Armata Discussion and Latest News

Tank Net has a great thread on Armata, a subject of which I know very little. Am pretty sure some of our members are there. Of particular interest, per information officially released very late December of 2014, is that Armata will first publicly appear in the September 2015 Victory Day parade, after which several dozen will start Army trials (my comment: which may or may not go well). Great are the lamentations of those there on Tank Net  who wish for a whole new tank and the abandonment of 125 mm guns, even the more powerful 2A82. If the date of appearance given is correct, I'd say there is a, pardon the expression, fighting chance that Armata, depending on how it fares in the trials and tweaks needed if generally okay, could be available, at least in small numbers, within the CMBS time frame. I can already hear tread head chops being licked! 

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Weer,

My apologies for the glaring mistake. Believe it was a carryover from something else I read earlier. 

ikalugin,

How do you know they exist? So many of your posts state things as facts, but with no apparent sourcing. I got publicly crucified on the Forums over precisely the same issue because I was generally unable to provide a public source for intel information I presented regarding various Ukraine War matters. Very much look forward to seeing the hot new Armata toys before/at the Victory Day parade.

Regards,

John Kettler

ikalugin,

In this case, an eminently reasonable response. I don't read Russian, but your second link is either extremely terse or isn't showing what it should. Judging from you what said over in Strategic and Tactical Realities of CMBS, you are a native Russian, and are not presently serving. I would still greatly appreciate it if you sourced such goodies as your discourse on Russian MANPADS and who has what. I recognize you may not be able to reveal such things directly, lest you wind up being interrogated in the "box,"  as we say here in the States, but were you to say "Through my time in the service I learned..." that would be fine with me. Unless even that would put you in a pickle. 

BTR,

Both of the links in your #8 return Error 404 and are therefore useless in making your case.

Regards,

John Kettler

BTR,

I just rechecked the ones you posted.The first returned ERROR 404, the other, invalid request. The other link you provided has some cool stuff, especially given my former job and interests, but I don't see to what you refer, and the translate function is on what's effectively a useless page informing me Gurkhan's blog isn't there. What I do see are DVDs on the T-90, T-80U and such, with emphasis on building models. And oh the models available! Am I missing something, please?

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

http://ria.ru/defense_safety/20150123/1043960668.html

According to this Defence spending as part of GDP would rise from 3.7 percent of GDP in 2014 to 4.6 percent of GDP in 2015 and as part of budget from 19.2 to 23 percent.

The share of the rearmament program is expected to increase to 59 percent of the budget by 2017 (from 37 in 2013) and up to 70 percent by 2020.

This is not to begin economical/political discussion, but to illustrate the commitment to the rearmament programs we have.

Edited by ikalugin

This is unrealistic, but to rescue the ruble spent over 100 billion dollars - sanctions and low price of oil kills the Russian economy - so that the forecasts in military spending are just propaganda

The relative increase in defence spending is the result of how our budget is formed, it is one of the "protected" items, meaning that it is not dependent on revenues from trade.

The relative increase in defence spending is the result of how our budget is formed, it is one of the "protected" items, meaning that it is not dependent on revenues from trade.

Russia can still spend reserves to rescue the economy $ 170 billion (only to rescue the ruble spent $ 120 billion) - of course there are still special funds (fund reserves and national welfare fund) - but using them is unlikely - Russia will limit spending - on paper / propaganda maintain military spending, however, some of the money will go back to the budget as the money is not used by the army - so hiding budget cuts. In view of the ruins of the economy, there is no other choice.

Russia can still spend reserves to rescue the economy $ 170 billion (only to rescue the ruble spent $ 120 billion) - of course there are still special funds (fund reserves and national welfare fund) - but using them is unlikely - Russia will limit spending - on paper / propaganda maintain military spending, however, some of the money will go back to the budget as the money is not used by the army - so hiding budget cuts. In view of the ruins of the economy, there is no other choice.

Why "rescue" ruble, if it allows the state to maintain its budget?

Why "rescue" ruble, if it allows the state to maintain its budget?

