Any difference in Mac v PC versions?

Deskman

Hi,

I have a dual boot Mac / Windows computer and was wondering which version of CMBS (or any other CM game really) I would be best to buy:

Does the Mac or PC version tend to have better graphics, performance, or features? Or are they pretty much the same thing?

Your thoughts / experiences welcomed.

Regards,

Brian

Yes, the games are pretty much exactly the same whether PC or mac. One of the primary programmers works on a mac. The boss Steve uses a mac. Me? I use the PC side of a Bootcamped imac. The tech people are horrified that I do but it works like a charm, except for my limited partition size. If you've got the HD space for you PC partition with enough left over for respectable virtual memory then you could go that route. Ten people may show up to give you exactly the opposite opinion, though.  ;)

The textures and models are exactly the same between PC and Mac versions. Thus the graphics should generally be the same. The main difference between Mac and PC would come down to how well your CPU and graphics perform and the options to tweak such things (usually outside of CM's control) on each platform.

Since you would be considering running either the PC or Mac version on the same Mac, then there generally would be little difference in regards to performance. The preference would come down to your familiarity with each OS and its options. One problem with Mac versions tend to be Apple's habit of screwing up drivers for OpenGL on occasion. In situations like that you have to wait until Apple comes out with an update (or a new OS release) to have them fixed. This doesn't happen all of the time, but it has happened in the past. On the PC side you usually have to wait a while for some driver bugs to be fixed (several months to possibly a year) by the video chip developer or simply going back to an older version to get things running again. Newer video cards can be a bit more problematic on the PC side in this sort of situation since there can be a limited number of drivers that may support such a videocard/chip.

Deskman,

Welcome aboard!

What an intriguing first post. To me, dual boot Mac was a Mac which could run either OS 9 (absolutely necessary for all CMx1 series games) or OS X (an absolute must for CMx2/3/4...games). I guess BootCamp has improved dramatically from the early days, since I recall it was pretty much a desperation measure (slow) to play CM and other games for which there was no Mac version. CMSF was one such (took years to get a Mac version), and CMA (no, not the Country Music Awards, CM:Afghanistan) another.

Regards,

John Kettler

Hi,

I have a dual boot Mac / Windows computer and was wondering which version of CMBS (or any other CM game really) I would be best to buy:

Does the Mac or PC version tend to have better graphics, performance, or features? Or are they pretty much the same thing?

Your thoughts / experiences welcomed.

Regards,

Brian

Good advice above.

I would add consider what OS you need most in your equation.

Boot camp works but if you need to be in OS X and want to play CMBS you must stop, reboot to bootcamp... play some till you must return to OS X. Occasional CM play may not be an issue. If you really enjoy CM gaming (play every day for an hour or more) you may find the OS X version is easier to use w/o the down time for PC  and boot camp.

Have Fun :)

Hi All,

Thanks for some really well thought out, and reassuring replies.

I don't tend to get into modding, so it sounds like I won't be short-changed either way.

I've just got hold of a new iMac with 32Gb ram and 1Tb SSD. I've partitioned it 50/50 for Mac / Windows, so hopefully space won't be a problem - at least for a while :)

Regards,

Brian

Ooooh, that's a thought! PC side has Rez Explode. Does the mac side? (I don't actually know.) You can install other people's mods easily enough on the mac. Someone with a mac will have to show up to say if you have access to the contents of the .BRZ files.

My Hackintosh can play both OS with the switch of an SSD sled.

I purchased CMSF PC so using a Battlefront "Rez Explode" should work for the Mac side. I would have to check it.

As MikeyD notes... installing other people's mods is not difficult on the Mac.

I popped in the Windows SSD with CMSF and got distracted playing a 7+ yo CM game :)

The PC side has Rez Explode. Black Sea is going to be Game Engine 3.0

Might be better to ask someone with a newer CM 3.0 version if their Rez Explode works on newer BRZ files.

No Mac Rez Explode

there was an  BFC Beta awhile back

but nothing that is working at present

There was a Community made version

about 2 years ago

But it had features that BFC didn't authorize

and had the potential to Break the game 

so it was pulled

Edited by jeffsmith

Sorry, wrong. There is a rezexplode program for Mac and it has EXACTLY the same functionality as the BFC version.

There was some very unfortunate misunderstanding about a script that was using that program which had some unwanted effects. But the script would have worked with the BFC version, too.

Search for rezexplode here on the forum and you will find the link.