Black Sea manual: get it here while it's hot!

ChrisND

Thanks for sharing.

I like the formation encyclopedia a lot, thanks.

The formation encyclopedia is AWESOME! This will be of great help in Quick Battles. Does the manual have a glossary for all the initial ism and acronyms? It would be nice to know (but not necessary) what they mean.

Does the manual have a glossary for all the initial ism and acronyms? It would be nice to know (but not necessary) what they mean.

No sorry. I was running into major space and time limitations, didn't get the chance to add a glossary. Another word for glossary is Google. :D

So are they using m2hb's or m2a1's, it's not clear. And on the vehicle defences screen, does the small bullet icon include .50 cal guns?

In CMBS the M2A1 has replaced the M2HB across the board. At least for deploying units, which are the only units that we are concerned with.

Thanks for posting the manual. Had a read through of the backstory and up front disclaimer about the game vs real world events. Fingers crossed you guys don't pulled up regarding the content of the game by some alarmist media out for a story at all costs.

As for the backstory, didn't expect the two diverging pathways/outcomes based on a Russian or NATO victory. It will be interesting to see how you guys develop this fictional conflict for future modules etc. Speaking about modules, with the talk about Marines landing around Odessa... safe to assume that's on the cards as a future focus area? ;)

Edited by Ithikial_AU

Noticed in the tutorial of the manual, that you are supposed to send observers to the observation post. You are to give them full circle cover arc to prevent them from firing and revealing themselves to the enemy. I find this very odd practice for observation teams: unit have better spotting ability to their front so I always give them a non-full directional cover arc to get them looking in the right direction, whereas with a full circle cover arc they might end up looking weird direction, unlike vehicles where the line from the last waypoint pretty much guarantee facing. I know it is a tutorial so the reason might be not to overburden new players, but on the odd case it is not; am I missing something?

Edited by Muzzleflash1990

Thanks for posting the manual. Had a read through of the backstory and up front disclaimer about the game vs real world events. Fingers crossed you guys don't pulled up regarding the content of the game by some alarmist media out for a story at all costs.

As for the backstory, didn't expect the two diverging pathways/outcomes based on a Russian or NATO victory. It will be interesting to see how you guys develop this fictional conflict for future modules etc. Speaking about modules, with the talk about Marines landing around Odessa... safe to assume that's on the cards as a future focus area? ;)

Where the USMC will do a full blown expeditionary landing at Odessa, the Russian advance arrows in the picture indicate skipping along the coast.

The VMF utilise their naval infantry as a flanking force to launch hooks around resistance in the litorral areas. Which would be condusive to the arrows on the map :P 

Noticed in the tutorial of the manual, that you are supposed to send observers to the observation post. You are to give them full circle cover arc to prevent them from firing and revealing themselves to the enemy. I find this very odd practice for observation teams: unit have better spotting ability to their front so I always give them a non-full directional cover arc to get them looking in the right direction, whereas with a full circle cover arc they might end up looking weird direction, unlike vehicles where the line from the last waypoint pretty much guarantee facing. I know it is a tutorial so the reason might be not to overburden new players, but on the odd case it is not; am I missing something?

I have no direct comment on the tutorial but in the currently released games I regularly give my FOs or scouts a circular covered arc and most of the time the face the way I expect. Those few times they don't I will give them a short wedge arch to get them facing the right way and then the next turn I'll give them a circular arc again. I find two things:

The circular covered arc is important for self-defense. I just hate seeing my guys get chewed up without responding when they get flanked.

The vast majority of the time when the FO or scout unit arrives a its end point it is facing the way they were moving last - including in buildings. So I only rarely need to switch to a wedge arc.

Oh God you have no idea how many pennies I've been saving for this game... since you posted this on the 4th please pleaaaaaaaaase let this come out tomorrow. I'm like a crack fiend waiting for this

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/117138-update-on-black-sea-release/page-4#entry1569455

cf. Post #63

A bit longer on cold turkey I'm afraid.

Hi, 

first of all thanks for the manual. It makes the waiting a little bit easier. 
While reading the manual some question came up, I couldn't answer myself. 

Maybe some of you can help me out. :)

1. Is there a difference between the spotting capabilities, concerning the different UAV models? 
The bigger the better? 

Area X, 4 enemy tanks
Area observation mission

Will I get different results calling in
- RQ-11B Raven
- RQ-7B Shadow
- MQ-1C Gray Eagle

2. Did I get this right, MQ-1C Gray Eagle can't be damaged / shot down if it is performing an observation mission? 

3. Is the game simulationg endurance of UAVs? 
I.e. RQ-11B Raven is stated with approx. 60-90 min (wikipedia)
What happens if the scenario lasts for 120 minutes? 

4. apdu is listed as ammunition type for some AH-64 Apache models. I couldn't find an explaination for this type of ammunition. 

5. Will the after action statistics show shotdown aircrafts (general statisatics / individual statistics)? 
   Will the after action statistics show individual statistics for artillery. 

Maybe: 

- Helicopter X -> 2 tanks / 3 vehicles

- Spotter Y -> 2 tanks / 3 vehicles / 7 infantry [who called it in gets the score, what was called in doesn't matter]

- Spotter Y -> 2 tanks / 3 vehicles (Helicopter X)
                    -> 7 infantry                 (Artillery asset Z)

6. The manual describes MQ-1C Gray Eagle as capable to perform observation as well as attacks. Is there a possibility to change the type of mission instantly? 

