PC for Combat Mission (help)

so i need some help, every decision i make is usually fail. this one must not be!

ofcourse if i buy a new pc i can play some ''tirple aaa'' titles as they call it but they are of secondary importance.

games like cm, eu4,some interesting strategies etc are Primary games

that said(intel), i need a pc that is* a budget Pc (700 dollars perhaps,including ram and other things,except monitor/keyboard/mouse/audio) that can Eat CM on at least* Improved/best/ AA : on, shadows+shaders : ON , on large and huge maps

(vertical synch: not as important,but sure why not)

Supersample: would be good if that would work

i know Cpu is important and that intel has better single core performance (cm=x1 core) but thats pretty much all i Really* know.i am sure there is much more to it.

also i had before hd 7750 amd, and fps was bad in the cities, good in forests and bocage . then i replaced it (great deal i know) with GT 630 2gb DDR3* gpu, which is 30% slower card, noticed that in other games i played for test like arma 2.

Now with GT 630 in my pc, cities,towns etc work better than the more powerfull amd hd 7750 , but now forests/bocages are lagging like hell) , with AA on, on even small maps, if i go to level 1,it can drop me to 10ish fps, which is unacceptable (on big maps even 8) (combination of bocage and forest is deadly for me now, specially with Shaders ON)

people say Cpu is important, gpu not so much. well i am not convinced in that. watching some youtube videos ....brings more questions than answers. but gpu IS importnat, not AS much as Cpu but nearly as much. it will make a difference.

one question related to this: as i said, forests and bocages with shaders : ON , bring my fps down to 8-10-15,(shaders : off, and i get 10-15 fps more) doesnt that mean that its GPU that cannot handle Shaders, not the CPU?isnt cpu about calculations of soldiers tanks and other things.

Also,as previously said, trees are fps killer for me, well isnt that GPU work, what does cpu has to do with trees, now i am far from 'programmer'' and ''tech guy'' but isnt it more logical , at least on first thought , that the GPU is mainly responsible for the trees (remmeber , when i had amd 7750 tress werent lagging that much,but towns did)

one other thing,my amd Hd 7750 could handle supersample much better than gt 630,lagg was noticable but minimal,while on gt 630, its very noticable and mediocre

so with all this said, you get some picture.now what would be ''good'' choice to go with to fullfill , at least most of my expetations

I bought a new machine in April - I had slightly different requirements - CM was important but I also needed to be able to do heavy photo editing so I spent more then what you are talking about. Then again that was April...

Here is the thread where I asked similar questions and got good advice about GPU:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=110373

What I ended up with was:

Core i5-4670, 3.4GHz

GTX760 2GB

Windows 7

16Gb memory

SanDisk Ultra Plus 256Gb SSD drive

Western Digital 1 Tb 7200rpm

Plus a few other bibs and bobs because I needed to attach firewire devices, read various cards etc.

It cost me $1200 ish in Canada. As you well know everything is a compromise. Who wouldn't want an i7 core but I needed a good GPU for running CM and I wanted an SSD drive for overall performance. And I don't need 16Gb for playing CM but when I have Light room running and I am doing some crazy image stacking or pano sticking in Photoshop I am glad to have the 16Gb for sure.

My work machine has an i7 core but a less capable graphics card - don't need GPU power for developing software tools for other software developers. CM runs better on my home machine. And by better I mean I can crank the graphics settings to the max on my home machine and happily play the game but have to back off on my other machine to get good camera performance.

• 7 months later...

I should have added a couple of links. My similar question last year with possibly relevant comments: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/109269-looking-for-video-card-advise/. A discussion about optimizing graphics driver settings: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/118549-performance-optimization/#entry1589327

A very respectable budget Rig for under $800:

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/CyberPower_Z97_i5_Configurator

for $11 more you can get a R7 370 instead of the R7 360

for $20 or $40 more you can get a GTX 750 instead of the R7 360

hey thx for suggestion. i bought few months ago gtx 970 and i5 4690k and cm runs like crap xd

Edited by Lacroix

hey thx for suggestion. i bought few months ago gtx 970 and i5 4690k and cm runs like crap xd

You should not have any problems running CM with those pieces of hardware so there must be some other technical or software issues causing it to run poorly.

You should not have any problems running CM with those pieces of hardware so there must be some other technical or software issues causing it to run poorly.

i can run it, no doubt. but on 15-30.40 fps, its very unstable when it comes to fps , unless models are fast

I have exactly the same CPU and just on board graphics. No problems with CM. But then I run it under OSX and never measured fps - if it doesn't stutter with everything on max I won't complain. :)