• Announcements

• Battlefront.com

Special Upgrade 4 Tech Tips   12/27/2016

Hi all! Now that Upgrade 4 is out and about in large quantities we have now discovered a few SNAFUs that happen out in the scary, real world that is home computing.  Fortunately the rate of problems is extremely small and so far most are easily worked around.  We've identified a few issues that have similar causes which we have clear instructions for work arounds here they are: 1.  CMRT Windows customers need to re-license their original key.  This is a result of improvements to the licensing system which CMBN, CMBS, and CMFB are already using.  To do this launch CMRT with the Upgrade and the first time enter your Engine 4 key.  Exit and then use the "Activate New Products" shortcut in your CMRT folder, then enter your Engine 3 license key.  That should do the trick. 2.  CMRT and CMBN MacOS customers have a similar situation as #2, however the "Activate New Products" is inside the Documents folder in their respective CM folders.  For CMBN you have to go through the process described above for each of your license keys.  There is no special order to follow. 3.  For CMBS and CMFB customers, you need to use the Activate New Products shortcut and enter your Upgrade 4 key.  If you launch the game and see a screen that says "LICENSE FAILURE: Base Game 4.0 is required." that is an indication you haven't yet gone through that procedure.  Provided you had a properly functioning copy before installing the Upgrade, that should be all you need to do.  If in the future you have to install from scratch on a new system you'll need to do the same procedure for both your original license key and your Upgrade 4.0 key. 4.  There's always a weird one and here it is.  A few Windows users are not getting "Activate New Products" shortcuts created during installation.  Apparently anti-virus software is preventing the installer from doing its job.  This might not be a problem right now, but it will prove to be an issue at some point in the future.  The solution is to create your own shortcut using the following steps: Disable your anti-virus software before you do anything. Go to your Desktop, right click on the Desktop itself, select NEW->SHORTCUT, use BROWSE to locate the CM EXE that you are trying to fix. The location is then written out. After it type in a single space and then paste this:

-showui

Click NEXT and give your new Shortcut a name (doesn't matter what). Confirm that and you're done. Double click on the new Shortcut and you should be prompted to license whatever it is you need to license. At this time we have not identified any issues that have not been worked around.  Let's hope it stays that way Steve
    • Battlefront.com

Forum Reorganization   10/12/2017

We've reorganized our Combat Mission Forums to reflect the fact that most of you are now running Engine 4 and that means you're all using the same basic code.  Because of that, there's no good reason to have the discussion about Combat Mission spread out over 5 separate sets of Forums.  There is now one General Discussion area with Tech Support and Scenario/Mod Tips sub forums.  The Family specific Tech Support Forums have been moved to a new CM2 Archives area and frozen in place. You might also notice we dropped the "x" from distinguishing between the first generation of CM games and the second.  The "x" was reluctantly adopted back in 2005 or so because at the time we had the original three CM games on European store shelves entitled CM1, CM2, and CM3 (CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK).  We didn't want to cause confusion so we added the "x".  Time has moved on and we have to, so the "x" is now gone from our public vocabulary as it has been from our private vocabulary for quite a while already.  Side note, Charles *NEVER* used the "x" so now we're all speaking the same language as him.  Which is important since he is the one programming them
easytarget

Updating from 2.12 to 3.0

Ok, pulled trigger on 3.0 to update Normandy for 10 bones, well and good.  Start download expecting something, I don't know under gig maybe, i mean no matter how large this one I never expected it to be 9.9GB, yet when the download started that's what I'm seeing, is this right?

My entire current Normandy directory is only 15GB?!

Yes, it is right. What you are downloading is the entire Normandy family. It replaces your existing installation completely. Once you have this, you have the entire Normandy game up to date (v3.11) including all content. You can then unlock the content that you purchased (modules) with the keys you have.

An official announcement about this is coming shortly.

Martin

Ok, thanks for the quick response, was just checking I hadn't purchased the wrong thing or something.

