Sign in to follow this  
Gen Von Television

The loneliness of a long distance runner

Hi Guys,

I'm not sure this has already been discussed or noticed by others but it happened to me in more than an instance while playing, with different squads and in different spots: admittedly it may not be easy to notice, but after issuing a Quick Move order to a squad in a covered terrain far from the fighting I then found a single soldier running astray far from the rest of his squad.

Once he was even running in an opposite direction, and again the squad wasn't even under any observation from the enemy and in full C2, and in normal state.

Just weird.

I happen to notice this after the 3.11 upgrade and up to now only in CMBN, but as I said this may be hard to notice, since a single soldier may get lost or killed.

Once you notice it you can still try to recover him by issuing proper orders to the whole squad to move even to a short distance, or just wait there for the loner to rejoin, but the result is that the squad will get tired just because of that single one going back and forth!

I'm not sure this is an AI bug or a casual / chaos introduced routine specifically introduced for the sake of realism.

Did anyone noticed this?

amZ8MM.jpg

I don't think that I have noticed it with an Infantry Squad before. But, it does seem to occur with British 3-man Mortar teams quite often. Normally if they are passing through a gap in a hedgerow, or going through an orchard. So I keep an eye out for it. When I notice it happening I give the unit a "Halt" command and wait for them to merge back together again. I find that if you give them a "Slow" or "Move" command it will take far longer for them to get back together. if at all. I know that it is a bit of a pain. So the quicker that you spot it happening the less time the men will take to regroup.

As far as I know it happened twice with Inf Squads during open ground maneuvers, the problem is that thereafter the whole squad get exhausted even if it stay waiting for the lone runner to rejoin.

Consequently you'll have to wait quite sometime before the squad regain some strength: annoying...

Sign in to follow this