Recommended specs for PC for Black Sea?

Phoenix

SSD makes huge difference in load times. I can absolutely attest to that .

I just got mine in the mail last week (hooray black friday deals). I am excited to slot that puppy in (but not so much to do the work to transfer everything over to that drive from my old, 1/2 the space HDD). I am waiting on a new video card as I type (boo someone stealing a box of pants off my porch from black friday deals).

(hooray they didn't get my SSD or headphones)

I can tell you what works great in CMBN CMFI CMRT :)

Specs: EVO Hackintosh

3.89 GHz Intel i7-4770K

Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 4096 MB

OS X 10.9.5 (13F34)

Hardly anything slows this puppy down.

Get as much CPU GHz as you can comfortably afford.

I would stick with NVIDIA for GPU. 2GB should work but 4GB gives you multi monitor power or potentially 4K resolution ... when you get the 4 K monitor.

Thinking of building a new system. Saw a thread on red thunder tech support that I thought the recommendations might apply to the new game. Yes? No?

I'm thinking i5, ssd, and well. Video card??? Anything particularly good for this type of game?

In my opinion if it is good to play CMRT it will be good to play CMBS.

My machine is less powerful than @Buzz's - I have an i5 and only 2G in my 760 and I am very happy with the results. On the other hand I do have Windows 7 so that might put me a head of @Buzz :D (that last part is just a joke)

This game eats IPC performance, so Haswell or Ivy Bridge obviously k series (or wait for skylake, which is going to be a big step knowing intels tick-tack cpu line of chip improvements), good OCable mobo + proper cooler and OC the hell out of it :) don't forget a big case with lots of airflow..

GPU doesn't really matter, I'm pretty sure this game would perform equally if I threw my current one out for a 10 year old budget card.

How's this - Intel Core i5-4690K $230.

Asus GTX660 for $160. Appears to have dual monitor outputs.

GPU doesn't really matter

Im currently playing RT on a very old Nvidia card. Probably from 2007. Can't really hack RT in anything larger than small battles. (Which I happen to prefer, but still, not optimal)

Maybe this is not the fault of the video card? Just the old quad core processor perhaps?

I'm guessing anything is going to be a huge improvement. It's also OEM hard drive from however many years ago I got the PC (Dell)

Putting an SSD in my 6 year old laptop was a HUGE improvement, so I'm betting I'll notice the same in the desktop.

Hmm... How about a laptop for this game? Not sure I really want to get another desktop. I never use it for anything but CM.

good OCable

I don't know what this is.

OC means Overclocking - tl;dr Increasing the clock frequency above the "standart" set by the manufacturer to increase the performence. For example, my FX-8120 comes with a base frequency of 3.1Ghz, I overclocked it to 4.8Ghz and it has increased my performence tremendously in games that are CPU heavy.

CM is running on pure CPU power, the GPU does almost nothing, atleast in my case I never get more than 12% load with my 3(?) year old at-the-time already mid-class HD7870.

Intel Core i5-4690K is just what I would recommend, what motherboard do you have in mind?

The 660 is a budget card, won't stand many modern games (assuming 1080p >medium settings) but is still overkill for CM.

I would strongly advice against a laptop, even if you find one with the 4690 in it you won't be able to overclock it without having to flash the BIOS (I have never seen a laptop with a fully unlocked BIOS out of the box). And even if you do that the laptop won't cope with the heat, that's why you'll probably get the cpu downclocked by the manufacturer to keep the heat level managable with those tiny little fans in that tiny plastic box. It's simply not possible to fit something like this into a laptop case => you gotta throttle the "engine" so hard that it generates just as much heat as those laptop fans can take.

Intel Core i5-4690K is just what I would recommend, what motherboard do you have in mind?

Was looking here - http://www.logicalincrements.com and thought I'd get one that was rated "excellent" and thought this would be good. https://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z97g45gaming

OC means Overclocking

That I've heard of. But what's the "OCable" mean?? Did he mean OC capable?

What is needed to overclock the CPU? Is it easy? No jumpers and crap I hope. (Been 20 odd years since I built a PC)

The 660 is a budget card, won't stand many modern games (assuming 1080p >medium settings) but is still overkill for CM

Well..hmmm. I don't play anything else. To old for shooters anymore.

I would strongly advice against a laptop

Good points, thanks!

What about this for a video card. Only 33 bucks more.

Gigabyte GV-N760OC-2GD REV2.0

In my opinion if it is good to play CMRT it will be good to play CMBS.

