Scenario Design

Probably the best resource is the PDF that is included with the 3.0 upgrade, Sheriff of Osterbeek Scenario Design AAR. I believe it resides in the Documents folder in CM

I'm new to this too and have been lookng around for resources, as I have a thousand questions.

This post also has some additional resources to examine

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/117490-campaign-factory-job-openings-apply-now-no-experience-required/?p=1570254

Edited by Bud_B

See my sig :)

It was done for CMSF but the basics are pretty much the same. It's got nice wee pics as well and focusses on the practical stuff. Note - triggers were not around in CMSF and some stuff has undergone wee tweaks but it'll get you going.

Edited by George MC

Bud_B - hey fellow canuck, thanks for the info!  I feel a little embarrassed since I didn't even notice the Sherriff of Osterbeek file in my downloads!  Cheers!

George - I was reading the summary of your manual production in the repository last night. I had noticed it was designed originally for CMSF but that it works for CMBN as well.  Would you say that with version 3.11 it is still a valuable tool?  Thanks!

George - I was reading the summary of your manual production in the repository last night. I had noticed it was designed originally for CMSF but that it works for CMBN as well.  Would you say that with version 3.11 it is still a valuable tool?  Thanks!

It'll get you started with the basics. They haven't changed e.g. changing size of map, adding buildings, picking units etc etc. When it comes to AI Plans - well the main chnage is number of slots, triggers and slight tweak to the AI plan UI. All the rest gets you up and going. Any questions just post on the forum.

George, I have a question for you. When I'm designing maps, and I want to add a building, I get (say I pick barns) a number of choices but I can't really tell what any of the tiny icons really represents. Some are bigger, others smaller, but between small icon x or y, I can't see a difference. How do I know what I'm putting down?

George, I have a question for you. When I'm designing maps, and I want to add a building, I get (say I pick barns) a number of choices but I can't really tell what any of the tiny icons really represents. Some are bigger, others smaller, but between small icon x or y, I can't see a difference. How do I know what I'm putting down?

There was a wee PDF doing the rounds which showed you what was what. I'm, errr...at work right now but when I get home I'll dig it out and upload a copy.

Easy way to learn the editor is to use it.

Go into the map section and place some buildings and terrain tiles then review in the 3d preview. If you like what you see build on it and review again. If you don't like what you see think why not and change things around.

It really is something best learnt by trial and error.

P

The only way to tell is to go into the 3D preview. In the 3D mode you can actually change the facade/window configuration/roof types/damage of most buildings, using Shift-Click and other key combinations. See the manual for details.

If you don't have a handy chart or know it by heart, here is what I do.

Plop one of each building in the same relative manner as the 2D map editor building palette down onto your map, rows and columns. in a field or off out of the way. Then view in 3D and note in pencil which ones you REALLY want. Row and column #. R2C3, R3C2. etc. Then at the very end you delete those unwanteds....

I do the same thing with trees and the flavor objects.

I am having a problem with the scenario editor mapping section. When I am working on my map, and I click one of the objects, for example, modular buildings, I am not seeing all of them in the space below the objects. The grey space is 2/3 grey with no objects, and the bottom third of the grey area displays some of the objects (in this case, half of 6, 7, and 8 story).  I tried to paste a photo of the screenshot here but it won't let me.  Anyone know how to fix my problem?  I am using a Mac

Well folks, I hit a huge wall.  After watching hours of you tube videos and referencing the scenario design manuals, I became comfortable with the scenario editor and designed a tiny battle!  I had lots of fun making this happen. However, the snag came with the graphics for the briefing. I cannot use photoshop programs and so the briefing is without maps, orders, etc....basically unfinished. I tried using GIMP for several hours without success and so I retire my very brief career as a designer.  Back to being a gamer...cheers and thanks for the help everyone.