Update on Black Sea release

ChrisND

I really hope this mix of games won't be followed, it would kill the franchise of CM.

I agree entirely.  In my long experience of gaming on the PC I have found that the best games (including both the Combat Mission Series and Door Kickers) are those that do one thing very well.  When games attempt to be all things to all gamers, that's when they fail.  The CM devs are obviously very vigilant about this, thankfully, as evidenced by ChrisND's posts about the game's (self-imposed) limitations of abstracted air support and the dangers of getting too far into off-map assets.  This  also explains the developers' reluctance to offer Spec Ops gameplay within the CM world, as has been explained convincingly in other threads.  Game engines built for one purpose, which in the case of CM is to simulate a company-, or possibly battalion-scaled battlefield, are rarely capable of being adapted for another purpose, whatever the demand, perceived synchronicities or commercial benefits.  Wise developers understand these  limitations and make a virtue of them.  In CM, if I can get infantry to assault and enter a building using supporting fires and effective maneuver, I do not want to have to micromanage room breaches.

Edited by Bahger

I hope as well that they keep the room-clearing process out of the players hands.  What i like about CM is just the fact that you cant control every single soldier, like in other 3D wargames, because if i could i would do just that and it would be a micromanagement hell. CM should stay at the squad level and keep room clearing either abstracted like it is now or make it AI controled. I dont want to be forced to control all the 350 soldiers of my battalion each one by one.

I hope as well that they keep the room-clearing process out of the players hands.  What i like about CM is just the fact that you cant control every single soldier, like in other 3D wargames, because if i could i would do just that and it would be a micromanagement hell. CM should stay at the squad level and keep room clearing either abstracted like it is now or make it AI controled. I dont want to be forced to control all the 350 soldiers of my battalion each one by one.

You're right, that would be total hell, especially as WW II battalions at full strength usually had ~800 men.

Michael

Cool Chris (thanks your nickname), I was hoping you could give us an update? Like a tiny bone you usually do because you're nice and sweet and awesome and we all want to hug you and I want to know if I should buy Dying Light this week or have the money in my account to be able to buy the digital version of this game? 

Please? :3 I will bake you cookies and biscuits.

PS: Is there a way to get notifications in this thread from one person so I stop F5ing this like i'm on crack? Thanks

I feel I need to let you know that you are a little creepy, heyhellowwhatsnew, but perhaps it's just a language/culture issue.

It's a language/culture issue, because to me that is a weird ass post. It's the internet, everyone is allowed to be a little goofy sometimes and not take things seriously, especially at 4:47am in the morning.

Edited by heyhellowhatsnew

dams-fr,

Welcome aboard!

As for the info link, you're most welcome. To get closer to the awful death toll of the ACW, you really need to sum both WW I  and WW II, plus Korea and Vietnam, but you'd still be short. Rather sobering.

Vet 0369,

Fair point, but it doesn't lower the total fatalities, does it? Those killed in battle are still dead. They were still lost to the United States in battle, though this depends to some extent on how you parse the legalities. The Union viewed the CSA as part of itself in rebellion, but which never truly left the fold. The CSA viewed itself as a sovereign state, composed of an aggregation of likeminded sovereign states, which seceded from a much larger aggregation of same, but which wasn't in alignment with the views of the states which became the CSA. Whew! Fortunately, there'll be no test. This isn't a political statement, but a historical one. Unless I screwed it up, in which case it's also partially or wholly a mistake.

The term "civil war" is inherently contradictory, since it's anything but civil. In fact, so-called civil war is frequently characterized by viciousness far exceeding the usual horrors of war. Fortunately, I took Latin in high school and know the root word for such bloody, terribly divisive messes is civis, or "citizen," which makes much better sense. To this day, though, when I hear of a civil war here or there, I cringe. 

Bahger,

I never heard of the "Door Kickers" game, but it sounds cool. I appreciate the info that it was crowd sourced, since a friend of mine has wargame creation ambitions and the skills, but not the moolah. But since you brought up door kicking, you may find this of considerable interest. I sure did when I saw it. The room clearing part is fun, but the who does what, how and why is far more interesting, to include counterintuitive flashbang grenade positioning.