My machine is less powerful than @Buzz's - I have an i5 and only 2G in my 760 and I am very happy with the results. On the other hand I do have Windows 7 so that might put me a head of @Buzz :D (that last part is just a joke)

I think Ian has the underlined above bulls-eyed.

BTW: I do have a Windows 7 Pro 64 SSD on a pop in sled for the Evil EVO Hackintosh when I have to go over to the really 'evil side'... :D

I will check the mobo tomorrow when I have more time.

With OCable I simply meant it's made for that - while you can OC on any serious mobo I can think of - you won't get that far until things start to crash on you if you get the cheapest one [this is very vague, you can still get lucky (same for the CPU but they usually average around roughly the same values with very few extremes while the avg. quality of a 50$ vs 250$ mobo gets cristal clear the higher you go)].

I only had to use a jumper once and that was my own fault for messing with stuff I had not enough knowledge about.

OCing is pretty damn easy and hard to fail badly - although some people do manage it - (for GPUs even more, just raise some sliders individually and test every time if it's stable...done!), if you know the max safe values etc and how to get into your bios you're almost done. The only thing it really requires is patience and time since you should stress test a lot to find a stable and for you comfortable level to set in stone.

The 760 is roughly 15-20% more overkill for CM than the 660

I don't know if you have a budget - both would have a lot more power than CM will need in the next decade so if you have to chose between better CPU/mobo/ram parts and the gpu, drop the gpu - if you don't plan on playing anything else that is somewhat up-to-date with it's visuals! If you don't have to worry a lot about money I'd say go for the 760 and check the competitors 7870 and R270X if you can get them for a big chunk cheaper somewhere.

For the actual Overclocking - since I don't know how much you know about it - I recommend watching one of them. They should roughly cover the same topics.

[#1](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CHs5_TdpXE);

[#2](http://youtu.be/Qcta3RStYSM?t=1m18s)

LOL they stole your pants but left the SSD and headphones - suckers.

"Pissst hey mister, want to buy some pants"

They were on different days. The computer parts came from New Egg earlier in the week. Then a day or so later a little AR magazine vest came via Amazon. Then after that my pants came via Amazon too. So three packages on three different days.

The kicker was that other packages from Amazon arrived the on the same day as my pants, apparently unmolested! It was all baby shower things for my wife's baby shower last Sunday.

My pants were probably delivered on an earlier truck than her Amazon order.

So yeah, I went home from work yesterday as soon as I saw my video card was out on a truck for delivery. Package secured!

If you followed my AAR thread, you would know the rig I just built. This descrip is ~ page 13 I think.

- Intel i5-4690K 'Devils Canyon' 3.6ghz - 3.9ghz boost CPU

- 16gb DDR3 2133 Gskills Ripjaw RAM

- Asrock Z97 Fatal1ty Killer motherboard

- Nvidia GTX-970 4gb GPU from Gigabyte

- 256gb Corsair SSD

- H75 Corsair liquid CPU cooler

- 1TB WD Black data HD

- Raidmax CobraZ case

- Seasonic 620w Power supply

- Old model LG Blueray R/W

- Win 8.1

Seems to run CMBS beta just fine. ;-) Parts bought from Newegg and Amazon, using this tool.

"Go to hardforum.com . They have a utility called “hoverhound”. It is a basic price finder and trender. (It works with Chrome, maybe firefox, but not IE.) Find a part at newegg, and it’ll add a button on the newegg price. Hover over the button and you get price history and comparison. It’s cool. Your woman will think you’re more manly if you use it. Really." C3K

Price came in under $1200, assuming I collect all the mail-in rebates. Gotta love Black Friday deals!

If you followed my AAR thread, you would know the rig I just built. This descrip is ~ page 13 I think.

- Intel i5-4690K 'Devils Canyon' 3.6ghz - 3.9ghz boost CPU

- 16gb DDR3 2133 Gskills Ripjaw RAM

- Asrock Z97 Fatal1ty Killer motherboard

- Nvidia GTX-970 4gb GPU from Gigabyte

- 256gb Corsair SSD

- H75 Corsair liquid CPU cooler

- 1TB WD Black data HD

- Raidmax CobraZ case

- Seasonic 620w Power supply

- Old model LG Blueray R/W

- Win 8.1

Seems to run CMBS beta just fine. ;-) Parts bought from Newegg and Amazon, using this tool.