It is impossible, 9% inflation, rising prices, depletion of the population, capital flight, the decline of foreign exchange reserves (from 510 to 399 billion dollars), the collapse of the ruble, the decline in investment and consumption - only a madman would increase financial expenses on the army.

It is impossible, 9% inflation, rising prices, depletion of the population, capital flight, the decline of foreign exchange reserves (from 510 to 399 billion dollars), the collapse of the ruble, the decline in investment and consumption - only a madman would increase financial expenses on the army.

Hmmm... define "mad man".........hmmmmm.....

Inflation and rising prices is the same thing by the way. We got into (natural) population growth in recent years actually. 

http://www.cbr.ru/hd_base/default.aspx?Prtid=mrrf_m

Yes, they got down in the 2014. Would still last a few years though. Collapse of the ruble is actually a good thing for the budget - their foreign currency revenues would allow them to keep non protected budget article going. The stagnation/recession was coming even before the Ukrainian crisis and only points that we need an economical reform, which was promised by Putin during his address to the Federal Council

It is inevitable regardless of those factors, as this is how our laws regarding the budget work. Over simplified version of those is:

- there are core "protected" budget articles (which include defence spending) - those are balanced with reliable incomes.

- other budget articles, those are balanced with additional  non reliable incomes, such as the incomes from foreign trade (gas/oil included).

- it is assume that most of oil/gas incomes would go into reserve funds anyway.

Edited by ikalugin

Inflation and rising prices is the same thing by the way. We got into (natural) population growth in recent years actually. 

http://www.cbr.ru/hd_base/default.aspx?Prtid=mrrf_m

Yes, they got down in the 2014. Would still last a few years though. Collapse of the ruble is actually a good thing for the budget - their foreign currency revenues would allow them to keep non protected budget article going. The stagnation/recession was coming even before the Ukrainian crisis and only points that we need an economical reform, which was promised by Putin during his address to the Federal Council

It is inevitable regardless of those factors, as this is how our laws regarding the budget work. Over simplified version of those is:

- there are core "protected" budget articles (which include defence spending) - those are balanced with reliable incomes.

- other budget articles, those are balanced with additional  non reliable incomes, such as the incomes from foreign trade (gas/oil included).

- it is assume that most of oil/gas incomes would go into reserve funds anyway.

no policy change Russia will lose most of the reserves that should be spent on the economy, and will be lost to the rescue of the ruble - without the money and foreign investment, and because of the flight of capital, it is impossible to reform the economy
- The law (fight against corruption), the free market, political stability, innovation, competition, a strong middle class, small companies are the engine of the economy, and the money (your own or investors) to fuel this engine
Russia does not have the engine and the fuel is already over.
Edited by waclaw

Why "rescue" the ruble? Foreign investment comes from other places, such as PRC (via the currency swap deals for example).

We have anti corruption laws (anti corruption comity head mr.Kabanov http://president-sovet.ru/members/constitution/read/24 ismy friend), free (but regulated) market, political stability and other factors that you have mentioned.

Thus your arguments are just factually wrong.

Edited by ikalugin

Why "rescue" the ruble? Foreign investment comes from other places, such as PRC (via the currency swap deals for example).

We have anti corruption laws (anti corruption comity head mr.Kabanov http://president-sovet.ru/members/constitution/read/24 ismy friend), free (but regulated) market, political stability and other factors that you have mentioned.

Thus your arguments are just factually wrong.

that is, all right?
- $ 120 billion has been spent on rescuing rubal (this is not the end)
- More than 100 billion euros of capital fled from Russia (this is not the end)
- War of ukraine, annexation of Abkhazia, sanctions and the price war (oil) - means political instability - which is why the ruble collapsed and capital flees
- Inflation / high prices
- 138 place of corruption index  (for 175 countries) http://www.transparency.org/cpi2014/results- Russia has the anti-corruption law - except that it does not work (lack of transparency, oligarchy, dictatorship, no opposition, no free media)
- Dependence on oil prices
- Pauperization

current troubles of Russia, this is just the beginning, and has only been one year.
Edited by waclaw