I sence the Time is Near

slysniper

Man, last night I was bored  so I sat and watched one of ChrisND demos of the game he posted on YouTube.

It was driving me crazy, I just cannot wait to get my hands on the game.

So today I finally ordered it, knowing it will be out soon (I have always managed to preorder and get the game within two weeks, Pretty good timing in the past. Hope it works again.)

Anyway, I have never been so excited for one of their games. Which seems funny to me since I have not even purchased their other modern stuff. Tried the demo's, somewhat liked them but just hated the match ups. Where as now I just cannot wait to get the units and start testing different tactics as to how to overcome some of the high tech stuff.

It also just reminds me how glad I am I did not see action while I was serving in the service. Because now days if you are on the wrong end of a firefight, it is over before you even know what is happening. Being spotted by the enemy first normally means death or wounded with little chance of striking back. Just the facts of the modern battlefield and the game portrays it well.

It also just reminds me how glad I am I did not see action while I was serving in the service. Because now days if you are on the wrong end of a firefight, it is over before you even know what is happening. Being spotted by the enemy first normally means death or wounded with little chance of striking back. Just the facts of the modern battlefield and the game portrays it well.

You'd actually be surprised how lethal stuff isn't IRL.You'd probably be sent into a rage if you saw a Abrams eat four RPG-29 rockets, all of which penetrate, and none of which actually do anything to the tank or if you dropped a 500lbs. bomb on a machine gun position and had the gun come right back up or if you sent a Hellfire into a loaded BTR and saw all the occupants bail out unharmed. But that kinda stuff stuff happens regularly on the battlefield, even with modern weapons.

Edited by Apocal

You'd actually be surprised how lethal stuff isn't IRL.You'd probably be sent into a rage if you saw a Abrams eat four RPG-29 rockets, all of which penetrate, and none of which actually do anything to the tank or if you dropped a 500lbs. bomb on a machine gun position and had the gun come right back up or if you sent a Hellfire into a loaded BTR and saw all the occupants bail out unharmed. But that kinda stuff stuff happens regularly on the battlefield, even with modern weapons.

True

But Not everyone is riding around in a Abram

Or wearing a Rabbit foot that actually works.

I was in the infantry and then a Sniper. Neither of which provided protection other than the Shirt I was wearing (no body armor that did much in my day 80-87).

So I see it from a grunts point of view. And on the modern battlefield it does not look pleasant if caught on the wrong side of an engagement. That is all I am saying.

Funny, that is exactly how I have spent my precious leisure time these last two evenings (watching ChrisND's videos). I, too am more excited about this game than I expected to be. I prefer modern-era tactical combat but I am a chronic early-adopter, which was NOT the best way to appreciate Shock Force, which took longer to sort itself out than I had time. BS looks like it is built on what is now a very evolved engine and I am really impressed by the apparent quality of the tac-AI. Above all, it is clear from ChrisND's videos that the game really rewards real-life maneuver tactics; it seems to me to be much more of a sim and less of a game than any other iteration of the series that I have played. Have you seen ChrisND's playthrough of the Green Line scenario?

No, did not watch that one.

But you are right in that maneuver seems to be even more important now than in the older period games.

But I have also learned over the years of playing these games. Good maneuvering can be the winning factor.

I use to just maneuver enough for create what I thought was fire power advantages.

Now I move much more in my battles and I see many benefits for doing it.

Like I am in a h2h match right now where I shifted my whole battle group to the right and then started pushing up the right flank, wanting to sell that I was committing everything there. Then when the defender shifted. I sent my cover fire units back to the left flank and proceeded to push up both sides.

Just watching him shift, expose what units he has and then position my forces to try and prevent or at least shoot at units he now needs to shift back is worth the effort for all my maneuvering

I watched the second and third parts of the first mission, U.S. campaign and all of the Phase Line Green last night. The Russians popping up in the fields, woods, and such where they weren't expected, and the unanticipated Russian reinforcements really did make for a "nail-biter." As I watched the play, I was mentally evaluating the possible effects of the moves on the results. I play mainly H2H, so I think I "fear" potential SNAFUs much more then I did when I used to play just the AI.

The anticipation for CM;BS is horrible, but I have CMBN (with Commonwealth and Market Garden), CMFI (with GL), CMRT, and the entire CMSF series to keep me busy. It's amazing how immersed I can get in any of those games.

Stop your spying and go do a turn so I can hit you some more with them big guns. :)

And Yes, it is that game :D

LOL, yeah I am behind. In my defense what little free time I had today I spent testing.

The real problem is that the new forum SW actually works well from my phone so I can answer posts even when I have no time to play.

LOL, yeah I am behind. In my defense what little free time I had today I spent testing.

The real problem is that the new forum SW actually works well from my phone so I can answer posts even when I have no time to play.

Oh, rub it in why don't you. You call it testing, I call it learning the skills to beat me in the new game :)

As for posting, note that I have not done it much lately. Because most of the time it was from work when I had slow periods. Have not been doing that for awhile now.

True

But Not everyone is riding around in a Abram

Or wearing a Rabbit foot that actually works.

I was in the infantry and then a Sniper. Neither of which provided protection other than the Shirt I was wearing (no body armor that did much in my day 80-87).

So I see it from a grunts point of view. And on the modern battlefield it does not look pleasant if caught on the wrong side of an engagement. That is all I am saying.

Even guys stopping bullets with manjammies were surviving 500lbs. bombs landing within 10 meters and Hellfires slamming next to their feet while they ran. Not usually, but it apparently happens enough to be infuriating.

Even guys stopping bullets with manjammies were surviving 500lbs. bombs landing within 10 meters and Hellfires slamming next to their feet while they ran. Not usually, but it apparently happens enough to be infuriating.

Yes, it happens and it would seem impossible at times, but that is part of it.

Of course some of them guys were so high on drugs, that they did not know better that they were dying and bleeding out.

Almost like shooting a deer, you know it is going to kill them but the question is how far can they get before they bleed out.

That was one reason the M16 had such a bad rep. (No knock down power) I have heard of many cases how shot enemy soldiers would keep assaulting even after major hits. But again they normally were doped out of their minds anyway.

But that fact still is, they were not going home to their shacks the next day.

If you think it is all that safe, go spend a day out there and let me know how it goes with all these none lethal modern weapons out there.

To convince my Sons that they really did not want to be a soldier like their dad, We play a simple game, Pick a soldier to represent you in any CM battle. Lets keep track of what happens to him and how things go. Even if you cheat and try to take extra good care of him (which we had some house rules to help prevent that) there was many a bad day.

• 2 weeks later...