Regards,

John Kettler

TAKODA,

It's not PC. To the contrary, it's pretty bloody, with considerable exsanguination occurring. No beanbag rounds or Tasers used. Wonder whether either's been used in Iraq or Afghanistan? Hm. The GIQ does exist also in Mac, on our already overused mobile devices and on overheated water, but no matter how you slice it, you'll never see blood or gore on CM. Wasn't done before with the very first CM game ever: CMx1's CMBO. Isn't done now. Nor shall ever be in the future. CM is about tactics and the terrible price paid for screwing them up. I hear the problem's even worse in the campaigns, but embarking on them would take having some level of competence in a single fight. Let's just say it sucks to be under my command and let it go at that. Even when I win there's no rejoicing, for my troops are in shreds or dead. Happily for all concerned, I don't do this for a living.

At the rate BFC's going, I suspect that the games will soon come with a discount card for one's first PTSD therapy session. This may sound droll, but after managing to practically annihilate my entire command in CMBN's 18 Platoon, I'm only half joking. If that. Very few here exult in the slaughter of their men (so long as they're attacking) as does c3k, but few of us operate with his approach or the bloodymindedness of Grant or Zhukov. We, as it were, are like those sorrowful company COs in the 50s war movies who know each man by name, as a real person, and take the time after a harrowing fight to write a personal letter to the family of each of the slain.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Couple of more views to kill the wait:

Some more props added to the horizons, as suggested before I looked at the TV and radio antennas, and came up with something not too big, made it red and White to add some colors.

intjcz.jpg

Then, a concrete water tower and a shiny steel grain silos complex, some other of those modern features I was looking for.

qmylmp.jpg

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

The Union viewed the CSA as part of itself in rebellion, but which never truly left the fold. The CSA viewed itself as a sovereign state, composed of an aggregation of likeminded sovereign states, which seceded from a much larger aggregation of same, but which wasn't in alignment with the views of the states which became the CSA.

Usually civil wars are fought between factions within a political entity to determine who would govern. In that sense the North was fighting a civil war but the South was not. The South was not trying to take over the whole country, it was trying to gain its independence from the Union. In the South, the war was often called the War Between the States, which is a slightly more accurate description, but not quite the thing either, since it suggests a sort of general melee with each state fighting all the others, whereas the states were organized into two clearly defined political entities. The most accurately descriptive title for the war that I have come across is The War of Southern Secession...but nobody uses that.

Michael

Usually civil wars are fought between factions within a political entity to determine who would govern. In that sense the North was fighting a civil war but the South was not. The South was not trying to take over the whole country, it was trying to gain its independence from the Union. In the South, the war was often called the War Between the States, which is a slightly more accurate description, but not quite the thing either, since it suggests a sort of general melee with each state fighting all the others, whereas the states were organized into two clearly defined political entities. The most accurately descriptive title for the war that I have come across is The War of Southern Secession...but nobody uses that.

Michael

in Italy most of the people says "guerra di secessione americana", litterally american secession war

In french guerre de sécession (secession war) .. I'm not in France.. Im in Québec .. We had a share of the action (some raid along the border)

But didn't that happen after the Civil War was over? Some disgruntled Irishmen (were there ever any other kind?  :lol: ) set up a private army but got thrown back across the border. After Canada protested, the US government forced their disbandment.

Michael

Edited by Michael Emrys

I'm a big fan of Door Kickers. Bought it in Early Access, and still play it on a regular basis.

That said, I don't think there is much we could take from Door Kickers and use for Combat Mission, not without reducing the scope of Combat Mission to a much smaller scale. Like, platoon versus platoon level combat, maximum size. Basically the problem is that Combat Mission is meant for a larger scale (company) than Door Kickers' systems (individual soldiers). Otherwise it's simply too much detail and micromanaging for a game of Combat Mission's scope.