Javelin dawn and dusk

antaress73

I am having trouble with this cross over thing. In principal I get it but a typical day in Europe when will this happen? For example lets take the temperature this August 1st in Nizhyn:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/ua/nizhyn/321998/month/321998?monyr=8/01/2014

High of 33C and a low of 18C.

If soldiers are running around at 36C and tanks are driving around with engines running at 50C or even 40C when is the background ever going to be even close to the temperature of either people or vehicles.

Guide me in a direction that explains how any IR cross over could happen at all in this environment.

Ground/vegetation/building/vehicle temperature is not the same as air temperature. Everything absorbs and retains heat at different levels. Take for example the beach. It could be 80 degrees outside, but the sand is 110 degrees and the ocean is at 50 degrees. When the sun sets the sand gives off all its heat and its temperature drops. When the temperature of the sand drops to the same temperature as say, a person lying the sand, the person begins to blend in with the sand, because the temperature is essentially the same. And consider that for vehicles, at the night the metal armor cools down toward the ambient temperature, and that the only distinctively warm parts of a stationary vehicle is the engine and exhaust. If you have a tank facing you head on, the turret and hull could block your LOS to those warm areas. The tank won't just disappear, but the contrast between the tank and the background is much lower.

We do not model thermal crossover for any thermal systems. There are far too many factors involved in determining whether spotting any particular target with a thermal device would actually be affected in a meaningful way. It would be even more wrong to have a blanket "during this time period all thermal spotting is negatively affected" environmental effect.

For a future installment set a bit further into the future, it might be worth it to do research into weather patterns and how it affects IR systems. How to avoid being detected by IR using the environment and/or cloaking systems seems to be the next big thing.

For a future installment set a bit further into the future, it might be worth it to do research into weather patterns and how it affects IR systems. How to avoid being detected by IR using the environment and/or cloaking systems seems to be the next big thing.

IR can't see through thick clouds or windows.

Interestingly enough, I have had this exact discussion with one of my old buddies that was designated a Javelin gunner during his first deployment to Iraq. Per his words - it took an average of 10-30 seconds to get a lock and to initiate a launch on a vehicle even under normal conditions; which was a bit confusing and frustrating to less experienced operators... However his simple answer to such issues was to switch to the "Viper" mode (direct lase); which was much more practical and reliable per his words. Then again, most of their targets there were not vehicles...