Download location: Will it force C:?

Bahger

Thanks, guys.  So it's the usual drill: game will install where I direct it to, game data will automatically go in C:/Documents/Battlefront/CM/Black Sea or some such file that it makes on initial installation.  That's fine, it's the game files that will clog up a small SSD boot drive, not the data, even when there is quite a lot of it.

Only if you install it in a Windows directory like Program Files or Windows.

I installed all of Shock Force (all files and data) to C:\CMSF.  If it is in its own directory, it will not put anything in the User/Document folder, so all of the game, data and saves are under the CMSF folder.

Only if you install it in a Windows directory like Program Files or Windows.

I installed all of Shock Force (all files and data) to C:\CMSF.  If it is in its own directory, it will not put anything in the User/Document folder, so all of the game, data and saves are under the CMSF folder.

The install model has changed since Shock Force, starting with FI. Now it adheres to some Windows insanity and puts the user-specific bits in the \My Documents\. I installed my FI in c:\games\FI\... and the saves, setting files etc. are all in ...\My Documents\Battlefront\FI\...

... Now it adheres to some Windows insanity and puts the user-specific bits in the \My Documents\. I installed my FI in c:\games\FI\... and the saves, setting files etc. are all in ...\My Documents\Battlefront\FI\...

Yeah, can't figure out why Windows decided to go ( enforce ) this route. Now everything is in 2 places. Genius ! :(

Yeah, can't figure out why Windows decided to go ( enforce ) this route. Now everything is in 2 places. Genius ! :(

Indeed, and if you have 2 versions of a post-FI game, the saves from each are kept all mixed up in the same folder. As you say: brilliant concept. Particularly when a given machine will only have one user who ever logs on (for all practical purposes).

I quite like this Windows convention, as long as the game data is not too bulky. It means there is much less chance of corruption or problems when Steam (which manages 90% of my games) applies frequent updates. And if I decide to uninstall a game or reinstall it on another drive, all output data is preserved. Just my 2c, I might find myself abandoning this system for this game.

I have them all installed on another drive, never had a problem.  In Windows it will put your game file directories (scenarios, saves, incoming and outgoing pbem and QB folders) on C:, that is a windows issue.  The game itself is wherever you want it.

And if you have your user account's "My Documents" folder redirected to another drive the game will use that.

I actually have my games installed on the C: drive (small SSD) and my "My Documents" set to point to my D: drive (big HD). So if you want you can get all of your stuff on your E: drive - but only if you move your whole "My Documents"

Indeed, and if you have 2 versions of a post-FI game, the saves from each are kept all mixed up in the same folder. As you say: brilliant concept. Particularly when a given machine will only have one user who ever logs on (for all practical purposes).

Yeah, I am not a fan of this. I would prefer that this be modifiable (override during installation) so I can keep my PBEM games separate and not accidentally "upgrade" game files when my opponent is not ready to.

Well I know why they did it - security. They want the Program Files folder's locked down as much as possible. But I fear you already knew this and were being sarcastic :)

What I don't particularly like is that we have no control were our saved game files end up. I am fine if the directory structure needs to be a certain way. I am not asking to open things up to have individual paths all over the place. But I would like to install CMFI 1.0 and have its games be under one top level folder while I also have a CMFI 1.2 installed who's game files are under another top level folder. That way when I open the 1.2 version of the game I do not see the save / PBEM files from the 1.0 install.

Of course adding command line support to CM would make me happy too because then CM Helper and Whose Turn Is It? could open each PBEM file with the correct version of the game nicely (see my sig) :D

I installed all (CMBN, CMFI and CMRT) on my C: SSD. I thought that it would assist in loading the scenarios faster but I have yet to see any improvement. In fact, some of my RT scenarios take as long as 5-7 minutes to load. Very frustrating as it gives me enough time to have my Tassimo make me a double-choco latte Frappuccino twice over.

Is Tassimo the name of your butler?  Seriously, I remain unconvinced that SSDs improve game performances over high-speed HDDs.  I try to be disciplined and use my 120GB SSD booi drive only for Windows, system utilities, basic low-footprint programs and non-gaming apps.  I use my large HDD for all games and like the fact that Windows stores output data in C:\Documents as these data files are not too large.

I recently did an informal test and found the version of CMRT on my SSD drive started up in 13s and the one on the platter drive took 27s - if I remember correctly. That was just start up I did not try to load up a turn or anything. How long did it take your machine before you started using an SSD drive?

My machine is pretty new, until recently I loaded up turns and then went to get coffee too but I don't have a butler so I have to boil water and stuff :D

Well I know why they did it - security. They want the Program Files folder's locked down as much as possible.

The very reason I install all my games in c:\games\... :) I don't want stoopid Program Files restrictions getting in the way of the games operating, and trust MS not one millimetre further than I have to not to suddenly decide that doing things "their way" means CM (or whatever) suddenly can't run in the Program files folder... :)

The very reason I install all my games in c:\games\... :) I don't want stoopid Program Files restrictions getting in the way of the games operating, and trust MS not one millimetre further than I have to not to suddenly decide that doing things "their way" means CM (or whatever) suddenly can't run in the Program files folder... :)

Indeed same. I actually have a Programs folder and it currently has quite a few things it it. Anytime I even suspect I might have an issue with Program Files lock down the install goes into Programs. The irony of course is that means that M$ plans to keep me safe are for naught :) But I think I can sleep at night.

And if you have your user account's "My Documents" folder redirected to another drive the game will use that.I actually have my games installed on the C: drive (small SSD) and my "My Documents" set to point to my D: drive (big HD). So if you want you can get all of your stuff on your E: drive - but only if you move your whole "My Documents"

Hmmm never considered that, I like! Sounds like a project for tonight. Thanks man!

The game itself starts fairly fast, it is the loading of scenarios ( I should have said that in my post). I only have a 180Gb SSD and with my OS, steam games and CM, I am down to 18Gb of space. I am not sure if that would also cause problems but 5-7 minutes for scenarios to load seems like a very long time.

I do not believe that having the game and the turn files on separate drives is a problem. 5-7 minutes does sound long. How big are the turn files, what are your machine specs like? Before I upgraded my machine it was pretty painful loading up a turn especially a big one but I do not remember timing a load longer than 3 minutes.

• 3 weeks later...