Vehicles to be added with modules (current armies)

Kieme(ITA)

Yes, that hummer has Ukr VDV symbol on the side door.

So, in a VDV confrontation we would have

Ukraine VDV:

BMD-1

BMD-2

BTR-D (bmd without turret)

BTR-D with SZU (?)

Hummer (uparmored and with NSVT)

BTR-80 (bar armor version) - according to an above picture.

Russia VDV:

BMD-2

BMD-3

BMD-4M

BTR-D

BTR-MDM

The only vehicle in common would be the BMD-2 and, possibly, BTR-D.

Is this right?

Yes, that hummer has Ukr VDV symbol on the side door.

So, in a VDV confrontation we would have

Ukraine VDV:

BMD-1

BMD-2

BTR-D (bmd without turret)

BTR-D with SZU (?)

Hummer (uparmored and with NSVT)

BTR-80 (bar armor version) - according to an above picture.

Russia VDV:

BMD-2

BMD-3

BMD-4M

BTR-D

BTR-MDM

The only vehicle in common would be the BMD-2 and, possibly, BTR-D.

Is this right?

Yes, ontop of these both have 2S9 Nona, and 2S23 Nona SVK self-propelled 120mm mortar/gun system - RF Naval infantry also share same system.

RF VDV would have Sprut-SD and basic model of BMD-4 (Bakchka-U turret on BMD-3 chassis). RF Naval infantry also share Sprut-SD.

RF VDV also have a number of BTR-80 series vehicles I believe also.

BTR-D with ZSU is also called BTR-ZD, also BTR-D with Konkurs/Kornet launcher is BTR-RD.

BTR-RD

btr_d.jpg

This brings to 8 the total number of potential versions of BMD family vehicles for future modules (VDV dedicated vehicle). Pus the NONA S9 which might be or not considered off scale for the game pourpose.

Then there are about 4/6 vehicles of special kinds.

I am in big difficulties with US Army equipment, does anybody have any idea of what could be added?

BTR-RD

I am in big difficulties with US Army equipment, does anybody have any idea of what could be added?

On previous evidence you are unlikely to see much new US army equipment. Different branches, such add the marines, very likely. Other NATO forces such as Britain, Poland, Germany. Other Ukrainian branches and formations. Plenty of stuff in those to keep everyone happy.

akd,

I deem our pathetic tactical air defense capabilities a national disgrace. They're so bad maybe we should buy surplus Shilkas. The only thing scary on an Avenger are the Stingers. When I compare what we have with the panoply of air defense systems the Russians have, I want to cry. In a way it's not surprising US tactical ar defense should be so crummy, for US ground forces have almost zero experience of being under air attack. Consequently, there is no historical memory to draw upon, no bitter lessons learned at enormous cost to inspire focus and a sense of urgency. Am told we've now got/are in the process of making operational some sort of proper SAM. If so, hurray! Well past about time.

Kieme(ITA),

VDV's sure come a long way from ASU-57! Is there a site where all these goodies are shown and explained? Russian AFV developments are now past my Cold War knowledge base. When I left military aerospace in mid 1989, we had some pics of BMD-2s and an overhead, doubtless deliberately fuzzy, shot of the BMD-3 on the proving grounds. Am quite confused by the designation BTR-D for a tracked vehicle, since historically, BTR applied solely to wheeled ones, starting with the BTR-60 and continuing. The other surprise? The ancient PTS-1, a star performer in the 1973 Yom Kippur War's storming of the Suez Canal!

Regards,

John Kettler

I don't use a specific site, I just search for random pictures of the real things. Mainly I refer to Zaloga's, Markov, Kinnear books, although I also have a gap concerning the last decade.

NONA 2S9

2s9_nona_s_l2.jpg

AVENGER AN-TWQ-1

Avenger_AN-TWQ-1_short-range_pedestral_mounted_air_defence_missile_system_US_United_States_army_640.jpg

and

5-16.jpg

Maybe US Army didn't develop short and medium range AA assets due to their confidence in air superiority? Or are they really that behind in anti Aircraft mobile units? Because there sure is a gap between them and practically all EU armies too, which have developed heavy AA vehicles of various kinds.

Because there sure is a gap between them and practically all EU armies too

If I were to hazard a complete guess I'd suspect US has wargamed out various AA platforms and simply didn't like the result. Not enough bang for the buck. Sgt York software was not only notoriously flawed, Russian anti-rank helo missiles outranged it too. Whatever AA asset you field has to outreach the enemy. Oh, the MT-LB Shturm-S AT vehicle in the game fires a ground mount version of that "Sgt York killer" AT missile. What is it again... 9M114 missile.

5640689_20140131092105.jpg

We are forgetting that at the "combat mission" level, the effects of LRSAM is ignored.

Im sure that the patriot batteries enevitably set up around Kiev in the Ukraine war of 2017 would be denying airspace to the Russians. Im sure that this can be modelled by the scenario editor but in QB against hand picked opposing forces, the US will be hampered to attempt to mitigate highly effective Russian ground attack capability.

- Spend points on stinger teams.

Give me everything Ukrainian, including the mashup jobs.

As for the US and AD, the Sgt York project was cursed and after that mobile AAA has kind of fallen out of favour in the West. The Gepard soldiers on (mostly in mothballs), but its replacement will probably be missile-based.

The Russians still like guns, maybe because they found the Shilkas very useful in Grozny.

Give me everything Ukrainian, including the mashup jobs.

As for the US and AD, the Sgt York project was cursed and after that mobile AAA has kind of fallen out of favour in the West. The Gepard soldiers on (mostly in mothballs), but its replacement will probably be missile-based.

The Russians still like guns, maybe because they found the Shilkas very useful in Grozny.

Russians utilize a combination of guns and missles on their modern short-range AD platforms (i.e. Pantsir, Tunguska); which seems logical and reasonable. I am not aware of Shilka usage in Grozny (as opposed to Tunguskas that had some serious issues with mantaining their combat effectiveness in such environment). However, it definitely gives them a nice tactical option to use such systems against enemy infantry and light vehicles in low-threat environments.

Russians utilize a combination of guns and missles on their modern short-range AD platforms (i.e. Pantsir, Tunguska); which seems logical and reasonable. I am not aware of Shilka usage in Grozny (as opposed to Tunguskas that had some serious issues with mantaining their combat effectiveness in such environment). However, it definitely gives them a nice tactical option to use such systems against enemy infantry and light vehicles in low-threat environments.

On a side note, Tunguskas had supposedely used their missles (and not just guns) to engage Chechen strongholds in the first battle for Grozny. From what I've read, they were actually quite effecive... to the point of leveling small buildings and collapsing several storys of large stractures in one salvo.

• 3 weeks later...

On a side note, Tunguskas had supposedely used their missles (and not just guns) to engage Chechen strongholds in the first battle for Grozny. From what I've read, they were actually quite effecive... to the point of leveling small buildings and collapsing several storys of large stractures in one salvo.

Grozny wasn't pleasant, but no one had to be concerned with the Chechen air-force.  You would be far less aggressive with against ground targets when there was much risk at all of Apaches raining missiles on your force.