Ready rounds

Justicar

So having even a basic knowledge of MBT's will let you know that the loader only has acsess to a small number of rounds readily avaliable for the main gun.

And after watching some of Chris's streams it frightens me to see AI gunners wasting these valuable rounds on single infantry.

Is there any feature for a tank to pull back and have the crew restock ammo from the magazine? I don't think its out of the scope of a single battle for this to be possible. And it'd help reduce my constant fear of the AI wasting all its ammo.

Side note: Is body armor modeled?

So having even a basic knowledge of MBT's will let you know that the loader only has acsess to a small number of rounds readily avaliable for the main gun.

And after watching some of Chris's streams it frightens me to see AI gunners wasting these valuable rounds on single infantry.

Is there any feature for a tank to pull back and have the crew restock ammo from the magazine? I don't think its out of the scope of a single battle for this to be possible. And it'd help reduce my constant fear of the AI wasting all its ammo.

Side note: Is body armor modeled?

Body armor is indeed modeled, restocking ammunition is not modeled, just take the "reloading" or down time in battle as the crew restocking if they need to.

Ready rack: once the ready ammo is used, there is a delay to access the stowed ammo.

Does it work that way? I recall from CMSF that stowed ammo was transferred to ready racks between missions in a campaign (if the unit was not otherwise restocked) but I could very well be mistaken.

I thought most western tanks have ammo in hull storage. It's always been a big deal in sims like steel beasts, since for the M1A2 for example, about half your ammo is in hull storage. You get 18 ready and then you have to find a safe spot to turn the turret to the side to transfer to the ready rack. If I recall correctly the leopard had about 15 ready and a little over 20 in the hull. I don't remember anything like that in CMSF, but I could be mistaken. 

The storage plan on an M1A2 is something like:

18 Ready rack (left side turret)

18 semi-ready rack (right side turret)

6 in hull storage  

Cross loading from semi-ready to ready rack takes a little doing, as you have to switch which part of the armored doors are in operation, and then pass rounds from behind the commander to the loader, then set the doors back to normal operation.  It's not brain surgery, or especially hard, and is the sort of thing you'd do on a short halt or potentially during a lull in the action (as it's easier to move 3-4 rounds to make up for the last engagement, than 18 rounds to refill the rack later).

If it was going to be included, seems like the sort of thing that could either be a button, or just abstracted that after some time stationary and out of contact the semi-ready rounds migrate to the ready rack.  That said I can't think of too many realistic engagements that involve a tank burning through 18 rounds without some sort of pause.  

^^^

Thanks. The first 36 M1A2 rounds can be used without delay. As noted, there is always some dead time between engagements to simulate the cross loading from one bustle rack to the other. Assume multiple rounds of each type would be in each bustle rack.

The 6 hull storage rounds are the ones which take a bit of time to get to.

Remember, most-everything in the game has a carousel autoloader and no dedicated loader crewmember at all. Now that I think of it, Abrams may be the only vehicle in the game without. Excepting mortar carriers.   ;)

Yeah, but I imagine we've got Leo 2s and Challengers on the horizon (possibly distant horizon, but still).