Reenforment triggers

puje

One of the more interesting things I noticed being added to the editor, was what I understood as reenforment triggers.

I think the example given was that when moving your forces, on the edge of the map, across flat terrain, it doesn't really make sense for enemy reenforements to appear right next to them, just because you happened to reach their spawn point at the exact time they spawned in.

From what I understood, there would now be an option to trigger reenforments by making essentially a hidden "touch" objective some distance away from the enemy's spawn point.

Am I getting this right?

I hope I am, because I see a lot of possibilities in this.

Would I also be able to make my own reenforcement appear using triggers?

I can't seem to find it. I think I remember reading a "features" page at some point, which contained this?

This is from the early released manual:

"Ability to create AI Triggers that execute actions based on other units or interaction with Objectives"

This not exactly what I was talking about, but maybe?

Though I definitely believe I read something like the first stated also...

Unfortunately, the one thing AI triggers does not currently do, is bring on reinforcements. :(

Once they're on the map, it would allow you to get them to, for example, head for the right flank or head for the left flank based on what the enemy have triggered, but their arrival is still time-based only.

Edited by Baneman

Damn.   That would have been great to have triggers on reinforcement spawn in times.

I remember with bitterness one scenario where a T72 tank company spawned on top of my Stryker platoon.  The outcome was ugly, needless to say.  And the Marine campaign scenario where you assault a ridge line.  I remember assaulting and occupying the trench works on the ridge, only to have Syrian infantry spawn into the trenches with my squads in them.   Mutual annihilation by grenades.   :lol:

But this is a great idea for future engine upgrades: Triggered reinforcements. Imagine the possibilities!

Well, it depends. If the reinforcements are having to do some traveling to get to the map (i.e., operational reserves), it would be unrealistic to have them arrive early, although delayed should be possible. If the reinforcements are meant to be locally held (just off the map edge), having their arrival time triggered by something happening on the map is more plausible. Much better perhaps would be to have them with alternative arrival zones in case their primary one is enemy-occupied.

Michael

I'd love to have both options (Of course. I don't have toimplement it. :lol: )

The thing about triggered *anything* is that it allows for more flexibility. Triggered AI allowed an AI that adapted to the player, triggered reinforcements would allow for even more diversity on the battlefield. Giving the attacker more units to "press the advantage" during an offensive scenario or changing where your units show up if your defenses are being overrun can really change the feel of a battle.

what probably works better is to extend the map a bit to have a unit set up on map and respond to a trigger rather than spawn on map on a trigger.  Spawning can have inherent problems as others have noted. 

The trouble with this is when the scenario is played H2H those forces are available immediately.   That changes the balance - big time.

Just adding more space is not a solution - cause you never know what the human player might do.  During play testing of new scenarios I have had this happen - designer did not think I would do that or be so reckless and get there that quick - suddenly reinforcements are spawning on top of my attackers.  Yuck.  However having triggered reinforcements means the AI designer can set them to arrive at a certain time or when the opfor reaches a certain point.  That way they can totally prevent the spawning on top problem and it would always just look like you came over the hill, or out of the woods and ran into opposition.  All pretty natural and works for both single play or H2H.

In general, I try hard to avoid reinforcements for all the reasons listed, AND because they rarely make sense at CMs scale. If I do use them, I try even harder to ensure that camping/spawning won't be a problem. Its not all that hard, as long as I have a sound holistic concept before i start working in the editor.