"Go to hardforum.com . They have a utility called “hoverhound”. It is a basic price finder and trender. (It works with Chrome, maybe firefox, but not IE.) Find a part at newegg, and it’ll add a button on the newegg price. Hover over the button and you get price history and comparison. It’s cool. Your woman will think you’re more manly if you use it. Really." C3K

Price came in under $1200, assuming I collect all the mail-in rebates. Gotta love Black Friday deals!

Nice deal. I went with an i7 but a smaller SSD. Sooner or later I will get a larger one, just really don't feel like rebuilding/reloading yet. Maybe over the Christmas holiday. The liquid cooling is a treat. It is sooo much quieter than my old set up. I haven't ventured to Win 8 so maybe I'll do the SSD and that at the same time.

Ended up going with a system from https://www.pugetsystems.com/

Asus Z97-A
Intel Core i5 4690 3.5GHz Quad Core 6MB 84W
Kingston 8GB DDR3-1600 (2x4GB)
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5inch SSD
Asus 24x DVD-RW SATA (Black)
Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 w/ Window
Antec TruePower New Series 650W Power Supply
Cooler Master Hyper TX3 CPU Cooler
Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound Upgrade
Windows7 Home Premium
Lifetime warranty Labor and Support 1 year parts. 

Must say, was VERY impressed with customer service so far. Emailed them some questions and had replies
in about 5 minutes. 

Yah, definitly costs more than building one yourself, but I don't wanna mess with that. 
They do all the burn in testing and stuff and I don't have to deal with any DOA parts.

Also decided against trying the over clocking stuff. I figure I'm going from a 6 year old pentium something or another 
with an ancient hard drive to the I5 and the fastest SSD around, that should be plenty. :D
Edited by Phoenix

Enjoy the new computer Phoenix. I bought my last computer from Puget Systems and it served me well for 5 years. Their tech support is top notch.

Just built my first computer and it's very similar to your new setup. It should run CM very well.

MSI Z-97 Gaming 5

Intel Core i5 4690

Kingston 8GB DDR3-1866 Ram

EVGA GeForce GTX 760

Samsung 250GB SSD

Seasonic 620 W Power Supply

Corsair 200R Case

WIndows 8.1

Sorry phoenix, guess my answer is a bit late.  It took me ~ 5 hours I guess, counting OS and drivers, but not counting all the ancillary software I had to grab and upload, but you'll have to do all that w/ a new built from your custom guys too.  I used newegg tv on Youtube (superb two part series on building rig and installing drivers - 2 hours long, all quality input) and chatting w/ C3K, along with the occasional google search (usually got decent answers at tomshardware) as my primary sources.  Biggest issues for me were nervousness over installing the CPU (unwarranted), troubleshooting then realizing I had to tell the Bios/UEFI that I had installed more components (easy fix), cable management nervousness (warranted, as unpluggin multiple times could cost you a mobo pin), and conceptual understanding of cooling scheme (she hasn't overheated yet so I must have done it close to right!).  Overall was much easier than I expected and was actually a lot of fun.  I highly recommend taking the plunge on this - C3K was my convincer - told me I had to 'man up' etc...  If anyone else decides to have a go at it, PM him (revenge!) or me or both and we'll pass along knowledge - extensive on his part, limited on mine. 

Sorry phoenix, guess my answer is a bit late.  It took me ~ 5 hours I guess, counting OS and drivers, but not counting all the ancillary software I had to grab and upload, but you'll have to do all that w/ a new built from your custom guys too.  I used newegg tv on Youtube (superb two part series on building rig and installing drivers - 2 hours long, all quality input) and chatting w/ C3K, along with the occasional google search (usually got decent answers at tomshardware) as my primary sources.  Biggest issues for me were nervousness over installing the CPU (unwarranted), troubleshooting then realizing I had to tell the Bios/UEFI that I had installed more components (easy fix), cable management nervousness (warranted, as unpluggin multiple times could cost you a mobo pin), and conceptual understanding of cooling scheme (she hasn't overheated yet so I must have done it close to right!).  Overall was much easier than I expected and was actually a lot of fun.  I highly recommend taking the plunge on this - C3K was my convincer - told me I had to 'man up' etc...  If anyone else decides to have a go at it, PM him (revenge!) or me or both and we'll pass along knowledge - extensive on his part, limited on mine. 

He will tell you that when your standing at the top of a cliff with an umbrella as well, you realize?  ;)

Edited by dan/california