New file at the Repository: Ambush (2014-12-08)

How?!? Is that really possible? :D

It's not that difficult. You need to open the scneario file with a hex editor and change byte 10 with the right code for the main game (00 for CMSF, 02 for CMA and so on).

However, there must be done several adjustment. The TO&E tables are completly mixed up (the scenario may not even load if you don't delete them in the original game first), and some of the buildings must be replaced. But generally, yes, it is possible. Would be rather helpfull if BFC would use some kind of unified map, though.

I loaded trident valley and deleted the TOE's, buildings, and doodads.  I used HxD to open the scenario file and change byte 10 to "08" but it did not work.  In fact I could not even get the Battles screen or scenario editor screen to come up without it crashing.  If you could post some step pics that would be great.  I am curious to see this work.

The year and month is adjusted automatically somehow to something that is available in the target game. AI plans are carried over without problem. I noticed that maps can be better transfered to a newer version like cmsf to cmbn than from cmrt to cmbn for example. It also seemed to me that cmbn 2.0 is more cooperativ as 3.0.

Firstly I deleted the unit table in the orinal game and safe the scenario file.

Than I change the hex code and load the file with my Cmbn 2.0, save the file again with no further changes. This seem to make the file compatible to the 3.0 version for some reason. After that I have no problem to load the scenario to bn, fi and rt. For fi and rt I need to change the hex code again, of course.

I tested 'Trident Valey', this one indeed can not transfered to the WWII games, while it works with CM:A. I was not able to solve this problem so far, but have an idea left...

However, it would be rather nice if BFC would create an unified scenario editor that loades any CM scenario and save it to the target game of choice. Shouldn't be to difficult, since it already works with a workaround mostly.

I tested 'Trident Valey', this one indeed can not transfered to the WWII games, while it works with CM:A. I was not able to solve this problem so far, but have an idea left...

However, it would be rather nice if BFC would create an unified scenario editor that loades any CM scenario and save it to the target game of choice. Shouldn't be to difficult, since it already works with a workaround mostly.

Appreciate the help Scipio.  I do agree with you on your "unified" statement.  Allowing us to play CMFI and CMRT maps in CMBN would be cool. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's not that difficult. You need to open the scneario file with a hex editor and change byte 10 with the right code for the main game (00 for CMSF, 02 for CMA and so on).

However, there must be done several adjustment. The TO&E tables are completly mixed up (the scenario may not even load if you don't delete them in the original game first), and some of the buildings must be replaced. But generally, yes, it is possible. Would be rather helpfull if BFC would use some kind of unified map, though.

So it's an increment of 2 for each game?

So 0x04 would be CMBN, 0x06 CMFI and so forth?

Yes, that's right.

00 = SF

02 = A

04 = BN

06 = FI

08 = RT

10 should be Black Sea, but I ain't own this one yet because of low budget, so I can't confirme

BTW, it was Mad Mike who told me about that special hex that he found when creating his scenario organizer.

Sadly backporting CMRT to CMSF does not seem to work using this method - I tried backporting a QB map which didn't work and then created my own map using only terrain types that were common to both games and that didn't work either. It is a real pity because I thought that I would be able to use the special editor overlay to draw out real World maps in CMRT and then use those as a base for CMSF scenarios. Great find though.