Plans for Special Forces in Future Releases

It would be fun to have special forces in the game for their unique units and maybe a few unique new weapons. It would also probably be necessary to allow a little more flexibility with splitting small teams, like splitting a 4-man team into two 2-man fire teams. Other than that we already have everything we need, including 'elite' experience and 'fanatic' motivation, which together basically make a unit a fearless, sharpshooting squad of terminator robots.

But isn't the Ranger, and Spetsnaz forces the ones that are likely to be used this way? It seems like you will likely have what you want really if Chris does what he talked about above. Or are you looking for nifty uniform and kit choices?

Now that would be cool. Not sure how easy it would be to implement but even if there were several top level formations each of which have some interesting variation of platoon structure. That still sounds like a lot of work for the TOE guys (aka Chris and or Steve) but making the force selector support more customization might be even more work. I have no real idea. It would be kind of cool.

Ick - rarity set to none :)

Not a uniform grog so my interest is purely functional and immersion through diversity.

You know I was thinking and realised that a significant slice of what I'm saying is based on British battles in Afghanistan having SAS in support during major pr-planned battle ops. The I joined up  the dots and note that the British experiences have lead to them forming the Special Forces Support Group, which in essence is similar to 75th Rangers. The SFSG roles include:

"

• Acting as a quick reaction force for SAS/SBS operations
  • Sealing off and guarding an area of operation
  • Taking part in large scale offensive operations alongside SAS/SBS forces
  • Carrying out secondary assaults and diversionary raids
  • Acting as a 'blocking force' against counter attacks."

So... I am adjusting my position with this new info, and thinking Ranger type units aught to cover it.

I maintain thought that in the unit selection, a wide range of squad, platoon sizes and ToE would be best to reflect their flexibility.

I have this vision of an epic campaign wherein a platoon minus of SAS recon units are stuck behind enemy lines trying to survive and make their way back to friendlies while an armored friendly push into the area to rescue them is conducted. Switching between a micro "escape" style mission using sneaky tactics and generally trying to stay alive and onto a grand mass assault into enemy front lines and back would be very cool.