I was just trying to catch up my Normandy install (w/ CW and MG) to whatever was current.  So I bought the 3.0 upgrade assuming it wouldn't be this large and then i was going to patch up to 3.11 (and leave getting vehicles for another time, which I guess I'll definitely postpone for the moment given how large this install is).

Hum, are my keys listed on the battlefront site (I hope)?  I'm sure I can probably find the emails archived, but just in case thought I'd ask.

Yeah, you don't need to patch. What you need to do after downloading is pretty much follow the instructions for the 3.11 patch to get your game relicensed. Your keys are saved in your online account at www.battlefront.com/store. After logging in, click on My Account.

If you forgot your login, go to www.battlefront.com/lostpw.

More details about this and the 3.11 patch / VPack relicensing instructions are on our battlefront.mojohelpdesk.com.

Ok, thanks to you both for the quick replies. I'll leave the download to do its thing, It appears to be a large zipped file, so I take it this is like a full install again that takes the game up to current 3.0 basically?  Which I then follow the Vpack instructions (only not for Vpack yet in my case since I've not purchased that yet) to activate the MG and CW modules (once of course I've activated Normandy itself first).

Hopefully I've got that straight, and hopefully this zip file is an exe installer that just does it's thing, I'm hoping i don't have to remove the current 2.12 install of Normandy to make this work properly.  Please of course let me know if that is in fact the case.

Thanks!

No, you don't need to remove anything. This will install smoothly over what you got.

The Vpack instructions are what you need, yes: http://battlefront.mojohelpdesk.com/help/article/132344(or the 3.11 patch instructions).

You won't need to download anything else (i.e. no need to download the Vpack or patch).

The announcement just went live, too: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/117168-new-cmbn-master-installers/

It was perfect. :) Although, as for 3.0 specifically, it doesn't matter when you bought the Engine Upgrade, to be honest, since everybody's download was changed today, no matter when you purchased it.

It was perfect. :) Although, as for 3.0 specifically, it doesn't matter when you bought the Engine Upgrade, to be honest, since everybody's download was changed today, no matter when you purchased it.

Not sure if I'm confusing things in my head unnecessarily here (wouldn't be the first time!), but ...

Having purchased and installed everything up to and including the VP (at 3.10) and then patched to 3.11 *before* this announcement - and presumably therefore before the changes were made to the files - I have the "old" system, not the "new" one, on my machine?

So is it recommended practice for me to re-download now the new 3.11 patch that has everything in it, then re-activate it all, to get it on the new basis, even though I don't actually need it for anything yet?

Or, if I purchase the next VP (hint!), or patch / content, etc, will THAT automatically be a full bundle of all the files and give me the full download of everything all in one go?

Or ... to save the download traffic and time ... will there be a way of downloading the new installer and copy protection files, etc, ONLY that will recognise the content I already have and integrate into the new system, without me downloading the "content" again?

Make any sense?

Oh and btw, thanks for the new system despite my questions above. A great step forward once it's up and running ... :D

Not sure if I'm confusing things in my head unnecessarily here (wouldn't be the first time!), but ...

Having purchased and installed everything up to and including the VP (at 3.10) and then patched to 3.11 *before* this announcement - and presumably therefore before the changes were made to the files - I have the "old" system, not the "new" one, on my machine?

So is it recommended practice for me to re-download now the new 3.11 patch that has everything in it, then re-activate it all, to get it on the new basis, even though I don't actually need it for anything yet?

Or, if I purchase the next VP (hint!), or patch / content, etc, will THAT automatically be a full bundle of all the files and give me the full download of everything all in one go?

Or ... to save the download traffic and time ... will there be a way of downloading the new installer and copy protection files, etc, ONLY that will recognise the content I already have and integrate into the new system, without me downloading the "content" again?

Make any sense?

