preview:

2nk3vyb.jpg

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

Kieme CMBS additional flavor objects 4 (bunker)

This mod adds 1 new flavor object to the game, in form of a bunker. The model and textures were ported from combat mission shock force game with some adjustments.

You will find this one in game's editor, under "shelter" in the flavor objects 3 Group.

Note: the bunker is not usable by infantry, it's just a cosmetic addition.

Download: https://app.box.com/s/z2aeqpm7ecsznnpgjn5sdnvmgtzql9ax

Preview:

6qw8w8.jpg

I got another add on in the works, shuould provide some interesting addition for an abandoned military base, or just one of the several vehicle parks in eastern europe, here's a preview:

ogl5ok.jpg

Wow! These are the finest modded vehicles ever seen in a CM-game!! :-)

Next mods will be dedicated to Russian BMP-2 and similar vehicles. I have the intention to make green only version of these.

I am experimenting with the BMP-2M by adding the "M rated" equipment in a different color to differentiate it and emphasize the retro-fitting (or modernization) concept, what's your opinion on this?

ofvpi.jpg

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

Kieme CMBS additional flavor objects 3 (heavy vehicles)

This mod adds 1 new flavor object to the game, in form of an empty ZIL truck, it should work both as civilian and military hardware. The model and textures were ported from combat mission shock force game with some adjustments.

Download: https://app.box.com/s/5iuxnrjqt05olpodsy0bsu0kcqpqr6vz

Preview:

2nk3vyb.jpg

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

now i just need a petrol tanker, a tractor and a train - youre my hero!!

Next mods will be dedicated to Russian BMP-2 and similar vehicles. I have the intention to make green only version of these.

I am experimenting with the BMP-2M by adding the "M rated" equipment in a different color to differentiate it and emphasize the retro-fitting (or modernization) concept, what's your opinion on this?

Overall it looks great but would the additional components really be a different colour.  If they would be then sure but my gut says why would the look any different the whole thing could easily have a fresh coat of paint after the upgrade was done.  Unless some one chimes in and says - yeah all the upgraded stuff comes looking like that then I would not use two different colours.