Unofficial Screenshots & Videos Thread

agusto

CMBS really needs to render at least the attack helicopters. It'd be pretty damn cool.  I had to add them in for the stream of tracers coming out of nowhere haha :D

D8AE8Ovh.jpg

Russian forces engage a dug-in Ukrainian force as they attempt to force a river crossing over the Dnieper river.  (Click for full 3,000x1,000-ish pixels!)

FgGxeAA.png

A Russian scout team observes the fire mission preparing the opposite bank.  Lt. Popov identifies a few armored vehicles and relays the information to the supporting tanks.

1 hour ago, HerrTom said:

CMBS really needs to render at least the attack helicopters. It'd be pretty damn cool.  I had to add them in for the stream of tracers coming out of nowhere haha :D

D8AE8Ovh.jpg

Russian forces engage a dug-in Ukrainian force as they attempt to force a river crossing over the Dnieper river.  (Click for full 3,000x1,000-ish pixels!)

FgGxeAA.png

A Russian scout team observes the fire mission preparing the opposite bank.  Lt. Popov identifies a few armored vehicles and relays the information to the supporting tanks.

+1, I really wish to see choppers and fast movers flying over my units with flare. That would be awesome. Did you gave some after effect to the second picture? Looks cool.

13 minutes ago, exsonic01 said:

+1, I really wish to see choppers and fast movers flying over my units with flare. That would be awesome. Did you gave some after effect to the second picture? Looks cool.

No after effect - just as it looks in-game.  I'm running a postprocessing injector called Reshade that allows me to run depth of field, some color grading, and ambient occlusion (the last one really adds depth to the scene!).

First one I added the helicopters and cleaned up the tracers.

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I find that the absence of a full visual representation of gunships makes them even more menacing, the best compromise IMHO would be a shadow on the ground, per CMx1.

Agree with that. While it would be nice to see the actual aircraft if sufficiently zoomed out I'll settle for a shadow on the ground at least until Combat Mission merges with Battlefield...

Maybe for AH-64s, Mi-28s and Ka-50s, but the Mi-24s zoom over the battlefield, strafing it with rockets.  They're pretty damn visible. B)

A look at the prepatory barrage and some fun pathfinding from poorly placed orders and bocages blocking movement!  The barrage ended up knocking out a T-64, three BMP-2s and 50 men.  Not bad!

R3qVwPT.png

Crossing the river.  Not as organized as I'd like, and I think the single company crossing the river wasn't enough to really wrest control from the well-entrenched Ukrainians.  Might need some more balancing - the Ukrainians have a much better time defending here than in Road to Odessa!

• 3 weeks later...

A question to you guys using Reshade, specifically HerrTom:

Are you getting weird issues with setting paths/targets, and issues with the terrain clipping when using Reshade?

I wanted to use just a simple sharpening filter, nothing fancy, just to counter the blur caused by running at a different res than native, and I got these issues. Also got the same in CMFB.

I've only seen two notable graphical errors using reshade.

Transparent objects (really anything that isn't in the depth buffer) isn't affected by any depth based shaders (like SSAO). This means largely tree leaves (but not the 2d distant trees), smoke and windows.

Any unrendered areas, behind loading bars or the edges of the main menu go crazy with screen based shaders.

Terrain clipping wise, nope. Haven't seen anything like that. I don't generally give orders and such with it on though, it's mostly for screenshots.

Thanks for the reply; the trouble is I get the issues whether or not the effects are enabled, just with Reshade installed to the game is enough to get weird issues.

The most annoying ones are area fire and artillery targets are often offset by a lot, and when moving a waypoint they tend to "cycle", which happens in vanilla too, but not as intense.

Some examples:

Clipping of terrain, happens almost anywhere on the map. Kind of makes it unplayable.

JKePGlF.png

With Reshade + AdaptiveSharpen:

q18W2se.png

I really like the added sharpening of the textures. However it brings along several issues, like the dark texture on the vehicles, they are supposed to be tan. Also note some weirdness at the rear of the front vehicle.

How original looks. Note that somehow the transparency of the house is gone in the screenshot, just random weirdness I guess.

RN76eMR.png

It's too bad - it would be really nice to use Reshade for some minor effects in this game. I am no fan of overblown contrast or massive saturation, so a lot of filters I wouldn't use anyway, maybe add a little splash of extra color and sharpening is all.

On 5/27/2017 at 5:36 AM, Shadrach said:

Thanks for the reply; the trouble is I get the issues whether or not the effects are enabled, just with Reshade installed to the game is enough to get weird issues.

