If you could change one thing

I would like the ability to place user assigned "text points", similar to vehicle/troop identifiers, that are clickable to reveal text.  In addition, I would like to be able to have some rudimentary ability to draw lines etc...  As I frequently play a few turns and then put the game down, this would help me pick up where I last left the game - troop assignments, intermittent sound contacts, immenent artillery strike, enemy spotting rounds, etc.

I would ditch the camera movement controls whenever the mouse pointer is near the edge of the screen.

It sure would be nice to have an off toggle for that. I love using the mouse buttons and drag for my camera control, but very frequently catch the screen edge with the pointer and get catapulted into oblivion.

Usually, just as I've framed things for the perfect screenshot...

Improving the infantry animations is now at the top of my CM Wish List.

I think it's time. They clash with the better quality of the models and textures and the smoothness of the vehicle animations.

Okay yeah this is maybe not quite first thing on my list, but probably right after the first thing.

It sure would be nice to have an off toggle for that. I love using the mouse buttons and drag for my camera control, but very frequently catch the screen edge with the pointer and get catapulted into oblivion.

Usually, just as I've framed things for the perfect screenshot...

Hmmm, I thought ian.leslie was talking about when your camera is as far back from the map as it can go and you bump the side of the screen with the mouse to move sideways a fraction, but because you're slightly angled, moving "sideways" would also mean moving a bit more back, so it kinda "jams" there.

But then you said "catapulted into oblivion" and I realised that perhaps you're talking about something else ?

Hmmm, thinking about it, the one thing I'd change is have at least 2 more settings of preset points in QB's - smaller than Tiny and greater than Huge.

And/or "set your own points".

Having played a couple of 12000 point battles, they're hugely enjoyable, but quite a pain* to get set up.

* as in time-consuming ( also require a level of trust between participants )

Edited by Baneman

But then you said "catapulted into oblivion" and I realised that perhaps you're talking about something else ?

Yep, it is the catapulted into oblivion that I truly hate. Not a single day goes by that I don't manage to trigger it. And it really pisses me off so I try hard not to trigger it. But alas I suck and I still manage to trip it. I also *never* actually control the camera that way never, never, never. Sorry I'm ranting now I'll stop. :(

Edited by ian.leslie

Yep, it is the catapulted into oblivion that I truly hate. Not a single day goes by that I don't manage to trigger it. And it really pisses me off so I try hard not to trigger it. But alas I suck and I still manage to trip it. I also *never* actually control the camera that way never, never, never. Sorry I'm ranting now I'll stop. :(

Right - so what is the arcane process to trigger this ( something I've obviously never managed :huh: since I don't actually know how to be catapulted into oblivion ) ?

I daresay there's a poster or two who wishes I was :lol:

LOL.  Just move the mouse pointer close to the edge of the screen.  The result will be a rapid camera movement in that direction.

Ian and I are talking about the same thing.

It often happens to me when I am trying to access the Menus button. I get a little south of the button with my pointer and it throws my map view off. It also seems to happen a lot when I am Alt-Tabing between CM and other programs (like when I am doing screenshots). When I return to CM from the other program(s), I get catapulted because my pointer triggers it as it moves from the Windows taskbar to the CM UI.

Edited by Macisle

It often happens to me when I am trying to access the Menus button. I get a little south of the button with my pointer and it throws my map view off.

Ah, the screen movement thing where the mouse at the screen edge pushes the view that way ( if in bottom 2/3, or swings it if in top 1/3 ) or at bottom, causes the screen view to move backward and at top, moves you forward.

Hmm, I use that all the time ... to move my view. A method I first encountered in Total War, I think. I remember being glad it was in CMx1, because I was already used to it, lol ( although the swivel / slide split in CMx1 is reversed - top 2/3 swivels, bottom 1/3 slides ).

Weird, I never thought of that as a bug or even irritation. Can we ask for a toggle then ? I'd be sorry to lose it :lol: ( there's always one :rolleyes: )

Granted I do a lot of my camera moving with the held mouse buttons, but there's many a time I just "give the screen a tap" to move it.

I thought you were talking about something where you view shoots halfway across the map or way off it, not just "moves" :lol:

I take it the alternative camera views don't affect this ? ( I've never tried them )

I would add dynamic weather.  These week we had snow squalls bring us a good shot of snow and over the course of an hour, the view out my window went from a couple of km to a few meters, and back again several times.  While it might be frustrating to have the perfect line of sight blocked for a while by the blowing snow it would add a level of realism currently missing in game.

Edited by Heirloom_Tomato

I would add dynamic weather.  These week we had snow squalls bring us a good shot of snow and over the course of an hour, the view out my window went from a couple of km to a few meters, and back again several times.  While it might be frustrating to have the perfect line of sight blocked for a while by the blowing snow it would add a level of realism currently missing in game.

+1 to this.

Top of my own wish list for features for the game engine itself would have to be persistent battle damage carrying over between campaign missions, or like CMx1 days being able to import the state of a map from a save file. Fight over a map where the roads and buildings is more and more progressively being turned to rubble/craters.

That or a tool in the editor to 'broad brush' maps to turn them into rubble/ruins. Save a lot of time for map makers making ruined maps.

Steve likes it too, so it is unlikely to go away :-)

The other camera controls all still have it.

I truly hope for a toggle one day.

Since posting, I realized I actually use the screen edges quite a lot and not having the feature at all would hamper my control style. The toggle would mainly be nice for when I'm taking screen shots, since it's so easy to throw off the framing if you brush the pointer against the screen edges.