‘Chemical detection devices’ on Russian armoured vehicles.

Trenchmouth

I’ve been trying to keep myself busy until release by researching an idea I had for a scenario.  I’m still in the reference stage, trying to get my head around the practicalities of ‘modern’ warfare.  Going through the technical specs of things like BMPs and BRMs I keep coming across a reference to the’ WPChR military chemical detection device’ but I can’t find any more details.  What I’m interested in is how it functions in practise.  Do the crew just get a warning noise that chemicals have been detected and an all clear when they are out of the area /the chemical has dispersed or do they get specific info on what was detected and where?

I am thinking of scenario with very localised chemical hotspots/leaks rather than deliberate, targetted use of chemical weapons.  Also environmental conditions that would suppress the spread and 'damp it down' thus restricting the toxic effects to small areas of the map.  As far as I can tell all armour is now NBC protected with overpressure and filtration systems so as long as they stay buttoned up they should be unaffected. Obviously dismounted infantry units are not modelled with any NBC protection so they'd need to be kept well away from the hotspots but I don't see this as a major obstacle to the design of the scenario.  Is there anything else I should consider?

It's a nice idea, but it's outside the scope of the game.

Within CMBS there's no programming dedicated to NBC battlefield conditions, although you can represent some aspects of it by tweaking scenarios settings (check CMRT to see what they are), moreover, you can change all game textures as you wish to, even making a dedicated mod for a specific scenario only (just use the [tag] functionality). Aside from this CMBS represents only a "normal" combat setting.

Thanks for the speedy replies. 

I do intend to have a crack at some texture mods seeing as my day job is as an illustrator :) I'm intrigued by the idea of tagging mods specifically for scenarios, I must look into that. Cheers.

I was hoping that I could play with unit stats to mimic disorientation and confusion effects of light exposure and maybe the exhaustion of working in suits.  But until I can see the CMx3 manual I’m not sure how things have changed in the editor since I played CMBO, CMBB and Market Garden. Sounds promising though.

I have no intention of trying to shoehorn in something that is beyond the scope of the current game, ie full NBC battelfield conditions, this is more of a meeting engagement with a more exotic interpretation of area denial :)

Edited by Trenchmouth

For that I belive the editor setting will prove valuable, and don't forget the new feature dedicated to electronic warfare, you can practically turn down to 0 the radio capabilities of all units, thus making a very hard game if you play at high levels of difficulty.

I'd like to see such a mod, the absence of evident NBC suits wouldn't be as problematic as the lack of gas masks, which is the most important graphical problem, in my opinion, not sure how painting gas masks on solidier's faces would look like. Just in case I have a couple of modern US and russian gas masks I can take any picture off, if someone is interested. 

Also, some terrain modding would be nice, scorched earth, burned ground, and some of the trees could be modded to show them without foliage.

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

I expect there will be quite a bit of 'electronic interference' experienced by both sides during this scenario.  Just watched a YouTube tut on AI triggers in Red Thunder and that gives me a few more ideas :)  Definitely looking at doing some terrain mods scorched earth/burned ground on the list and I was thinking of turning craters into toxic puddles, didn't I see some barrels as flavour objects in one of Chris' playthroughs?  Lots to play with :)

I am pretty sure the barrels will be there, you can mod them as well as you wish.

About the craters, you can paint them as you like, but no liquid surface reflections can be added, you can try some tricks nonetheless.

That's good to know.  Reflections would've been nice but didn't expect that to be possible anyway. I shouldn't need them, this toxic stuff is going to be such a lurid colour that a few bubbles should suffice :)