• 49-52
    • 53-56
    • 57-60
    • 61-64
    • 65-68
    • 69-72
    • 73-76
    • 77+
  2. 2. What is your motive for playing this (or any other) combat mission?

• Desire to learn strategy and/or tactics.
    • Love of strategy and/or tactics.
    • Love of military history.
    • Desire to learn military history.
    • Like to think.
    • Wanna see things go boom.
    • Professional
    • Love of wargames

Thats interesting, I wonder who plays Combat Mission for "professional" purposes.

That's a good point  :D , are there any professionals who use combat mission to practice scenarios or what not. I had a discussion a bit ago with the president of the Dupuy institute (the think tank that makes hyper accurate military predictions) and that made me wonder if the pro's use programs like these to validate their claims.

Thats interesting, I wonder who plays Combat Mission for "professional" purposes.

That'd have been me if the game came out 12 months ago.  It's interesting to me that CMSF came out within weeks of my commissioning, and I played it religiously all the way through Armor school and my first deployment (of course, by the time I got to Iraq, reading Catch 22 would have been better preparation for deployment).  I'm now in the process of separating having finally got to play with tanks for reals.  I'm excited to have something to let me futz around with M1A2 SEP v2s as that was my last ride, but I can't claim any more interest now except for my love of wargames, and "for old times sake" if you will. 

Now if only there was a way to customize the names on gun tubes......

jamo552,

Until it doesn't. Trevor Dupuy had an outright disastrous prediction regarding GW I. It pretty much wasn't in even the same universe as the outcome, which saw minuscule US direct casualties (not DU poisoning and such), when the QJM predicted a horrific attrition based meat grinder. This meat grinder model was based on what happened in the many years of combat between Iraq and Iran, but it utterly failed to address a whole series of factors not in play there, not the least of which was overwhelming Coalition airpower. While its effectiveness was greatly overstated when it came to killing armor, it was really good at isolating the battlefield, tearing up logistics columns and facilities and preventing resupply. Read the accounts. Deluges of aerial ordnance (B-52 carpet bombing, for one), coupled with little food or water, not to mention officers abandoning their men. And when the vaunted Iraqi artillery, still functioning despite concentrated efforts to remove it, did open fire, back came what the Iraqis called "steel rain": 616 DPICM submunitions per MLRS rocket. A single SPLL could effectively cover an entire 1 x 1 km grid square. How'd you like to be in an open gun position with that pouring down?

Regards,

John Kettler

jamo552,

Until it doesn't. Trevor Dupuy had an outright disastrous prediction regarding GW I. It pretty much wasn't in even the same universe as the outcome, which saw minuscule US direct casualties (not DU poisoning and such), when the QJM predicted a horrific attrition based meat grinder. This meat grinder model was based on what happened in the many years of combat between Iraq and Iran, but it utterly failed to address a whole series of factors not in play there, not the least of which was overwhelming Coalition airpower. While its effectiveness was greatly overstated when it came to killing armor, it was really good at isolating the battlefield, tearing up logistics columns and facilities and preventing resupply. Read the accounts. Deluges of aerial ordnance (B-52 carpet bombing, for one), coupled with little food or water, not to mention officers abandoning their men. And when the vaunted Iraqi artillery, still functioning despite concentrated efforts to remove it, did open fire, back came what the Iraqis called "steel rain": 616 DPICM submunitions per MLRS rocket. A single SPLL could effectively cover an entire 1 x 1 km grid square. How'd you like to be in an open gun position with that pouring down?

Regards,

John Kettler

With an analysis that detailed, I can either assume you are a big time arm chair analyst, former/current military, an analyst for another institute.

By any chance could any of those describe you, because I've spoken to a few professionals, and that was on key?

Speaking of professionals, does anyone know anyone here who either teaches/studied at the army/navy/air force war college? (And has an "unclassified job")?

ScoutPL and Bil, at least at some point in the past five years.

And let me say that JK is right re the QJDM. If you try to use the model yourself, you'll appreciate there's several quite "magic numbers" in the model, like "Surprise" or the "Comparative Effectiveness Value". Or more technically, plenty of opportunities for overfitting. It always works best when "fitting" the past, tweaking the many knobs on it, than predicting the unseen by deriving plausible outcomes by working on first principles. A bit like the Ptolemaic model of the orbits of the solar system, compared with Newton's. The former works very well on our Solar System but is useless when trying to account for Alpha Centauri.

I do find personally that it doesn't account at all for what Robert S. Leonhard refer to as "maneuver warfare", and is very biased towards "attrition warfare". Which is understandable, as Dupuy models were basically invented in the 1960s, a time US doctrinal thinking was obsessed with firepower alone.

Edited by BletchleyGeek

We ran one of these back in the hay days of CM:BO and the median and average age was late 30's. I ran it (no polling features back then!) and we had quite a few responses. They were very, very few teenagers back then - I think one under 20. Lots of late 20's, lots of 30's, lots of 40's and then down the hill from there - no pun intended. Even with the limited responses, looks like things have changed as far as the crowd.

... feels like any opinion given by anyone with less than 300 posts and 40 years of age is seen as irrelevant....

I kinda disagree ( wait, does that make your post a self-fulfilling prophecy ? :lol:   ;) ). I'd say the community as whole tends not to suffer fools easily, but there are plenty of posters in your category who make either well-informed posts or posts which lead to all of us becoming better-informed ( ie. good questions ).

...feels like any opinion given by anyone with less than 300 posts and 40 years of age is seen as irrelevant...

Not really true. Some people have come onto the forum and been instant stars. Their posts are recognizably well-informed and valued as such. Lots of people come on who are not yet well-informed but exhibit an open minded attitude of eagerness to learn. They too are valued as they are the future of the forum. Of the people who meet with disdain, usually the cause is their snarky know-it-all attitude that makes them instantly unpopular. Then there are those who know not and know not that they know not. Those are usually taken by the hand by someone making an attempt to lead them toward the light. How matters progress from there pretty much depends on the personalities involved.

I would say not to be afraid to venture an opinion, but do some research and make damn sure of your facts. And don't get sore if you get shot down by somebody who knows more than you. Believe me, it has happened to me too and my 20,000+ posts are no proof against it.

;)

Michael