Oh and btw, thanks for the new system despite my questions above. A great step forward once it's up and running ... :D

You don't have to do anything, since with the "v3.10 + Vehicle Pack" or "v3.11 Patch", the new activation system was already introduced. So everybody currently at these versions does not have to do anything. This is why people had to re-activate, which already caused the confusion. The new installer is just a convenient way of having EVERYTHING you need in one download, which should be a good thing. So for re-installs, no more missing the v1.11 patch or other stuff. There are NO NEW FILES here, only a bundling together of everything you need for a CMBN + Modules + Packs at "Game Engine 3" standard.

Btw, this new activation scheme has also already been introduced to CMRT with the v1.01 patch (and "hotfixes" v1.02 / v1.03 subsequently).

Moon,

So, finished the download, did the install, went to activate with the key listed on Battlefront website from back when I purchased the game and it says the key is an invalid serial number.

Now what?

Update: Issue was confusion on my part, I thought when the game was asking for the activation key when I launched it again that it was asking for the original key I was issued when I first purchased the game (you might want to clarify that somewhere), it was instead wanting the key I was just issued for the upgrade to the 3.0 engine (even though what you are faced with for a menu is just the request for the Normandy key).

Anyway, I put in the upgrade key and it unlocked properly.  As did the MG and CW modules.

Thanks again for the back and forth on this thread helping me sort it out!

*****P.S.  When I circle back to purchase the vehicle pack, will that just be a matter of buying and activating the key (was sort of hoping the big download I just completed contained all the code now and it's just a matter of unlocking it)

Edited by easytarget

You don't have to do anything, since with the "v3.10 + Vehicle Pack" or "v3.11 Patch", the new activation system was already introduced. So everybody currently at these versions does not have to do anything. This is why people had to re-activate, which already caused the confusion. The new installer is just a convenient way of having EVERYTHING you need in one download, which should be a good thing. So for re-installs, no more missing the v1.11 patch or other stuff. There are NO NEW FILES here, only a bundling together of everything you need for a CMBN + Modules + Packs at "Game Engine 3" standard.

Btw, this new activation scheme has also already been introduced to CMRT with the v1.01 patch (and "hotfixes" v1.02 / v1.03 subsequently).

Well, I said my question was confusing me, so it's no surprise it wasn't clear ... but I got that there are (so far) no new files (as in content). I have a re-activated, working copy of everything up to and including VP and 3.11, so by definition there are no new (content) files. So, I did say I don't need it for anything yet.

But given that the 3.11 patch came out on 18 November and BF are today on 21 December making the announcement about the change, my issue was if anything has changed in the 3.11 file handing - not content - since 3.11 was first published ...

If a new version is introduced, say, in RT, then BN is upgraded to v3.2 ... to cater for anyone buying into BN new at 3.2 I am assuming that ALL downloads of 3.2 at that point will be a "full package" of files to give new buyers all the content, but all previous owners won't need it all ... but WILL (?) have to download the whole thing anyway to get 3.2??

So (sort of the point of my question), is there a way of (something  NOW built into 3.11) existing owners being "let off" doing a full download for "v3.2" to exclude content that we don't need? And, if THAT is something that might have changed between the 3.11 first issue and now, for the new process. (And, consequently, if it were worth downloading a "new" 3.11 now v what I have already, in case it has that more sophisticated file handling process in it, and thus streamlining the process for me at some later point.)

I will admit I am confused about the new installers?  I have two CMBN-CW-MG installations. One of them is patced to V3.11 game engine 3. and the other is just patched to Ver 2.12  Now if I want to upgrade my V.2.12 would I use my old system patches to upgrade it 3.11 game engine 3??  or is there a way I use a new installer??

Thank's for any info.

Regards

Lane

Well, I said my question was confusing me, so it's no surprise it wasn't clear ... but I got that there are (so far) no new files (as in content). I have a re-activated, working copy of everything up to and including VP and 3.11, so by definition there are no new (content) files. So, I did say I don't need it for anything yet.

