Spotting and Skylining

Noltyboy

the last time this came up as a definitive question Steve's reply was no.

Hmm, maybe, however when you skyline a unit you really are making it more visible.. so I would say that it does indeed have an effect in that you are more likely to be spotted if you skyline your units.  Regardless it is a good idea to mask your movement from the enemy as much as possible.. see: Masked Movement

Edited by Bil Hardenberger

Regardless it is a good idea to mask your movement from the enemy as much as possible.. see: Masked Movement

Absolutely. I make it a matter of almost religious observance to keep some terrain between me and the enemy until I am ready to shoot. Circumstances don't always make that possible, but it is definitely worth looking for.

Michael

The answer is no, just as Steve said

Early on I ran test to see if Skylinning, or shadows had any affect on spotting and found that there was none and from the sounds of it, will never be in the game. Just something they did not want to try and add. Likely just way too hard to calculate and way too much data to produce for the amount it would affect the game as to play.

Likely just way too hard to calculate and way too much data to produce for the amount it would affect the game as to play.

Too hard to calculate? Nah - CM does that a thousand times each turn. Tracing a line from a spotter to a target and check if there is LOS. For skylining that LOS check (if successful) would have to be continue to see if the LOS intersects with the field borders and does not hit the ground. One additional check. Maybe too expensive now but computers get faster al the time. :)

Such a check would determine what is behind a target and could be used for more spotting modifiers (vs forest or vs a wall for instance).

My guess is that we will see it eventually. :)