• Announcements

• Battlefront.com

Special Upgrade 4 Tech Tips   12/27/2016

Hi all! Now that Upgrade 4 is out and about in large quantities we have now discovered a few SNAFUs that happen out in the scary, real world that is home computing.  Fortunately the rate of problems is extremely small and so far most are easily worked around.  We've identified a few issues that have similar causes which we have clear instructions for work arounds here they are: 1.  CMRT Windows customers need to re-license their original key.  This is a result of improvements to the licensing system which CMBN, CMBS, and CMFB are already using.  To do this launch CMRT with the Upgrade and the first time enter your Engine 4 key.  Exit and then use the "Activate New Products" shortcut in your CMRT folder, then enter your Engine 3 license key.  That should do the trick. 2.  CMRT and CMBN MacOS customers have a similar situation as #2, however the "Activate New Products" is inside the Documents folder in their respective CM folders.  For CMBN you have to go through the process described above for each of your license keys.  There is no special order to follow. 3.  For CMBS and CMFB customers, you need to use the Activate New Products shortcut and enter your Upgrade 4 key.  If you launch the game and see a screen that says "LICENSE FAILURE: Base Game 4.0 is required." that is an indication you haven't yet gone through that procedure.  Provided you had a properly functioning copy before installing the Upgrade, that should be all you need to do.  If in the future you have to install from scratch on a new system you'll need to do the same procedure for both your original license key and your Upgrade 4.0 key. 4.  There's always a weird one and here it is.  A few Windows users are not getting "Activate New Products" shortcuts created during installation.  Apparently anti-virus software is preventing the installer from doing its job.  This might not be a problem right now, but it will prove to be an issue at some point in the future.  The solution is to create your own shortcut using the following steps: Disable your anti-virus software before you do anything. Go to your Desktop, right click on the Desktop itself, select NEW->SHORTCUT, use BROWSE to locate the CM EXE that you are trying to fix. The location is then written out. After it type in a single space and then paste this:

-showui

Click NEXT and give your new Shortcut a name (doesn't matter what). Confirm that and you're done. Double click on the new Shortcut and you should be prompted to license whatever it is you need to license. At this time we have not identified any issues that have not been worked around.  Let's hope it stays that way Steve
    • Battlefront.com

Forum Reorganization   10/12/2017

We've reorganized our Combat Mission Forums to reflect the fact that most of you are now running Engine 4 and that means you're all using the same basic code.  Because of that, there's no good reason to have the discussion about Combat Mission spread out over 5 separate sets of Forums.  There is now one General Discussion area with Tech Support and Scenario/Mod Tips sub forums.  The Family specific Tech Support Forums have been moved to a new CM2 Archives area and frozen in place. You might also notice we dropped the "x" from distinguishing between the first generation of CM games and the second.  The "x" was reluctantly adopted back in 2005 or so because at the time we had the original three CM games on European store shelves entitled CM1, CM2, and CM3 (CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK).  We didn't want to cause confusion so we added the "x".  Time has moved on and we have to, so the "x" is now gone from our public vocabulary as it has been from our private vocabulary for quite a while already.  Side note, Charles *NEVER* used the "x" so now we're all speaking the same language as him.  Which is important since he is the one programming them
Jingo

3.11 Patch doesn't update Commonwealth, also getting crash

I'm getting a game crash when I try to run a Quick Battle with Allied as the attacker and Armor Only. It works fine if I choose a diff type of attacking force or even choose Axis armored as the attacker.

I noticed also that after installing the 3.11 patch, it doesn't update the Commonwealth module. I purchaced the CMBN + Commonwealth bundle (v1.10) a while back and then I bought the 2.00 and 3.00 upgrades so I could get everything up to the latest. But it's never worked quite right. Not sure what to do. I've tried reinstalling numerous times using the recommended install instructions all with the same result.

Faulting application name: CM Normandy.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5467f30e
Faulting module name: CM Normandy.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5467f30e
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000b40fe
Faulting process id: 0x2a40
Faulting application start time: 0x01d01bfb8c54cea6
Faulting application path: C:\Users\Jared\Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission Battle for Normandy\CM Normandy.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Users\Jared\Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission Battle for Normandy\CM Normandy.exe
Report Id: bf334afe-87ef-11e4-aa6c-54271e32e29f

I have an AlienWare 17 (laptop). I've filed a ticket too, but the person who was helping me has slowed up in responding so hoping someone has experienced the same thing here and knows a fix. Thanks.

