If you could change one thing

The camera to be able to zoom down, exactly to the infantary, standing up, crouched, and prone. To put the camera exactly where their eyes are at. Also put the camera to the windows, while scrolling up or down would just raise and lower one level of building. Also camera zoomed down to the eyes of the buttoned up tank commander and the eye of the turret. That would be extremely useful. Because guessing is a 50% chance of getting it right.

not quite, though most times you can get near.

Part of the appeal to me about CM is I can't control everything.  I really am more of a commander issuing orders and hoping my men will follow them rather than me being every guy.

If I could change one thing it would be to allow a save file to be opened in the editor and saved as a new scenario.

not quite, though most times you can get near.

Part of the appeal to me about CM is I can't control everything.  I really am more of a commander issuing orders and hoping my men will follow them rather than me being every guy.

If I could change one thing it would be to allow a save file to be opened in the editor and saved as a new scenario.

i know exactly what you mean. You like the idea of it being a game and it being a challenge, and using your head and your skill to overcome those challenges. And the idea of challenge paired with risk when playing a game is fun, it's what makes this game a game. But you can say that about anything. The idea of a challenge and risk is fun, but the camera controls need to be fixed, the game will feel like a brand new game after an update, I'd say, 60% as good as developing a new title, because it's almost the same game each time, but camera controls would make this game really smooth and would be appealing. It would make this game better.

Actually that thing of taking the camera to the eyes of the "Commander" of a given unit would be quite useful for WW2 titles. I do that all the time (as ChrisND does in his WW2 videos).

For these near future titles, unless we get a "thermal" rendering of the simulated battlescape, is less useful.

The ability to call up Battlefront and make irrational demands, and the power to dictate game settings.  Also being hired as a highly paid consultant.

You'd be excellent as a highly paid consultant: asked to come up with one solution, you suggest three things we already know ... :P

Change 1 thing ?

I would have stealthsilent1 tied to a chair and forced to play CMBN/RT/FI for 8 hours straight without forum access ... :P  :lol:

( just kidding, questions are good :) )

:) no you have a point, my ideas are detached from reality and I'm living in an illusion. But also its good to ask questions, both are true.

guess

If I am guessing correctly you haven't played a CM game before, if this true why are you so argumentative to all the experienced people who have played CM for 100's of hours answering your questions, and telling you about game mechanics you haven't even experienced yourself?

There are demos for shock force, Normandy, Red Thunder, and Italy, they are all free go out and try them. :)

If I am guessing correctly you haven't played a CM game before, if this true why are you so argumentative to all the experienced people who have played CM for 100's of hours answering your questions, and telling you about game mechanics you haven't even experienced yourself?

There are demos for shock force, Normandy, Red Thunder, and Italy, they are all free go out and try them. :)

no I played it before, over the summer, but I wasn't that good, but I think I'm better now. You know I'm just waiting until bs

In more than ten years playing with CM software there is only one thing which upsets me, I find the birds singing in the background noise really out of reality.

Where I live, if a hunter shot a gun there is no more bird song for awhile... there is just silly that gun and bird songs are together !

Edited by Desertor

In more than ten years playing with CM software there is only one thing which upsets me, I find the birds singing in the background noise really out of reality.

Where I live, if a hunter shot a gun there is no more bird song for awhile... there is just silly that gun and bird songs are together !

maybe the birds run away because they are afraid of getting killed, and during ww2 no one was shooting birds so they weren't afraid. Or maybe it's a rhetorical device which adds a sense of peace to war, which is ironic, which just makes the war aspect disgusting.

Interestingly, I've just finished reading Ernst Junger's book, Storm of Steel ( WW1 German soldier's memoir of the war 1914 - 1918 ).

I can't find the exact page, but in one section he describes being absolutely amazed that the birds were singing and carrying on as normal despite artillery going mental all around his position.

For sure, initially any bang is going to scare them off/shut them up, but perhaps when it goes on day after day, they just got used to it :o

I'll see if I can find the description.

Edit: Here you go - this is early in the book, in the chapter "Les Eparges" ( sometime mid-1915 )

"Towards noon, the artillery fire had increased to a kind of savage pounding dance. The flames lit around us incessantly. ...

The odd thing was that the little birds in the forest seemed quite untroubled by the myriad noise; they sat peaceably over the smoke in their battered boughs. In the short intervals of firing, we could hear them singing happily or ardently to one another, if anything even inspired or encouraged by the dreadful noise on all sides."

- Storm of Steel - Ernst Junger © 1920, 1961 J.G. Cotta'sche Buchhandlung Nachfolger GmbH, Stuttgart, 2004 Penguin Books.

Edited by Baneman

Interestingly, I've just finished reading Ernst Junger's book, Storm of Steel ( WW1 German soldier's memoir of the war 1914 - 1918 ).

I can't find the exact page, but in one section he describes being absolutely amazed that the birds were singing and carrying on as normal despite artillery going mental all around his position.

For sure, initially any bang is going to scare them off/shut them up, but perhaps when it goes on day after day, they just got used to it :o

I'll see if I can find the description.

Edit: Here you go - this is early in the book, in the chapter "Les Eparges" ( sometime mid-1915 )

"Towards noon, the artillery fire had increased to a kind of savage pounding dance. The flames lit around us incessantly. ...

The odd thing was that the little birds in the forest seemed quite untroubled by the myriad noise; they sat peaceably over the smoke in their battered boughs. In the short intervals of firing, we could hear them singing happily or ardently to one another, if anything even inspired or encouraged by the dreadful noise on all sides."

- Storm of Steel - Ernst Junger © 1920, 1961 J.G. Cotta'sche Buchhandlung Nachfolger GmbH, Stuttgart, 2004 Penguin Books.

jesus christ that's sick, I would hate to be in a war.

Wildlife get used to ambient sound changes in the environment.  When I was in the military as an artillery officer, at the time when I was a forward observer, I would have to make allowances while adjusting artillery fire to avoid the herds of elk and deer on the firing ranges.  They ignored nearby exploding artillery rounds and on two occasions, I had to put the guns at check firing because a herd of elk walked up onto the hill that I was adjusting artillery fire on.