But given that the 3.11 patch came out on 18 November and BF are today on 21 December making the announcement about the change, my issue was if anything has changed in the 3.11 file handing - not content - since 3.11 was first published ...

If a new version is introduced, say, in RT, then BN is upgraded to v3.2 ... to cater for anyone buying into BN new at 3.2 I am assuming that ALL downloads of 3.2 at that point will be a "full package" of files to give new buyers all the content, but all previous owners won't need it all ... but WILL (?) have to download the whole thing anyway to get 3.2??

So (sort of the point of my question), is there a way of (something  NOW built into 3.11) existing owners being "let off" doing a full download for "v3.2" to exclude content that we don't need? And, if THAT is something that might have changed between the 3.11 first issue and now, for the new process. (And, consequently, if it were worth downloading a "new" 3.11 now v what I have already, in case it has that more sophisticated file handling process in it, and thus streamlining the process for me at some later point.)

Again, not really understanding your confusion, since this is explicitely answered in point 4 of the announcement:

4- future patches or modules or packs not containing a base game purchase will come with smaller installers with more or less just the content you'll need, to avoid excessive downloads. So if you're up to date already except for the latest release, you won't have to re-download the whole master again.

So I spent about 3 hours or more trying to do this... I ordered the Market Garden, 3.0 upgrade and vehicle upgrade.. they gave me one disk with a piece of paper with lengthy instructions.... basically on my 4th hour... went and visited my account and looks like I need to contact them direct because they do not list all the purchases you have made in your account page.  lacking CM Normandy with its license key.. everything else I have of course purchased is there.

I may just end up giving up..  not a computer guru to try and figure out what to extract, to where.  I just wanted to add the Market Garden and 3.0, but it seems this one disk thing they sent out is incredibly complicated for the non Computer people.  Frustrated beyond belief..

Ok, thanks for the quick response, was just checking I hadn't purchased the wrong thing or something.

I was just trying to catch up my Normandy install (w/ CW and MG) to whatever was current.  So I bought the 3.0 upgrade assuming it wouldn't be this large and then i was going to patch up to 3.11 (and leave getting vehicles for another time, which I guess I'll definitely postpone for the moment given how large this install is).

Hum, are my keys listed on the battlefront site (I hope)?  I'm sure I can probably find the emails archived, but just in case thought I'd ask.

They should be, however I went to my account and they only listed my games from 2013, its possible I made a new account and forgot my old one.  I contacted customer service and will have to wait for a response.. Lesson to all.. Copy your key somewhere other then electronically.  Now I am stuck can not play or finish one of the most confusing installations I have ever done.

I knew I was in for a long night when the first part said.. Extract the contents of the zip file to a location on your computer.... then launch..  using Winzip.. it had a list of all the contents to be extracted.. ????????  I guess you have to click all of them as I got an error right off the bat... I was then never prompted to reactivate the game.. ((Now I knew it was going to be a long night)).   I activated all the keys on the back of the disk they gave me... but no key for Normandy base.. that was the end until the calvary arrives.  4 hours and I think I completely did this incorrect, my Normandy file is now full of unzipped and fully zipped files, and all my mods are zipped.  Would it be easier to delete everything?  and re-install everything from scratch by ordering the Market garden module and 3.0 upgrade on seperate disks?

Edited by GhostRider3/3

Well, if you started in the same place I was before the 3.0 upgrade, which was with 2.12 working fine, I'd suggest trying to run the 3.0 exe file to upgrade, then when it asks for the activation used the one provided by the 3.0 upgrade.  That was what confused me, I thought it was asking for the Normandy base game key, it wasn't.  Once I put in the 3.0 upgrade key it worked, and then I just used the deskop shortcut to activate the MG and CW modules.

So, others with more knowledge on the subject can come along and correct me, but my impression is Battlefront has consolidate the code in their new update approach such that once you get on 3.0 you have the code to unlock in what is installed and just need to unlock it with keys.

Hopefully I'm not far off the mark and have not led you astray.