A MQ-1C Gray Eagle has an area oberservation task. It spots a tank. I want to attack the tank with this MQ-1C. How does it work? Does it work at all? 

7. Is the US military not equipped with AA vehicles? 

8. Manual: "[...] capability to interface with and control UAVs such as RQ-7B Shadow or MQ-1C Gray Eagles [...] With this system the UAV and attack helicopter can act as a pair, with the UAV searching for targets for the Apache to attack. Even if the flight crew does not directly control the UAV, they can receive imagery from its camera payload and use its laser designator to mark targets for the Apache's weaponry." (p. 95)

How does it work ingame? 
Area X, RQ-7B Shadow
Area observation mission
tank spotted

Now I want to attack it with my AH-64, using the RQ-7B Shadow laser designator, to keep the helicopter out of harm's way. How can I do it? :)

9. What happens to a vehicle if it gets hit and destroyed while crossing water? Will it sink / float?  

10. Is a difference simulated, how versions of an aircraft actually perform on the battlefield? I.e. Su-24M Fencer D vs. Su-24M2 Fencer D

Hi, 

first of all thanks for the manual. It makes the waiting a little bit easier. 
While reading the manual some question came up, I couldn't answer myself. 

Maybe some of you can help me out. :)

1. Is there a difference between the spotting capabilities, concerning the different UAV models? 
The bigger the better? 

Area X, 4 enemy tanks
Area observation mission

Will I get different results calling in
- RQ-11B Raven
- RQ-7B Shadow
- MQ-1C Gray Eagle

2. Did I get this right, MQ-1C Gray Eagle can't be damaged / shot down if it is performing an observation mission? 

3. Is the game simulationg endurance of UAVs? 
I.e. RQ-11B Raven is stated with approx. 60-90 min (wikipedia)
What happens if the scenario lasts for 120 minutes? 

4. apdu is listed as ammunition type for some AH-64 Apache models. I couldn't find an explaination for this type of ammunition. 

5. Will the after action statistics show shotdown aircrafts (general statisatics / individual statistics)? 
   Will the after action statistics show individual statistics for artillery. 

Maybe: 

- Helicopter X -> 2 tanks / 3 vehicles

- Spotter Y -> 2 tanks / 3 vehicles / 7 infantry [who called it in gets the score, what was called in doesn't matter]

- Spotter Y -> 2 tanks / 3 vehicles (Helicopter X)
                    -> 7 infantry                 (Artillery asset Z)

6. The manual describes MQ-1C Gray Eagle as capable to perform observation as well as attacks. Is there a possibility to change the type of mission instantly? 

A MQ-1C Gray Eagle has an area oberservation task. It spots a tank. I want to attack the tank with this MQ-1C. How does it work? Does it work at all? 

7. Is the US military not equipped with AA vehicles? 

8. Manual: "[...] capability to interface with and control UAVs such as RQ-7B Shadow or MQ-1C Gray Eagles [...] With this system the UAV and attack helicopter can act as a pair, with the UAV searching for targets for the Apache to attack. Even if the flight crew does not directly control the UAV, they can receive imagery from its camera payload and use its laser designator to mark targets for the Apache's weaponry." (p. 95)

How does it work ingame? 
Area X, RQ-7B Shadow
Area observation mission
tank spotted

Now I want to attack it with my AH-64, using the RQ-7B Shadow laser designator, to keep the helicopter out of harm's way. How can I do it? :)

9. What happens to a vehicle if it gets hit and destroyed while crossing water? Will it sink / float?  

10. Is a difference simulated, how versions of an aircraft actually perform on the battlefield? I.e. Su-24M Fencer D vs. Su-24M2 Fencer D

Hi, I will answer what I can and I am sure Chris will be on eventually and flesh it out a bit more!

3. UAV endurance: No UAV's will not become inactive after a certain time (Unless there blown up of course), even UAV's like the raven, it is abstracted to show that its batteries have been changed or whatever it needs to keep flying.

4. APDU ammo for Apache: AKD reported that as a bug.

5. Unless the artillery unit is on map, than no other support kill tallies will not be shown (ETC, aircraft/helicopters/off-map artillery).

6. UAV Missions can be changed on the fly, yes. (See what I did there?)

7. The U.S. does not have an dedicated anti air vehicle in-game no, it does have "Stinger" hand held anti aircraft missile launchers however.

9. That is a great question!

Hope this helps, and I am sure people will point out if I am horribly wrong about anything I just answered.

Edited by Raptorx7

Good catch.  Apache uses HEDP only.  Probably a mix-up with A-10 ammo.  Reported.

Edited by akd

If a swimming vehicle is destroyed, it will sink to the bottom. if it isn't in a Deep or Shallow Ford tile, all passengers and crew will be considered KIA or MIA.

Only micro UAVs (hand-launched Raven and ZALA) have an endurance limit that is within the scope of Combat Mission, and even then only for a portion of Combat Mission scenarios. However, they can go back into the air quickly with a battery swap. On top of that, in practice it's very rare for UAVs to actually stay on station on a single Observe mission for the entire duration of the battery life. So we didn't bother with simulating that. Effectively UAVs on Observe missions stay in the air until told otherwise, destroyed, or the observer who called the Observe mission is incapacitated.

Different aircraft models will perform differently on the battlefield, although the differences will not always be obvious from the ground perspective.