Is CMSF a gateway drug to CMBS? Stay tuned!

After hearing of his failed attempts to get the CMBN demo going (some Windows issue), I learned Charles, my youngest brother,  preferred ARs to M1 Garands, so suggested he try the Demo of CMSF. Happily, this one worked, and he dove in headfirst. When last heard from, he won his training mission (turn based single player; figured RT would drive him mad), but unsurprisingly, found the experience "frustrating." But how frustrated can he be if he plans on having another go right after dinner? I believe he's hooked and have so notified him. Taste E-crack once, and you're done. He's also run into Mr.Clausewitz and his friction.

Since I've been talking up the wonders of CMBS and the latest version of the game engine for some time now, I believe that the CMSF Demo will prove to be his gateway to CMBS, though the Stryker Effect may come into play, for now retired brother George was an SFC in the first SBCT to ever be deployed, though he didn't actually crew a Stryker, being busy running the TOC or driving around in bad places (Anbar Province, Iraq) in an armored Hummer with Ma Deuce or MK-19 on the roof. Even if this is the case, I believe brother Charles will inevitably be seduced by all the cool toys in CMBS, and he's already predisposed to such seduction, having worked with the Night Stalkers when at MD Helicopters, being an avid shooter and tech junkie to boot. Time will tell.

Regards,

John Kettler 

Kieme(ITA),

Judging from all the horror stories I read back then (2007) regarding CMSF, I emphatically agree. As very prematurely released, in order to meet certain contract requirements,  it was so bad there was open concern on the Forums BFC might not survive the damage and ill will CMSF engendered when people first started playing. It's now, I believe, a mature game, one thoroughly gone through, fixed, patched, etc. It doesn't have 3.0 yet, but that's coming. The 7-year wait reminds me of a guy I used to work with. A conservative sort, he wanted a Peugeot 504 Diesel, but wasn't about to trust his wallet to a new design. He therefore waited 7 years to get one. Luckily for him, the French don't change models every year or two just because they can.

Brother Charles apparently fought his way to a deadly draw in the scenario with lots of Strykers. 22 American KIA, roughly 3 x that WIA, plus lots of new production orders for Strykers. He's decided that a force that size was simply too much to deal with as a newbie. I suggested something small taken from the "oops! now I know it's not in there" QB side of the house. Have also tantalized him with tales of range fuzed airburst munitions and other CMBS toys.

(cackles maniacally)

Regards,

John Kettler 

22 american KIA and 60 WIA? What did he do? Order an artillery barrage, forget about it and send his men right into their own guns fire? Happend to me once or twice :D.

Tell him to watch some of the tutorials before he gets too frustrated. Start with this one:

and when his done tell him to watch the armchai general tactics series, here is part one:

That should help him getting started with any Combat Mission title, not just Normandy.

Yes there are significant hazards attached to being an inveterate early adopter of games for the PC. I like modern kit so I dove into CMSF from day one and, as you say, it was a massive farrago. Steve and I had what might be called "robust" exchanges on the forum about the truly appalling vehicle pathfinding; we always kept it civil so there were no bans but he did not enjoy my use of the words "Keystone Kops" to characterize vehicle behavior in the early versions. They patched up the game after about six months but by then I was exhausted at having paid to be a beta tester and lost my enthusiasm for the game. I had no intention of coming back until I saw ChrisND's playthroughs of CMBS. I saw vehicles being maneuvered on- and off-road with necessary precision, a much improved UI, better integration of off-map assets, more effective infantry and much-enhanced AI, which was by far the most urgent general requirement for the game to live up to its potential. CMBS appears to be a fully mature product with a shiny new engine to boot, so I am delighted to be diving in again and expect not to be antagonizing Steve. I do not think I will reinstall SF, though, as I can tiptoe Strykers around the battlefield to my heart's content in BS.

Edited by Bahger

I agree with you, the release version of Shock Force was, well, aweful. I played it at a friends place and it i couldnt imagine that i one day might like the game as much as i do now. But I got back to CMSF in 2011, when the game had already been through years of patching, and i very much enjoyed and still enjoy what it has become.

agusto,

Appreciate suggestions, but I judging from what I'm seeing, methinks I need more sleep. I don't follow the logic of showing him CMBN tutorials, given the significant differences in weapons, environment and other things my tired brain can't presently recall. Is there no decent CMSF tutorial available online? Is that why you've put up what you have? Sleep-deprived minds want to know.

Regards,

John Kettler

Well the tactics shown in the armchair general tutorials are still very much relevant to modern combat, John. Fire and movement, reconnaisence (god knows if i spelled that right), OCOKA etc are still important today. But if you want to show him something more modern combat related, try this:

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/93094-a-complete-video-walkthrough-of-the-german-nato-campaign-with-narration/

It is not a designated tutorial, but you can still learn a lot from these videos.

John

There is always;

http://cmsfwarchest.blogspot.ca/2010/11/tutorial-10-introduction.html

I've directed a friend of mine here, who has been interested in CM for a while, and with his interest in modern conflicts, CMSF is, I thought right up his alley.  He read through it and ended up buying the complete CMSF packadge.

And he has pre-ordered CMBS.

Maybe CMSF is a gateway drug?

Or just have him look at the latest stream from ChrisND, particularly the Black Sea Training campaign, where Chris explains the interface and how to play the game and then shows a actual introduction battle where everything learned is used.

I don't know if that particular stream is up on Youtube yet, but if not, it should be in the next few days.

Thanks for the help! He's evidently been hammering away at CMSF, with apparent focus on mastering actual operating mechanics (Dismount vs Bail Out, for example) and today asked me which is the best game (for him) and wanted to know how much the CM(x2/x3/x4) games cost, to which I gave the base figure, discussed modules and the value of bundling. In sales, his inquiry is known as a buying question. After describing his CM gaming options to him, my brother said: "I don't hate World War II, but I prefer modern." You know what I recommended after hearing that.

Have just sent him the ChrisND training series link, which is up, a link to the BFC CMBS pages for features and units, the pre-order page and a few other things, including a piece on the combat use of the Syrian T-72 TURMS-T, which came up when I was talking about the best Syria could offer vs the Abrams.

Regards,

John Kettler 

Edited by John Kettler