An update on the update!

ChrisND

You want the flawed version? What if it totally balls up your computer requiring a complete reformat of your hard drive and reloading all your software? How happy are you going to be then?

Just as satisfied as I am with the current 36% bug.

Edited by Jammersix

If I was to hazard a guess, I would think that the extra money we pay for a physical pre-order gets rewarded by a few hours early notice. DVD's, manuals, mailers etc. cost. I don't know how BF's making their money back on those, but I think this extra fund-age probably goes to cover that directly. Maybe part of the download costs do too. I just like a manual in my hands. That comes from way too many board games in years past.  I bet I have 60 out in the garage right now and no real space to keep them set up for long enough to make it worth it.  :(

I think you are further proving our point, though -- if anything, the profit margin on a pure-digital pre-order would be higher than one involving materials to be processed, sent and delivered, etc.  In fact, I would almost argue the pure-digital customers should be prioritized the highest as the ones that are going to make the most money for the company (without factoring in that those who pre-order for physical materials are probably the most fanatical of the players here and probably in fact are the most valuable in terms of evangelizing the product, etc.)

Like I said, just guessing. I would think BF probably would make more profit if all they did was digital but it's their business to run, however they want. I can also understand that people who live where prohibitive postal costs and import fees are imposed are at a disadvantage. I am happy that I have the option to do either.  

Like I said, just guessing. I would think BF probably would make more profit if all they did was digital but it's their business to run, however they want. I can also understand that people who live where prohibitive postal costs and import fees are imposed are at a disadvantage. I am happy that I have the option to do either.  

I'm older and supposedly wiser now vs. the pre-CMBO days (yes, I have been here this long), but I am still fighting the urge to complain only semi-successfully in terms of how this product development cycle drags on and expectations continue to be somewhat not managed well.

I'm sure a lot of folks here on these boards work in software engineering or project management -- what is frustrating to some of us is that while some of the most exciting players in the game industry have switched to a scrum system (e.g. Early Access games on Steam) where they develop features as users request them, Battlefront still seems stuck in an older development model, waterfall.  This is ironic considering how Battlefront was among the leaders in revolutionizing the marketplace with CMBO disintermediating the brick and mortar stores that kept the games we wanted from us.

Scrum is pretty great in a lot of applications, and I like it in game development, because it lets folks get buy-in early and vote, as the customers actually excited about and buying the game, in terms of features they want, how things are working, etc.

Battlefront still seems to be stuck in the waterfall model, where they build the game they think we want, spend a lot of time doing it, and then launch it and patch as needed.  Admittedly in most cases this seems to have worked well (the CMSF issues being one where it didn't go as well initially), but I can't help but feel like at this point, given how niche this gaming product is and how enthused we all are about testing/playing it, that maybe it is time to switch to scrum development (early access) and let us help them build the best game.  There's a certain amount of hubris in thinking your team alone knows what is good for us, as paying customers.  Yes, it is they who are building it, and true enough, no serious competition has emerged, but it won't always be like this.  My bet is that if a company finally does beat Battlefront in terms of servicing this particular, specific niche, it is going to be a company that gives what they won't -- early access and buy-in.

Edited by Capt. Toleran

Honestly I think that model would work terribly for this product.  BF would go under trying to implement stuff that is just not feasible resource wise.  Why can't we just be happy that we have something, stop freaking out if it takes a few weeks longer to develop and stop trying to change a working business model.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Edited by sburke

I'm just very grateful to the modders here -- I haven't thanked the many folks here who have given the games an all-new lifespan long after the charm on the originals wore off.  I still blanch at the colors in the screenshots for the upcoming game and personally will be waiting with baited breath for the first realistic colors mod, realistic tracers mod, sound mods, etc.  And thanks to Battlefront for allowing modders to do their thing, and building the game with that kind of flexibility.  To me it is proof that the team could use some help when it comes to certain design decisions, but if everyone else is happy with the base product, then I am just thankful for the flexibility we continue to have in being able to alter the game after the fact.

Cmon, release the game already ;)  I'm aching to spend my money.

Edited by Capt. Toleran

good point this game has some of the best modders I have seen from new textures to conversions like euroscape from shockforce the amount of usernade content is amazing

Agreed.  I just realized the mission designing folks need a shout out here as well -- I will be very happy to see all the new content this game will enable, made by those with a passion for the topic and a good game.  I have tried my own hand at it and realized very quickly how out of my league I was compared to the many efforts they make to design historically accurate, or just fun, missions and campaigns outside of what came with the stock game.  I know we be seeing a certain airport pop up soon in a user-created mission, as well as a certain "pocket" in the news lately over there...

It's not coming today guys. We are still testing the installers.

Thank you. I wish other people could have said it's not out earlier instead of all the dumb wink wink nudge nudge posts. It gets frustrating after a while, like beating a dead horse of a tired joke repeatedly when all you want is a straight answer and not for people to act like it's out. 

We're an older community, we're grognards. But this thread was nearing Steam Forum Thread points until I had to be like, hey i'm disabled and kinda depressed so can we just cut the jokes and either say y'all got the download link aka it's out or not? It's not like people who are waiting for the digital version can download it yet, so there's really no reason to keep it a secret like you're Gollum hoarding the One Ring.

So, once again thank you Chris for shooting straight. I know i'm not the only one who appreciates this because of budgetary reasons.

Thank you. I wish other people could have said it's not out earlier instead of all the dumb wink wink nudge nudge posts. It gets frustrating after a while, like beating a dead horse of a tired joke repeatedly when all you want is a straight answer and not for people to act like it's out. 

We're an older community, we're grognards. But this thread was nearing Steam Forum Thread points until I had to be like, hey i'm disabled and kinda depressed so can we just cut the jokes and either say y'all got the download link aka it's out or not? It's not like people who are waiting for the digital version can download it yet, so there's really no reason to keep it a secret like you're Gollum hoarding the One Ring.

So, once again thank you Chris for shooting straight. I know i'm not the only one who appreciates this because of budgetary reasons.

well when it is out, BF will announce it officially, not via a forum thread post so you could just look for the official announcement.

I'm sure a lot of folks here on these boards work in software engineering or project management -- what is frustrating to some of us is that while some of the most exciting players in the game industry have switched to a scrum system (e.g. Early Access games on Steam) where they develop features as users request them, Battlefront still seems stuck in an older development model, waterfall.  This is ironic considering how Battlefront was among the leaders in revolutionizing the marketplace with CMBO disintermediating the brick and mortar stores that kept the games we wanted from us.

Scrum is pretty great in a lot of applications, and I like it in game development, because it lets folks get buy-in early and vote, as the customers actually excited about and buying the game, in terms of features they want, how things are working, etc.

With respect, Scrum is merely one of many agile methodology frameworks.  An agile approach to CM development would require that testing was continuous.  Given how rigorous the testing needs to be in CM (reference any thread where spotting or penetration is felt to be off), I am not sure the wider community could support it that level of testing.

The buy-in early access model has other problems. Most people genuinely don't know what they like (and it's hard to tell if this applies to you), and so feedback from the masses has a very low signal/noise ratio.

Equally, when planned features don't arrive (like multiplayer co-op and campaigns, both mentioned in the CMSF manual in 2007) - the extra investment ("ownership") that players ideally feel for an early access game can very quickly turn sour.

I'm not suggesting that the way Battlefront does things is the only way to do it, nor even necessarily the best way, but Early Access on Steam is not a strictly-better option.

Edited by domfluff