Russian speakers help me out here

Yeah, i want to know that too. I have heard that not only in CMRT but in several other WW2 related titles. I think "artilleriya slot brigada, prium" (forgive me my surely inadequate transliteration) means siomething like "Artillery brigade, come in" with "prium" meaning "come in". But that is only a wild guess, i have no idea what it really means :D.

This sort of reminds me that in CMBB the Soviet troops used a phrase that always tickled me. I don't know what it meant or even what the actual words were in Russian, but to my ear it sounded exactly like, "I'm a gecko!" I used to smile every time I heard that and I heard it a lot. So I guess you could say that BB made me happy even though it didn't run well on my machine.

:lol:

Michael

This sort of reminds me that in CMBB the Soviet troops used a phrase that always tickled me. I don't know what it meant or even what the actual words were in Russian, but to my ear it sounded exactly like, "I'm a gecko!" I used to smile every time I heard that and I heard it a lot. So I guess you could say that BB made me happy even though it didn't run well on my machine.

Michael

I tried so hard to figure out what it was with no luck, I just don't hear it :) but I have similar experiences with German language phrases in Combat Mission.

Michael

The first thing that comes to mind for me is "Volle dekung!" ( i hope I spelled that right). Which is German for "full cover!"...I think the equivalent would be "Hit the dirt!" or "get to cover!"(?)

The first thing that comes to mind for me is "Volle dekung!" ( i hope I spelled that right). Which is German for "full cover!"...I think the equivalent would be "Hit the dirt!" or "get to cover!"(?)

*sigh* That's nice. Irrelevant but nice. But tell me, why bring up German when not only is this thread about Russian words, but I clearly stated that I was talking about a Russian phrase?

:rolleyes:

Michael

*sigh* That's nice. Irrelevant but nice. But tell me, why bring up German when not only is this thread about Russian words, but I clearly stated that I was talking about a Russian phrase?

Michael

Because he said " I don't know what it meant or even what the actual words were in Russian..."

Here's your crow.

Because he said " I don't know what it meant or even what the actual words were in Russian..."

Here's your crow.

You can keep the crow, you'll need it when you get hungry. And why is it not clear to you that the whole time I am talking about Russian words which I don't know because I don't speak Russian? You made an illogical leap from talking about Russian to talking about German. Can we get back to Russian now? I'd still be interested to know what Russian phrase sounds like "I'm a gecko".

Michael

You can keep the crow, you'll need it when you get hungry. And why is it not clear to you that the whole time I am talking about Russian words which I don't know because I don't speak Russian? You made an illogical leap from talking about Russian to talking about German. Can we get back to Russian now? I'd still be interested to know what Russian phrase sounds like "I'm a gecko".

Michael

Can you give me context of when I game they say it? I can't think of any and went through the script and couldn't find one in my mind that sounds like that to my ear. I'd like to help you.

Michael

You can be sure I am going to look out for wanna-be geckos the next time i play CMRT. :D.

But seriously, do you remeber in which context the "i am a gecko" sound appeared? Most sounds in CM appear in a specific context, you know, the artillery call when you call artillery, the "UAAAARGH I am hit!" when some guy is hit, so the "I am a gecko sound" probably appears in a sepcific situation too.

Michael

1) I am genuinely curious about the proper pronunciation and translation you brought up.

2) I am sure you have played CMBB as much as I have and I have other phrases that stuck in my head. And seeing how you said "...or even what the actual words were in Russian.", Long story short, In my haste I mistook that to mean there is a possible German alternative. And the only thing that sprung to mind (and sounds a lot alike if you say it out loud) is "Volle Deckung!" At least to me, it did at the time...again, in my haste.

3) I cannot think of any other way your quote above can be taken other than condescension. And I'm sorry you feel you have to do that to make yourself feel superior. But a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do to get through this life, right?

Any relation to Dr Sheldon Cooper?

Never mind. Don't answer that.

You can be sure I am going to look out for wanna-be geckos the next time i play CMRT.

I've never heard it in RT thus far, so you might be frustrated if you look for it there.

But seriously, do you remeber in which context the "i am a gecko" sound appeared? Most sounds in CM appear in a specific context, you know, the artillery call when you call artillery, the "UAAAARGH I am hit!" when some guy is hit, so the "I am a gecko sound" probably appears in a sepcific situation too.

I heard it virtually all the time in BB, starting with the first demo. I think it was a crew of an ATG that first time, but riflemen used it a lot too. It must have been a common phrase, like "Look sharp now!" or something similar.

Michael

I've never heard it in RT thus far, so you might be frustrated if you look for it there.

I heard it virtually all the time in BB, starting with the first demo. I think it was a crew of an ATG that first time, but riflemen used it a lot too. It must have been a common phrase, like "Look sharp now!" or something similar.

Michael

Огонь по врагу. Possibly this, put it in google translate and his the "say" button and see if it's similar.

It means "fire at the enemy"

I'm very curious about this gecko business, although I don't have CMBB installed on my computer (moved on finally...) so can't check it myself.  If any of you have too much time on your hands, upload a recording and we can figure this out!

The assumption is that "I'm a gecko" is also a distinct, self-contained phrase in Russian rather than an English-sounding part of a longer Russian phrase. My Russian is terrible now and I can't find my dictionary, but my guess is that words starting with a sound like 'I' of 'I'm' (аи) are quite rare. It is more likely to be inside or at the end of a Russian word (the Russian characters аи are used at the end of some verbs in one form of the imperative, which could be used when issuing orders).

I'm very curious about this gecko business, although I don't have CMBB installed on my computer (moved on finally...) so can't check it myself.  If any of you have too much time on your hands, upload a recording and we can figure this out!

Is there demo of CMBB? Maybe i am going to do that, make a recording of the russian gecko and upload it to youtube :D.

The assumption is that "I'm a gecko" is also a distinct, self-contained phrase in Russian rather than an English-sounding part of a longer Russian phrase. My Russian is terrible now and I can't find my dictionary, but my guess is that words starting with a sound like 'I' of 'I'm' (аи) are quite rare. It is more likely to be inside or at the end of a Russian word (the Russian characters аи are used at the end of some verbs in one form of the imperative, which could be used when issuing orders).

I have listened to every voice file from the game and sadly my Russian speaking ear cannot pick it out. :(