Well, if you started in the same place I was before the 3.0 upgrade, which was with 2.12 working fine, I'd suggest trying to run the 3.0 exe file to upgrade, then when it asks for the activation used the one provided by the 3.0 upgrade.  That was what confused me, I thought it was asking for the Normandy base game key, it wasn't.  Once I put in the 3.0 upgrade key it worked, and then I just used the deskop shortcut to activate the MG and CW modules.

So, others with more knowledge on the subject can come along and correct me, but my impression is Battlefront has consolidate the code in their new update approach such that once you get on 3.0 you have the code to unlock in what is installed and just need to unlock it with keys.

Hopefully I'm not far off the mark and have not led you astray.

That is what I found out the hard way also, I was having problems until I loaded the 3.0 activation number first. After that all the other codes went in fine.

That is what I found out the hard way also, I was having problems until I loaded the 3.0 activation number first. After that all the other codes went in fine.

Ok.. so I have 3.0 or 3.11 on my machine, I loaded it up, and 3 icons are present, Normandy, Market Garden and the Vehicle pack.  I went to input the Commonwealth and it says my Serial number is invalid.  I contacted customer service...  So I guess I just chill and wait then.  Although I will try this again tomorrow, not sure where I went wrong..

Edited by GhostRider3/3

:)  Well here I go Looks like I am on the night shift tonight.  Last night I decided to D/L the new CMBN installer.

Using my CMBN Ver 3.00 upgrade License key I start my  D/L of the 9.9GB  file.  Start at 1.00 am  done at 3.35 AM. during that time I was watching a movie on a DVD.  movie was crappie :D   Moved the zip file to my desk top  and made a folder for it and unzip

See  the install icon and a bunch of Bin and Brz files.  So I guess that Job is done.  Right now I have two CMBN-CW-MG installs.

One up to date. V.311 Game engine 3.  Now the other install is V.2.12. I guess I could use the CMBN installer to update it to V.311?

Now say I want to install a brand new  CM-CW-MG?? Would I use my old bungle disks CMBN -CW disk's to start the Basic install??

and I have the MG disk? would I use that?  I just have not purchase Vehicle Pack yet.

Any info on the things  that I have posted here.

Thanks

Regards

Lane :)  

Edited by Zane

:)  One more dumb question tonight?

Guess this is off topic here. But her goes. On your Signature Box  under my blank picture :)

there is a green Box with a number in it.  I have a One? what does that mean??

Well I think I will check out of the night shift early tonight. And get some sleep.

Merry Christmas and Happy New year. guys.

Regards

Lane

Zane, if you installed the 3.0 upgrade you should have a couple icons on your desktop, one of which is activate modules, can't you just click on that and put in the key for whatever module you want, whether MG or CW?

As for the number, must be a new merit system that's a part of the new forum software they are running, if it makes you feel any better you've got me out ranked, I'm a zero.  ;)

:)   easytarget,

Hey buddy if I figure this thing out. I will rate you a 10. 

Just gave you a 1  now we are even.  Pushed the green up arrow on your post.

I see one Icon to install in my folder but don't see a second.

Later 

:)  :)

Lane

Edited by Zane

Ah, so that's what the arrows are for, haha.

Hmm, well, when I ran the install.exe for 3.0 it threw a couple icons on my desktop, one was to play the game, the other was to activate modules.  First time I went to play the game it insisted on being given a key, I got stuck there for a bit because I was trying to put in the original Normandy key, thought that was what it was after.  Anyway, eventually I put in the 3.0 key I got for purchasing the upgrade and that worked.  That gave me access to the base game.

Next I used the activate module link, which apparently for some reason you don't have (have you installed the upgrade you downloaded at this point?), and that allowed me to put in keys for the modules.

Btw, the activate module target instruction line is: "E:\Combat Mission Battle for Normandy\CM Normandy.exe" -showui.  Set the drive letter to where you have yours and run that command line and I bet you have the key UI pop up so you can put in your module keys.