Why doesn't the US Air Support roster in CMBS have the A-10 on it?

Judging from the size of this thread, it appears that people feel strongly about A-10s....

The A-10 was not included because at the time that research was done, all signs were that the A-10 was going to be retired by 2017. Simple as that. When the time comes for the next module / pack, that decision will be re-evaluated.

Judging from the size of this thread, it appears that people feel strongly about A-10s....

I think that is a fair estimation of the situation. I've a little surprised at how long the argument has gone on and how much heat it has sometimes generated. That is a sign I think that both sides have points in their favor. It could be construed as a bit odd how much affection this plane inspires, and I say that as someone who is also in its camp.

:)

Michael

The A-10 was not included because at the time that research was done, all signs were that the A-10 was going to be retired by 2017. Simple as that. When the time comes for the next module / pack, that decision will be re-evaluated.

He comes.  The lamentations of the ground dwellers will be heard to the heavens, and all laid low at His passing.  It has been foretold in Prophecy.  

Just came across this as a potential A-10 replacement? Personally I don't see it happening.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/03/15/could-this-airplane-replace-the-a-10-warthog.aspx

While I may agree with the top brass thinking that the A-10 may be at risk in a high intensity conflict, the reality is we have been fighting in low intensity conflicts. I still think if the really wanted to they could look into something like a laser system to knock down incoming SAMs and mount it on A-10's. I doubt it can't be done, in fact I would bet dollars to doughnuts its already in place on planes like Air Force 1 and the Looking Glass. Yes they are large 747 platforms but at the rate technology is advancing its probably doable on the A-10 at a reasonable cost.

Here is another article about the A-10:

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/now-the-u-s-air-force-wants-you-to-believe-the-a-10-is-too-old-to-fight-87311b3bd95c

• 10 months later...

The A-10 lives--until 2022, says the SECDEF (longer if the Legislative branch gets its way, which is likely)! 

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/02/02/dod-to-request-16-troop-pay-raise-a10-lifeline-cash-fight-isis.html

Fair Use

(excerpt)

"On the A-10 ground attack aircraft, better known as the "Warthog," Carter essentially scrapped current Air Force plans to mothball the A-10 fleet, which have consistently been rejected by Congress. In Iraq and Syria, the A-10s "have been devastating ISIL from the air," Carter said, using another acronym for the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria.

"The budget defers the A-10's final retirement until 2022, replacing it with F-35s on a squadron-by-squadron basis so we'll always have enough aircraft for today's conflicts," Carter said. Congressional advocates of the A-10 quickly charged that Carter's deferral of the A-10's retirement wasn't good enough.

Carter's announcement on the A-10 "confirms why we fought so hard and continue to fight to keep this plane flying," but "this is still an early retirement," said Rep. Martha McSally, R-Nev., a HASC member, retired Air Force colonel and former A-10 pilot.

"I'll continue to lead the fight to ensure we keep the A-10 until a suitable alternative yet to be identified is developed, tested, and proven to do the mission," McSally said in a statement."

With the "A-10 won't be in service 2017, so that's why it shouldn't be in CMBS" argument now disposed of, I'd like to renew the chorus crying out for having the A-10 in the game. It's hardly fair to get pulverized by the nowhere nearly as potent Su-25 while being denied the A-10 even now out killing things, including tanks. And while I'm thrilled the A-10 will serve until at least 2022, I have terribly queasy feelings about replacing A-10 squadrons with the F-35, the plane that maneuvers worse than F-16s built in 1980 (and they can't remotely compete with the A-10 when it comes to low level maneuvering), has a nonworking, smaller caliber gun with tiny ammo load and has sensors which mostly don't work. Wait'l the ground pounders hear about this "progress!"

Regards,

John Kettler

@ChrisND, put the Warthog in the next expansion pack, and you'll be selling it like hot cakes!! No need for Russian Commandos, other  European nations, M1A2 SEP v3's and all that jazz!  ;)

Especially if you get to see the butt ugly thing doing a gun run!!! Do that and you could have a Warthog Aircraft pack! I'd buy that for a dollar!  :P

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious about the Rosomak also,  but mainly as to why it seems to have such a good reputation? Not critical, just curious. 

Further,  the Polish defence forces would be a very interesting mix of NATO/RUS weaponry. I play exclusively as RUS,  do that style plus some kick ass NATO gear would be RAWR.