The most annoying ones are area fire and artillery targets are often offset by a lot, and when moving a waypoint they tend to "cycle", which happens in vanilla too, but not as intense.

I had the same issues with terrain clipping. I ended up backtracking to an older version of reshade that didn't have that problem. I don't remember what version I ended up using, but if it helps this is my reshade setup: https://www.dropbox.com/s/njgaog56thm9h1p/CMBS reshade.7z?dl=0 (drop into your root CMBS directory)

I never messed around with texture sharpening so I don't know if there is an issue.

A few impressions of a platoon attack:

• Including a long range graze shot by a sniper (lightly wounding a Russian),
  • a truck driving forward to pick up those wounded by an artillery strike (those wounded guys - yellow circle - slow down the squad a lot),
  • supporting fire by BMP-2s, a tank, automatic grenade launchers
  • a quite intense fire fight between 3 fire teams and a MG-position
  • an ATGM used as a last resort to fire at infantry (taken out by the tank soon afterwards, sorry for the hick-up in the video) 

Edited by Kaunitz

• 3 weeks later...

Reiter,

Don't get here often but just watched your Modern Casualties CMBS. Most impressive. The digital camo on the BT-4Es is very effective at hiding shape from even close range. My, do they put out the firepower! Didn't understand that gaggle of Oplot M so close going up the road the tanks were practically mating, but was unsurprised it didn't turn out well. Why did the UKR have no artillery support? Strange for an attack of that size. The Russians certainly did. Very cool when the APS intercepted a projectile. Video nicely depicted (urk) the confusion and lethality of modern warfare. Still don't know what zapped that Oplot M on the road rom behind (the shot that was replayed). Casualties were flat out horrifying, with very few of either side surviving unscathed. As Wellington famously observed "Next to a battle lost, the greatest tragedy is a battle won." Oh so true here. Great job!

Herr Tom,

Great image. Looks like the depiction of air power has improved dramatically. Almost missed the addition.

D8AE8Ovh.jpg

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

On 6/24/2017 at 7:23 PM, John Kettler said:

Herr Tom,

Great image. Looks like the depiction of air power has improved dramatically. Almost missed the addition.

If only!  The helicopters are post-processed, as it were.  I'm glad my photo trickery was good enough to fool you though!

@Sophist_13 that looks more like Call of Duty than CM - in a good way!  Wonderfully dynamic!

Also @Kaunitz beautiful editing, and I like the explosions! B)

Edited by HerrTom

Kaunitz,

There was much I liked in the video, as well as things which I didn't understand and something for which I never saw the outcome. Was very surprised to see a truck up front with the armor. Ukrainians have found the best use for a BMP-1 is as a field ambulance because it is so low and so vulnerable in combat . Don't the Russians use the MTLB-M the same way? Would swear I've seen one with small red crosses on its side. The toing and froing of the BMPs and T-90 in and out of firing position was cool. Liked the spotting sequence with the officer in his nice camouflage body armor and uniform. Also liked the AGS firing. The sound in the game was great. The explosions from all but heavy caliber fire baffled me, for most of the time I couldn't see them at all. Combat footage I've seen says very much otherwise, even for the tiny UK 55 mm mortar in Afghanistan. Did notice the asymmetrical bursts, though. Trees and foliage were well done. Not that I have much sense of the as shipped version for comparison. Was surprised to see so much arc from the T-90's shot. Maybe the ammo type used? Target? What happened to that ATGM fired? Pretty sure it had enough time to strike home before counterfire offed the crew. What was basic range for the engagement? Sniper's shot arc would appear to indicate a significant distance.

Regards,

John Kettler

John!

I haven't really thought about the things that happened in the video here so thoroughly. The truck was used as it would be less likely to be targeted by an ATGM (and it was out of effective small arms fire). I don't know what kind of explosions you're referring to? Perhaps you're rather refering to my bullet-zip-sounds/the supersonic crack of the bullets? To my surprise, the ATGM actually fired at the advancing russian infantry platoon. I didn't give an explicit cover arc to prevent it, but I thought the AI would not do this on its own. At some point it was simply spotted by the tank (from ca. 1.6km distance - might explain the arc?) and knocked out by the first shot. Ranges varied from ca 1.6km (wood to BMPs and tank) to ca. 150 meters (fire fight up close). These long lines of sight are pretty adequate for some of the Ukrainian countryside (flat, many fields are even larger than that). I tend to prefer longer ranges. More bullets flying around for longer times, fewer casualties (that is: if the defenders take proper defensive positions, safe from longer range fire by vehicles, while threatening anything that ventures too close with hidden ATGMs and RPGs).

Thanks for watching and the feedback! :)

Edited by Kaunitz