What do you mean with "it doesn't update the Commonwealth module"? Since 3.10, there are no more module.exe files, so the patch updates everything. Or nothing (if installed wrong).

Sounds like installation issues to me. My suggestion - redownload the 3.0 Upgrade. This has now been switched to a huge download which includes the entire game, updated to 3.11. More about this switch later this weekend. This is the only download you'll need, it includes the entire family. Then use your keys to activate what isn't (chances are, everything already is).

No need to futz around with different installers any more.

What I mean is the 3.11 patch should update everything, but it isn't. The Commonwealth module doesn't show as active in the game when I activate this patch. I'll try downloading the updated 3.0 upgrade. Thanks for the tip.

I've restarted the game a bunch so I know it's not that. I'm fairly certain I activated it because it was active before I installed the 3.11 patch.

Anyway, I tried to download this new 3.0 upgrade and Moon is indeed correct, it is a HUGE download, weighing in at 9 GB. The problem is that it needs to be broken up somehow into smaller downloadable chunks. I keep getting a network error on this huge file, and then I have to retry and do yet another 12-hour download. Uggg.

Yeah, you needed to activate your modules after 3.11 patch. Reading instructions gets you a long way you know. ;)

Moon is a CM developer so he is always right when it comes to this game. :D

Downloadin 9 gigs is no small feat. It's already quite an undertaking for us with 950 kb/s download speed! This is gonna be achilles point in this new system. If you won't suceed you will stay with the pricey cd option.

Make sure,your computer is set not to go idle after some time. This is what screwed me. Go to your energy saving options and disable it so that your com runs frisky 24/7.

Good luck!

Thanks Hister. I did FINALLY get it downloaded (four attempts I think) and I chose the Activate Modules link from my desktop. The Commonwealth module is now showing up and it's showing I have version 3.11, so that's all good.

But I still get my original executable error (see first post above) whenever I do a quick battle and choose Armor Only for both teams and set automatic purchase. Not sure if there's anything I can do to clear that up.

Hello all

I too am getting the quick battle crash. I have all of the modules, the last being Market Garden I received for Christmas 2014. I uninstalled my game and used the new master installer and added all of the keys. Games launches fine and I can play a battle or start a campaign. If I start a quick battle, it does not matter what I set it to ...size, forces, day etc... as soon as I click ok  to go to the force selection screen the game hangs. I get a spinning circle and then CTD and it says the .EXE failed and closes the program. I have tried uninstalling and doing it all over with the same results.

i7-4790 3.60 ghz

16gb ram

win7 64

NVIDIA GTX 745

All drivers current.

Yay, it's not just me. I suppose I shouldn't be glad, but Battlefront Techsupport is having a hard time figuring out this one. I've had a ticket open since middle of December and they're not sure what's causing it. But now that there's more than one person getting this, it might help them find out what's going on. The closest I can get to a working complete package is to install the upgrades separately and only up to version 2.12. If I install the 3.0 upgrade or the 3.11 patch I get the game crash. Quick Battle crash for me happens if I choose US for the Allies and Armor only as the type of quick battle. If I choose to play Canada and Armor Only, for example, it works fine.

Can someone at Battlefront please get back to me on this issue? I have an open ticket that was placed in Hold status back in January 2015:

http://battlefront.mojohelpdesk.com/mytickets/show/9030072

I've been very patient. I work for a software company myself, so I understand how bugs can sometimes linger, but even this is getting unbelievable. I was told that my issue would be looked at once a certain developer was freed up from working on Black Sea. Well, Black Sea has been out since January, and no one has gotten back to me with an update. I would at least expect, "Hey I looked at it and I can't duplicate it". It's been crickets. 

I tried responding directly to my email thread on the above open ticket in April, and I didn't get a response. It feels like my issue has been put in a water-tight ammo box and buried deep in the ground so I'm responding here hoping this'll get some traction.