Hint request

Patgarret

You guys are right.

And this is why I love this game: if you don't do it the right way you get punished. What's the right way? More or less the REAL way, which is way more complicated than the RTS abstraction.

So if you want to succeed you have to learn much more than the rules of the game, you have to learn the rules of the conflict and the doctrines.

Sorry for stating the obvious...

The point here is: playing red thunder, especially with the russians you have to juggle many many units (it's not rare to have 100-150 different units). This means having to focus on different sides and give a big quantity of orders.

This is all well and nice but I do feel that the normandy setting is more focused on few units and small scenario...which makes for a more fun and approachable experience; especially for a newbie.

So my point is that I made the wrong decision opting for Red Thunder as my first game of the series.

Are my assumptions correct?

I suggest you sort the battles by size as has already been suggested. By the way there are quite a few additional scenarios you can download fro this site some of which would suit beginners like yourself. You can also of course pause the action at any time, consider the overall situation and issue new orders based on that assessment. This game is a strategy game, not a click fest.

Nevertheless it is a good idea to play some of the smaller scenarios first to get some experience. In big games, particularly in restricted terrain traffic management can be a big problem when employing large armoured forces! If you make a mess of the traffic mangement you get something reminiscent of the cross roads scene in Patton!

then you had to play smaler scenarios. there is nou any other cure to this =D

Yes there is: play turn-based.

And: enjoy the ride. By which I mean, recognise that it doesn't matter how many units you have on the map, the number of element-clicks-per-hour doesn't change much whether you're playing with a Brigade or a Platoon. You just hit the BRB and the New Game buttons more often. A reinforced Battalion can often be thought of as 3-4 reinforced Company engagements, either simultaneously, or sequentially, depending on your approach; you're just developing the setup in a more plausible (interdependent, or dependent) context.

Large scenarios are, IMO, more forgiving to the newbie, because the loss of one tank or squad to a rookie blunder doesn't mean you've lost your only tank, or 2/3 of your maneuver elements to that error, and you get a chance to react to it, and learn from it. Chunk it up, in time or space and be methodical about how you deal with handing out orders, and it won't seem like a clickfest. An early skill to learn is knowing where you can play fast-and-loose with your orders (in complete hill-protected defilade for example) without serious consequence, and when you have to drop your waypoints and explicit target orders in just the right places for maximum effect.